1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Office depot worst account manager ever

Discussion in 'Bad Supplier Experiences' started by salmanmirza, Feb 12, 2014.

1. salmanmirza

salmanmirza

I wanted to open a accout with office depot so rang them up and received a call the next day from their accounts manager. I told her the items wanted and and she told me that she cant supply them to me as her other customers and her friend who she knows personally who also sell the same item will feel bad about it if they find out. She then tells me to change my business plan and sell something different as she is not willing to supply me what i want and acts like shes giving it for free or something. Anyways i got the prices from her and checked online to see a customer who buys one or two boxes from office depot is getting charged 50p less per item. Rang her a few days later but did not pick my call up then i rang her headoffice and got them to get her to ring me. Got a call from her again and first thing she tells me is she will never open a trade account for me no matter what happens as she doesnt want to supply to me. She got angry at me for asking her why she quoted me higher prices and she said she does not want me to sell the specific item and does not want to open a trade account for me and if i want to sell the items, i should buy of amazon and ebay and resell it. I mean im trying to get these at cheap prices thats why ive contacted office depot. Also told me she does not need any more customers as she already has big customers who buy thousands of pounds worth of tuff off them. She got quite offensive over the phone as i questioned her why i should not sell the items i want. I asked her about another item and gave me a wholesale price which was double the price on viking-direct which is also owned by office depot. Anyways she told me she will give my details to their headoffice so they will never open me a trade account. I rang the headoffice the next miniute and reported the matter to someone on the managing directors office to see what they could do. This is the first time ive spoke to someone who doesnt want to supply to me as her friend will feel bad. Hopefully they will have a word with her to see whats happening. Next time i get a call from office depot i will record it and i will send it to the headoffice.
  2. Gary Ashe

Gary Ashe

what is it you wanted ?.
    and why did you approach them in the first place ?.

i ask because you will be hard pressed to find a dearer company to buy from than the viking group, their office supply's price's make my eyes bleed, i know how they stay in business, and thats because company buyers can source everything quickly in one place from staples to coffee, then get back to facebook and twitter for the rest of their shift, ofcourse it would be a different story if it was their money they were wasting.
    Dan likes this.
  3. TheDevil

TheDevil

Actually really really competitive on prices on some of there lines if you hammer them down.

Alan
  4. Dave

Dave

I agree and the delivery service is excellent. I only use them if I need something quickly
  5. TheDevil

TheDevil

We actually got our jiffy bags from them until a company about 3 doors away offered them a bit cheaper (great for when I forget to order and need them like now!).

My guess opening poster is you are a sole internet based business and you are going to struggle to buy from stationary companys when you are not actually using the stationary...

People also get cheaper prices than you as they spend more money!

Alan
    Dave likes this.
  6. Gary Ashe

Gary Ashe

i use them as comparison pricing

i do catering teabags £14 for 1100, they are £26.99 the same product, they probably buy cheaper than me, and i buy £8.00.
  7. jamhun

jamhun

I was in that industry a long time ago (getting on a bit, some of the companies I worked for supplied them). Of course she will want to look after her regular customers, they are her bread and butter.
    Unless you are willing to spend 2 - 3 times more than they do on a regular basis then she will not deal with you and why should she?
    What we have to remember here is that there are 2 sides to every story. We have heard your side of things, she may tell exactly the same story, but with you as the culpret and not her.
    Remember, a supplier can choose who they deal with if theyhave a large and regular customer base.

James
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    TheDevil and Dave like this.
  8. MicroTech

MicroTech

P.s. Probably a blessing in disguise... Plenty of other cheaper places to buy.