1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

On business relationships

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Volantary, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SimonN

SimonN

I don't understand why Anthony and SS don't get more involved in the forums. It would be good for their business if they were involved in discussions and we would get a better idea of what they are all about. It seems to me they don't care too much about the forum and are perhaps gradually trying to phase it out all together.
    toysandgifts likes this.
  2. uhafmail

uhafmail

For Anthony to get to where he is now (or where he was a year ago) he obviously has a business brain and knows what he is doing. I also think the merge with SS on paper was a great one for him and TWF, in one fell swoop he became a director of a company who runs not only the UKs largest B2B community but also the largest B2B stock clearance. I am sure for some people SS is great and ignoring the ridiculous sign up fees i would probably given it a go at some point, however, the business model clearly doesn't suit the clientele of TWF.

TWF is only TWF by name, how much actual wholesale deals get done and discussed here? It should really be called The start up to small business forum but TSUTSBF doesn't have the same ring to it. SS is for larger businesses there is no doubt about it, the added VAT on every deal and the fee for winning an auction tells you that. What Recoverex (company who owns TWF and SS) should have done is used TWF to expand their reach into a marketplace they had no footing in. Instead they decided to try and push everyone from TWF to SS. That is like the worlds largest dog forum buying the worlds largest cat forum and telling one that they now have to love the other, it aint going to work!

TWF members resisted so Recoverex stops sellers on TWF being able to sell on TWF. What happens? The sellers start to leave. This is bad because a lot of the most active members of this community happen to be sellers, so if they can't sell here they make their decision to leave the forum all together. They could justify spending hours upon hours a day helping others because they could see it as an investment, the more someone is known the more trusted they are and thus the more items they sell.

So as the sellers leave, so does the level of discussion, as the level of discussion falls so does the appeal to other members to carry on posting. And slowly but surely the once great community dies. And that is a real shame.

So Recoverex directors, if you are reading this, undo all the damage you have done to TWF by allowing stock offerings back on TWF. Have prominent advertising space for Stockshifters, continue with whatever the feature is called that posts SS offers on TWF (can't remember the name because i blocked them a long time ago), integrate an escrow service on TWF, one where you don't have to charge VAT to the deal (message me if you want help setting that up as you will need to be FSA registered - i have spoken to Anthony about this in the past) and you will still profit from the deal by charging a fiver for your troubles with no revolt from the community (i imagine).

Change now and you will come out of this relatively unscathed, don't change and within 2 years you can boast that Recoverex used to own the largest B2b community. What are the posting figures for the last 6 months compared to a year ago or 2 years ago? What if you took rants against SS out of the figures for the last 6 months? I would imagine there is a pretty damming fall. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Side note: i am available for some contractors work if you want help turning it around ;)
    Ross, Jed, Andy777 and 3 others like this.
  3. Oliver

Oliver

I hear what your saying too, with regard to the 'Business relationships' and 'Vendor528'

When I sold stocks on TWF in 2011 for example, almost all orders from customers would result in a follow up order / restock. Although this is happening on SS (every now and then) this isn't nearly as often as it used to happen.
    I think its customers perception, they see stockshifters website and buy through it, rather than researching what else that same vendor has to sell.

I fully understand why there is the hidden vendor names, because naturally if business names were shown it would encourage buyers to go directly to the sellers. However I do think there could be a positive element to showing the vendor names. If a particular vendor is doing continuously good deals and lots of buyers are making repeat purchases, seeing the name pop up in future may reinforce their trust in both the vendor and SS - very much how you 'feel comfortable' when you order from the same supplier week in week out.
  4. Oliver

Oliver

Never missing a business opportunity eh Tom ;)
  5. toysandgifts

toysandgifts Banned Member

Vendor names don't have to be replaced by business names. Owners name should do fine, then at least you know who the person is. Because currently, you have no idea who the person is, it could be MR X, the same guy who ripped you off several years ago. You just don't know. It could be a moron that lives in your area who is nothing more than a trouble maker.

Tom has nailed it. Some business decisions can go wrong, and it's about setting that wrong right and pulling out before the bad consequences become disastrous.
    Oliver likes this.
  6. toysandgifts

Reckon Pete's blood pressure is gonna rocket sky high.

Going back to the topic of the thread. Ales, who is this woman you found?? I can see her being useful, we could sort something out if your interested
  7. planner

planner

Richard aka shopofrolix told me a story that 1 member from this site trusted him with £2,000 worth of gear. Now you can only do that sort of business with people you get to know not shadows. No I won't kiss & tell. :)
  8. toysandgifts

That person was me;)
  9. planner

planner

Unless that was another business venture. He didn't tell me lol.
    toysandgifts likes this.
  10. toysandgifts

I was just kidding.

But the point you make is bang on. Stuff like this won't happen anymore.
  11. Pete

Pete

BTW, there are any number of forum members who have been extended credit in some form or another by me. There are some who I will "front" or consign goods to who can pay me when the goods are sold. There are others who place 4 figure custom orders from China where I place the orders with the factories, putting myself at risk before receiving their bank transfers to my HK HSBC account.

There are also some here I would certainly "wait until the check cleared" before buying the postage, let alone the products. As ye sow, so shell ye reap. (Or weep!)
    planner likes this.
  12. psxgamer

psxgamer

I originally joined TWF for all the info I found as a start up, never been interested by the stock offers. Although many of the people offering stock were also commenting in other topics. The way they contributed to the community is a great way to get to learn somebody and to build a relationship. I can only remember 1 time that I actually bought some physical goods. However I've bought several services on this forum.

A good example are Pete and Ebafy. Yes I can easily find simular hosting with a company in my country and a simple Google search would show me dozens of designers. But I decided to to use Pete and Ebafy for it. The reason is very simple: TWF showed me the people behind the company and showed me people that I could trust.

This is something that made TWF special for me. Although I don't really care about the whole SS deal, I do feel as it has taken out part of the soul of TWF. The stock offers are now anonymous. Building up a relationship with another TWF member will become much more difficult.

Building this relationships is what's making a community. No relationships = no community. No community = no TWF.

I know you have to evolve. Standing still = going backward. However don't slaughter the chicken with the golden eggs. In the UK you have Ebay, Amazon and Gumtree. In my Country you have Ebay and 2 popular Gumtree-like sites. When I look back to last few years.

Ebay made numerous changes having a dramatic effect on trafic and sales. One of the 2 Gumtree-like sites was sold to a French competitor. They kept the name and look of the site but made a whole buch of other changes. The result was that the traffic plumbed. Lately they have made a few new changes going back to the way things were and there's back a huge increase in traffic. And then there's the last site. There haven't been any remarcable changes for as far as I can remember. All the traffic the other sites lost, went integrally to this site. This site is now by far the most popular of the 3.

Just to show change isn't always for the good.
  13. Gary

Gary

14. ebafy

ebafy

I get lost with all these threads being moved :\ trying to keep up is a headache
    Gary likes this.
  15. Gary

Gary

Can understand that, but when a full blown discussion evolves within another discussion that also detracts from the original topic, and in all honesty, is only generally done when in the wrong section and. or, when a new thread maybe should have been started in the first place (which I'm sure that Dean would have done if he realised it would have gone more than a few comments).
  16. ebafy

ebafy

Gary, I best your desk is super organised :D
  17. Ross

Ross

I wish my desk was organised, always looks like a bomb has gone off.
    ebafy likes this.
  18. ebafy

ebafy

Ross, us creative folk can get away with it (I hope?!)
    Ross likes this.
  19. Gary

Gary

You trying to say I'm not creative :p

Seriously I do like to know there things are, and generally know if something is on my desk (but sometimes need to dig for it), so just like most working desks I would imagine, but get what you mean, as in if someone else comes and moves things I don't know where anything is, so more like organised chaos at times...lol

Edit:

Now this is getting off topic with a 'how tidy is your desk' discussion based on splitting an off topic discussion, define irony...lol
  20. ebafy

ebafy

noooooooooooooo!
    Gary likes this.