1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Opencart: Everything you need to know

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by psxgamer, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Number42

Number42

So far my journey into opencart has been a positive one. It's admin navigation is a lot simpler to zencart and it just feels a lot more intuitive when adding products but like you said there is a lot not included that should be that you have to pay for in extension mods.

I'm considering signing up to PayPal pro, any idea if it will integrate to take payments in opencart without redirecting to the 3rd party payment site?
  2. psxgamer

psxgamer

I'm just using the standard PayPal. You have to change something in your PayPal settings, but once done when a customer has done the payment he will be automatically redirected to your website.

During checkout your customer just sees the normal PayPal pages where he can see the details of his order, just needs to fill out his PayPaladdress and login and confirm the payment.
  3. Number42

Number42

Thanks, I've already integrated PayPal standard however I was reading that accepting card payments directly on your website can help boost conversions not to mention some people who don't have a PayPal account get confused how to just pay by card through the PayPal standard gateway.

So I was hoping to try out PayPal pro and see how it does im just not sure if opencart or a mod supports accepting PayPal pro card payments directly on the site without redirection to take the payment before returning to the site again.
  4. manishp100

manishp100

I had a question about seo friendly urls, dont worry just found the answer lol
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. labeshops

labeshops

Paypal pro integration is built in to opencart - just sign up on paypal's site and plug in the api info in the module in extensions > payments > paypal pro (or paypal pro uk). It collects the card data on your site (make sure you have SSL).

I've used opencart for 2 years and highly recommend it - I'm LABEShops in their forums as well fyi.
  6. Refresh Page

Refresh Page

7. psxgamer

psxgamer

I'm using this game theme myself. Sadly a previous version so it isn't responsive yet. I did ask Bossthemes to make some custom changes for me. And yes, they have excellent support. Can advice them to everybody.

A friend of mine who knows my taste of templates sent me this one.
    http://themes.venzastudio.com/denzi/default/

Best template I've ever seen. This was the lay-out I wanted to give my home page but it wasn't possible.

The longer I work with OC the more I like it. The above is just an example, there are plenty of other. These are not just plain templates to improve the look of your site but they come with plenty of features to improve the functionality of your site. I've added several extentions to have the same kind of features that come with these complete templates.
  8. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

Nice thread Koen, very helpful.
    psxgamer likes this.
  9. psxgamer

psxgamer

I guess it's the eacher in me. I've been teaching about 10 years. Still like to help out people where I can with the knowledge I have.

OPENCART ROCKS!!!
  10. whaleys

whaleys

Out of the box open cart sucks! Even the default themes are unoptimisable for SEO with canonical issues galore. Ive created and optimised loads of systems and this is one of the worst as all of the issues are systemic.
  11. psxgamer

psxgamer

Totally agree that out of the box Opencart has some major flaws, certainly what the SEO is concerned. I would strongly advice to install some kind of SEO extentions which will fix the problem.

Make sure you use good titels, metatag descriptions, on page SEO and you'll have no problems at all.

I'm using 1 SEO extention myself. The only thing it does is adding a page title field. Most of my traffic and sales come through google where I score high for most of my most important keywords.

Get your basic SEO right, make sure to create unique and quality content and you will attract traffic and sales.

One very annoying SEO flaw I found is that OC uses the same URL for the different languages you use in your shop. I've tried several SEO extentions to fix this, but without a solution. It fixed one problem and created one other. In the meantime I've registered the .BE, .NL, .FR and .COM. On each domain I have a multistore in a different default langauge to fix it.
  12. MarekBober

MarekBober Banned Member

Hi, based on my experience on OS solutions- hardly ever there is something like stable version of core + additional modules implementations are neither free nor stable due core issue and more less needs maintenance efforts. I would rather go for Saas solution, for a reasonable amount of money you are sure that all modules are compatible with no extra investment. In case you are interested in cost effective, solution from 5 items on ebay up to 50 000 and a few thousands of shipments monthly and be focused on selling not technical maintenance of your system go for one offered in Saas model.