1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Paying tax for my buyers abroad.

Discussion in 'Import & Export' started by Andy Penniall, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Andy Penniall

Andy Penniall

Hi, I have many suppliers from China who send me items. I never pay any duty on them or tax as they arrive as gifts. How do they get away with this. I bet if I did this I would get caught/found out. Is their a way I can send single items like pendent necklaces, electrical, clothes and more abroad and pay any tax my buyers would be liable for. What items are taxable at their end. I am about to start a business part time selling on several online auction sites. Maybe someone can let me know how they do it.
  2. Pembroke

Pembroke

The Chinese sender 'gets away with it' as it's the importer i.e. you that is the person responsible for declaring the items value to customs and paying tax on it.

When you send an item abroad (other than to the EU) you declare it's value to customs using a form CN22 if valued under £270 or CN23 if over. It's then up to the person who buys it to pay local tax (if any) that is due. While it is noble of you to want to sell an item to a person in another country with tax paid it will involve an awful lot of work. First you will need to know the HS Tariff number of the item (different for each item you sell, maybe different for each variation of each item you sell) , then the tariff charged on that item in the country the item is going to. You'd then need to find some way to actually pay the tariff to the local customs.

it is far easier to sell your items from your various websites / pages with a disclaimer on it saying that you value your customers business and are happy to ship aborad but due to different customs tariffs for different items and different countries it is the customers responsibility to pay any local taxes due.

You may see that some American car part suppliers sell items to the UK on Ebay with tax already paid but this is very specific (I'm not sure if Ebay.com has a calculator, or it may be ebay's universal overseas postal service that does it). Also at the moment any item you sell to any of the other EU countries attracts no tariff as it is sold within the customs union, hence all the arguments that are clouding the Brexit negotiations at the moment.

Oh one tip for filling in the CN22, you have to declare the value of the item, it is a good idea to round up the value to the nearest pound. For instance, I've just sold an item to Australia for £10.98, now if you write 10.98 GBP on the form and the person reads it wrong, or your handwriting is bad or the label gets wet and smudges, that price could look like £1098 which would attract a large amount of duty. You and your customer would then have to provide documentation to prove the price of the item and it would take ages to sort out. Wheres if you declare the item as 11 GBP there's no room for doubt, and that price is very unlikely to attract a customs fee no matter what the item is or where it goes.
  3. Andy Penniall

Andy Penniall

How many CN22 forms would i have to fill out as I will be selling on ********************* They are 90 second auctions
  4. Andy Penniall

Andy Penniall

Selling on Tophater
  5. Pembroke

Pembroke

6. Andy Penniall

Andy Penniall

Hi, I agree You'd be filling out 100's of CN22 forms, that is one of my worries.
    Thanks
  7. Andy Penniall

Andy Penniall

Also i think yhe man behind the counter in the post office will get pissed of with a big Que behind you as it would take forever to do.
  8. Pembroke

Pembroke

I have a roll of CN22's at my desk that I fill in and stick on in advance obtained from the postmaster, also as a regular to the Post office you form a relationship with the postmaster so that you can drop off a bag of packets which they can then process in their quite periods and give you the receipts, POP's or whatever method you chose to record the dispatch of your items on your next visit.

Ultimately though, if you end up selling in the volumes that tophatter want you to achieve you will have a dispatch department who handle all this and royal mail or the courier of your choice will be collecting from you.
  9. Andy Penniall

Andy Penniall

Thanks for the info on CN22's