1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

PayPal Advice

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by more4less, Apr 11, 2006.

1. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

PayPal's toll free # for the USA is 888-221-1161. Another one is 402-935-7733. PayPal's fraud department deems large sales (their definition explained to me is $5K more than your previous 30 days in sales of the same item) of iPods, PSPs, XBox/XBOX 360, PS3, Wii, etc...to be possibly fraudulent and sets red flags on your account – and your PayPal account history or eBay feedback makes no difference.

I have also been required to fax in supplier information; if you don't wish to do this, you won't be receiving money in your PayPal account unless you want to fight them legally. It's faster and easier just complying with their terms and staying in contact with one person (get their name, number (not everyone has a direct line though), and city they work). During November and December, they step up their efforts even more.

ALWAYS fund your PayPal payment 100% with your CREDIT card. If you have funds in your PayPal balance, withdrawal them into your bank account and then make payment. No payment method is 100% safe, but you always have the protections of your issuing bank to stand behind you if a PayPal investigation fails to recover 100% of your funds.

To avoid chargebacks, follow every detail of the SPP at http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_spp-outside. Even then as a seller, you're never 100% protected from chargebacks - it's just part of business.
  2. If you have to supply PayPal with a bank account in order to make withdraws, you may want to consider opening a second account just for PayPal and internet transactions. This can limit your vunerability to unauthorized charges. Keep in mind that these charges may cause your account to be overdrawn and assessed NSF charges, but typically you can have these reveresed if the charges were not authorized.
  3. delux

delux Banned Member

should i trust paypal for a payment of $25,000?

hello
    I have a customer who is ready an order of about $25,000.
    do you think I should use paypal as method of payment, or wire transfer.
    by the way i am selling shoes , and that 's my first big order
    anyone who can give some advices is welcome.
  4. Theory817

Theory817

NO! NO! NO! NO!!! NO! NO.

All your customer has to do is call Paypal and complain about ANYTHING, and believe me, Paypal will award them the money back. Not to mention for a transaction that large, Paypal will probably instantly freeze your account and hold the funds for months on end, while requiring you to fax all sorts of information to them, such as shipping documention, your suppliers information, your business license, your invoice from your supplier, DNA sample from your firstborn child, etc. Paypal is extremely biased towards the buyer, not the seller, when ruling on a disputed transaction. And they love to freeze accounts for no reason. It's happened to me and countless others. www.Paypalsucks.com has all the info. I would NOT trust Paypal for this. Use a L/C or T/T for this transaction.
  5. Saajan

Saajan

You must be joking? :eek: What about if you dont have children?
  6. Theory817

Theory817

lol that DNA part was a joke. Everything else though, they will absolutely demand from you, including supplier information and invoices.
  7. GB@Contender

GB@Contender

PayPal sounds stupid! And I thought it was the good system to use. However, I'm only going to be dealing with small amounts at a time (£1000 a week MAX), should I go ahead and use PayPal? Or go for a fully blown merchant account?
  8. Ruskie

Ruskie

I m considering making a purchase of around $7,000 for some items through Paypal. The seller is a verified premier Paypal account holder. I have a credit card linked to my Paypal account. Paypal will use my credit card to fund the payment. Now My question is am I covered by the CC company? Will this transaction be the same as if I were making a CC payment? Any advice with this large tranaction will be humbly received.

Thanks
    John
  9. freezerboy

freezerboy

why don't you call your cc and ask them?
    :\:\
  10. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

Make sure you fund the purchase 100% with your CREDIT card via PayPal. Credit card protection supercedes any PayPal protection.
  11. BrandDirect

BrandDirect

Yes, always use your credit card if its possible, should anything go wrong with your order then you can within a set period of time start the chargeback process.

Paypal are a law upon themselves A self governing company at that and the sooner they are brought to task regarding their policies, the better for all those innocent traders who have had there accounts frozen for no reason.
  12. Baseline Export

Baseline Export

respect and much thanks for that long text (story) :)

I often experience that much suppliers say: "we use PayPal, so you can be sure making a payment in advance"... very funny regarding the fact, that you will only safe with PayPal (in Germany), if the transaction for which you pay is made on Ebay! And in this case you have only a protection of 500€, which is not that much...

is it different for other countries? Are the policies of Paypal safer than in Germany?
  13. Wirelessgt

Wirelessgt

Well , what you think is safe or not.=
  14. noel

noel

good info thanks
  15. $£LL

$£LL

So say i make loads of sales (like £1000) out of the blue selling something, paypal will just freeze my account for fraudulent purposes. I'm going to have to rethink my strategy.
  16. MathewLisett

MathewLisett

YEAH IF THEY THINK YOUARE DOIG ANYTHING THATS NOT USUAL FOR YOUR ACCOUNT,THEYWONT ASK ANY QESTIONS THEY WILL FREEZE THE ACCOUNT.

EVEN AFTER PHONE CALLS sorry caps lock , even after phone calls they wont give a damned

and like myself withone case, i filed a complaint against a seller fr non correct description, offered pitures te lot and 3 weeks later i gained a notice sayign thatpaypal were happy that the seller was correct.? now how did they cme to that when they hadnt even asked for my evidence
  17. Pete

Pete

You folks have to understand that ALL payment processors have limits on accounts. This is not a PayPal, thing, this is a universal practice of them all.

Over the years, on a number of forums, I have read many sad stories of someone having a hot selling product suddenly find they had maxed out their limit and that they were having funds held. It's in the agreement. One guy, selling some "high dollar" stuff had 3 accounts, all holding some in reserves, with probably $ 50,000 held up at any time.

PayPal or any other company doesn't want you selling some crap, getting a pile of maney through the account and into your bank, where you close your account, leaving them to pay out all of the refunds for the junk. Now I realize YOU would not do that, but they don't know you and it's easy for me to say, becuse I have no financial stake in the matter.

With my first online merchant account things went well for the firt two months, then suddenly around the 25ht of the third month my sales stopped and I was getting emails - "Why can't I buy?" Well, the merchant account people had me cut off. I had a $ 3,000 per month limit and I'd reached that. It was a Saturday, but I made a call and got a lady to bump it to $ 4,000. She told me to call back Monday and talk to someone about getting it lifted or raised further.

Well, that was six years ago and it's never been a problem since then, but I was new and they didn't know me.

Same with PayPal. You have both a buying and selling limit. They rise as your credibility rises.

And when buying with a credit or debit card, your bank may also impose limits. Yeah, you've got a $ 20,000 limit on the monthly statement, but there still may be a per transaction limit. And many have a seperate limit for "out of country" payments. I always use a debit card, but the first time I went to pay a guy in the UK $ 1,000 it wouldn't go through, though I clearly had a much higher balance. I called my bank and they had a $ 600 max for overseas purchases. I had trhat lifted and have had no further problems.

So, don't think it's just PayPal. And don't think there is any magic wand that will make it all clear up instantly. You have to prove yourself to these transaction providers. Wnat to avoid all the hassle? Go to your bank and do a TT, or Western Union and kiss your money goodbye.
    1711 likes this.
  18. anotheruser

anotheruser

Pete's right, I'm afraid. And it's not just merchant accounts. I took on a bigger than usual web site deal and the Bank Internal Police Force - for which read shower of bumbling halfwits - stopped the deposit cheque of a few grand clearing because it was larger than my usual deals to that point in time. The excuse is anti-terrorism and organised crime measures.
  19. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

Also remember that each reseller for the merchant account that underwrites you is different (processing Visa/MC), just as an AMEX charge (dealing with AMEX directly) will be treated differently. I've processed close to $100K via AMEX on one card in a day and never had a delay with payment. They did request proof of delivery with tracking #s and the invoice via fax. I'm not sure if my merchant bank with Visa/MC would allow the same; in fact, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fly and I wouldn't even try it with risk to the account.
  20. greedyboy

greedyboy

As with all processors and PayPal you need to build a business relationship. You can't blame them for red flagging a new account which has £1000's go through it from day one.