1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

PayPal Advice

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by more4less, Apr 11, 2006.

1. SK2009

SK2009

i like this alot!!!!!! Nice one ultravox!!!
  2. x_Emily_x

x_Emily_x Banned Member

hey i have to send in documentation in order for them to put my account back on and release my funds.. Such a pain but i can only do that on thursday.. What im wanting to know is, i have re registered on ebay under the business name i will be using when i start up.. can i do the same with paypal (re register) aaaaaand i dont want the same stuff to happen again obviously. My payment methods in future will be via bank transfer, P/O, cheque, cash etc BUT i do need something similar to paypal which protects the buyers and enables online transfers. Any advice and who to use?

Thanks in advance ;)

Emily x
  3. RWA

RWA

You can upgrade your paypal account to a business account, however you can have 2 paypal accounts, 1 personal and 1 business.
  4. x_Emily_x

x_Emily_x Banned Member

in all fairness i really dont want anything to do with paypal again. I know it is 'only' £55 but someone in my position right now needs all the money i can get. i sold my own things to get that. it was a sky box for christ sake! and theyre banging on about money laundering bla bla bla.

i want to get my money tell them where to stick it and never use them again!

also for the documentation, i have no scanner/printer etc.. can i take pictures of my documentation with a webcam (just a brainwave to get this mess sorted asap)

Im fed up of calling and getting through to an automated machine!! aaaargh :mad:
  5. x_Emily_x

x_Emily_x Banned Member

And whats annoyed me even more now is that even though my account was suspended i still sent my item out to the buyer as i believe that is the correct way to do things.. It wasnt their fault afterall. but they could have logged a complaint with paypal and had their funds returned!

So ive lost the sky box and my £55!
  6. Ultravox

Ultravox

Do you have a personal account?
  7. x_Emily_x

x_Emily_x Banned Member

Yes Pat, it was just a bog standard paypal account- a personal one i believe
  8. RWA

RWA

Have paypal asked for proof that you've sent the item?
  9. kevinj

kevinj

Hi Emily,

Paypal is a absolute pain! It's a law unto it's self. It offers total protection for any scamming buyers and at the same time they assume all sellers are scammers. They not only make sellers jump through hoops but set them on fire first! A bit like ebay really!

Anyhow - it should be OK to email a photo jpg image of your documents to Paypal, provided all the info is readable.

Unfortunately to make a listing on ebay taking paypal in mandatory, you can of cause make a note in the listing that you only take other forms of payment, but you will need the paypal account to list.
  10. Eeezy Tek

Eeezy Tek

Emily x

I am shocked and what has happened to you, I myself have sold two sky boxes on Ebay, with none of the problems you have had.

Did you get things sorted out with Ebay and PayPal?

You can now use Money Bookers, they are similar to PayPal, but without the **** that comes with PayPal.

I hope things turned out good for you.
  11. mexia

mexia

Thanks for the awesome information. I was having doubts about using paypal, not that i think that paypal is a scam but i it just happens that i am afraid that they can do something that might prove to be a setback. Thanks once more.********************************************

Cheers.
  12. x_Emily_x

x_Emily_x Banned Member

Hello Eeezy Tek,

Today, after not hearing anything from paypal or ebay for a few weeks even though i have sent numerous emails and correspondence, i managed to get a number and speak to an advisor.

I have sent the correct forms that they need, proof of address and my birth certificate and i await to hear what they have to say within 24-72 hours.

I am not holding my breath, but i do hope they lift the limitations now so i can start building up some money for my business.

I have heard of moneybookers but personally never used it. I will be looking into alternatives although i'm hoping once this is rectified, i wont have the same problem again, if i do, at least i know what to do. I cant imagine where i would be had i not stumbled accross the hundreds of threads like this.

Also i dont know whether you can answer this, but if i did set up an account with moneybookers can i use that as an alternative too paypal?

Thanks.

:)
  13. woodleyB

woodleyB

If you sell on ebay then it might be hard.
    Ebay always encourage the use of Paypal (as they own them...or vice versa, so double fees for them)
    Plus, not too sure how moneybookers works, but would it require the buyer to have an account?
    If its ebay you are going to use, then most buyers use Paypal, and from experience, a few will ask to pay by cheque or postal order/cheque.
  14. ClumsyCol

ClumsyCol

If your wanting to sell on Ebay then you need a PayPal account to make it worthwhile. In fact I am sure they try to force you to use PayPal in certain categories.

If you don't have or can't connect a PayPal account to your Ebay account for any reason then you really are flogging a dead horse.
  15. ventia

ventia

to sell on UK ebay you must link it to a verified paypal, so start flogging that horse!
  16. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

Bank wires (TT) will always be more favorable for exchange rates. The "potential options" don't provide the same form of paying - credit/debit cards.

This argument is like saying one bank's transfer rate is terrible compared to XE Trade. Don't complain about it - just use whatever will benefit you most. The bank's main function is not to provide you great conversion rates (holding your money, processing checks, etc. is) - just like it's not PayPal's (accepting card payments is).

While it's popular to bash PayPal here, please compare apples to apples. The best comparison in accepting credit cards to PayPal is their main competition: Google Checkout and a merchant account. Google Checkout is very similar to PayPal's fee structure (and conversion rates), and international transactions on a merchant account can vary widely.

Many of you are forgetting that most merchant accounts are NOT interchange plus or straight pass-through (and you're getting ripped!). Therefore, when you issue a credit or refund a transaction, you are still billed the discount fee from your merchant bank (interchange plus only bills your discount rate on gross funds at the end of the month). However, PayPal refunds you 100% and Google keeps the transaction fee ($0.30).

Example: $2000 refund (for whatever reason)

PayPal cost: $0.00
    Google Checkout cost: $0.30
    Merchant account cost: discount rate plus transaction fee (@ 2% + $0.27 = $40.27)

And this example is for a domestic transaction only; the fees on a merchant account for international transactions are much higher.
  17. RWA

RWA

If your customer paid through paypal, then why did you refund your customer through western union?
  18. Gary

Gary

Exactly what I was wondering, basically, if you knew that you were getting more stock, why didn't you ask your customer if they wanted a refund or wait for stock before refunding? Also, when you got stock, you still should have waited for payment (again) before despatching, as sending blindly to a customer that you know nothing about and have no credit agreement with is kind of asking for trouble.

Bottom line is, as you issued the refund, you terminated that current agreement for you to supply the item at the agreed price and there is not another agreement unless the customer completes checkout again, so the chances of you getting the payment unlesss the customer decides to pay you is very slim to none. Paypal have no record of you refunding so you cannot say to them that you did not get/keep the money, as according to their records you did. Only way that knowing their paypal email MAY help is if you send them a payment request and hope they pay, if not then there probably isn't really anything that you can do apart from block the customer and learn from the transaction experience to only send to people who have paid first.
  19. sureshk

sureshk

www.moneybookers.com have a merchant service which includes protection against chargebacks, however their fees are about 7% which is pretty steep compared to paypal's 3.4% (typical starting rates)

not really used them though so I can't advise on them much.
  20. sureshk

sureshk

edit to above post : moneybookers fees are 7% for the chargeback protection, otherwise they are cheaper than paypal iirc.

also, ebay pretty much demands using paypal (they say other transfer services are basically banned) and may cancel adverts with other services offered as payment methods.