1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Postage Costs for T-Shirts

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by fashion uk, Jun 12, 2012.

1. fashion uk

fashion uk

Hi all

Is anyone else finding postage costs for sending a t-shirt a complete joke? I use to send Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded but the costs were becoming too much and customers not wanting to pay the price so reduced sales on eBay. On average a t-shirt sent Recorded was costing roughly £3.65

I now send Standard 1st Class and on average the cost is £2.70 and £2.90 for the bigger sizes like XL and XXL. If I make the parcel small is becomes thicker by the time the t-shirts gets folded into 3.

To use FREE Postage on eBay I'm having to charge my t-shirts at about £12.99 now, because when I had them at £9.99 + Postage My Sales slumped, Now I have FREE postage it's got better but still not as good as it was a Year ago.

I'm never one to question rivals and what profit they make BUT some of them charge £1.50 postage so the rest of the cost must be eating out of there profit which I must leave them very short.

Do other t-shirt/clothing sellers use Royal Mail to send goods? I have checked all other couriers but there prices seem more.

If anyone has any tips that would be much appreciated.
  2. SimonN

SimonN

If you fold the t-shirt correctly, you should be able to get large letter.
  3. saverschoice_uk

saverschoice_uk Banned Member

4. SimonN

SimonN

You don't need a padded jiffy bag for a t-shirt, a plastic mailing bag should be suffice. 8.5" x 14" should be ideal for t-shirts.
  5. fashion uk

fashion uk

Hi sorry I should of added they are Large Letters, but sometimes on occassion they get classed as small packet, especially the XL and XXLs, if you fold the t-shirt up small it becomes a thicker parcel and therefore won't be classed as a letter..

I use mailing Bags also, I get 100 for £5 but thats not the part I'm worried about, it's the cost of sending.

If anyone sends t-shirts can you let me know how much it costs you for a Large and also XL and XXL please, 1st Class also.
  6. SimonN

SimonN

Find a better way of folding them - maximise large letter dimensions.
  7. fashion uk

fashion uk

LOL Trust me we have tried every way possible, making them small but slight fatter, leaving them long but thin.

The only ones that go for less than £2 is size Small
  8. fashion uk

fashion uk

I sent one to Maldives via Royal Mail small packet airmail and was only £3.30 doesn't make sense.

The thing is I prob send 50/100 items per week, even used 3 diff post offices.

I simply lay t-shirt flat, fold arms in and then one fold from the bottom of t-shirt to neck and it's them about A4 size.
  9. AntiHeroUK

AntiHeroUK

Hi fashion uk,

I sell packaging supplies and sell boxes that guarantee your item to be posted as a large letter. I am due a delivery of boxes this week that are the maximum size for a large letter, so I'll check an XL polo shirt and T-Shirt to see if it fits and let you know if you are interested :)
  10. fashion uk

fashion uk

Thanks that would be great because if I can guarentee each one goes for about £1.30 instead of £2.70 as small packet that will save me a great deal.
    I think sometimes it also depends if the person behind the counter wants to go out of there way to get the packets through the slot.
  11. SimonN

SimonN

Give the packet a good squeeze before you pass it through to them and tell them it's a large letter. I sell a similar product that is also close to the packet borderline and I always make sure it's sent large letter.
  12. sport8866

sport8866

I sell tees upto XL and have no problem sending them large letter for £1.20 - your tees must be incredibly thick !
  13. fashion uk

fashion uk

about 0.210g
    I do vest also but they do pass as large letter so the postage cost is reasonable on them, I'm gonna get one of the Royal Mail large letter templates and check eachone before I go to the post office.

Like I say I have been using 2 different post offices for Years, sometimes they must go through sometimes not, I might try using celotape round the middle of the packet also to compress it.
  14. MSFB

MSFB

I feel your pain.

If you take all packages to the PO and keep a nice thin one on the top of the pile, hand it over and say 'second class large letter please' (why are you sending first class? dont) then say 'and I have X the same' X= number of other packages you want to send.

Did that for months and they just print off X second class large letter stamps and yuo stick them on and bobs ur uncle.

When you get onto PPI and Packetpost you will be stampting it yourself so dont need to worry anymore.
  15. shaununo

shaununo

16. sport8866

sport8866

If some post offices let you get away with slightly thicker packets but some not then why don't you pay via PayPal and pop them in letterbox ? If you are talking just mm's here you'll be ok.
    Unless you always send recorded in that case you've got to go to post office, I don't send recorded mind and I very rarely have any problems
  17. sport8866

sport8866

*postbox even
  18. fashion uk

fashion uk

This was something I was thinking of doing, Never did because post office only over the road so was easy for me to just take it there.

Are there any small postage/printing machine to be able to do this on? I take it they just print the postage label on a sticky label? I do have to buy a new printer actually or can this be done on one of them small dymo things?

If you have a printer to recommend purely for printing postage labels that would be great.
  19. AntiHeroUK

AntiHeroUK

The Dymo LabelWriter printers are compatible with Royal Mail Online postage and Royal Mail SmartStamp, the latter of which I use. I've found it excellent as I just weigh my parcels, print off the correct postage label, stick on it and take it to my local post office.

You also need to fill in a certificate of posting sheet which they will stamp in the post office, but I've found overall it saves so much time as your parcels are ready to go as soon as you leave your door. Because I know the people in my local post office they don't bother checking my sheet or parcels, they just stamp it and away I go. :)
  20. fashion uk

fashion uk

Thanks, do you know if they are with the Paypal Postage? like sport8866 recommends, I like the idea of just popping them in the post box and not having to wait in the Post Office whilst some messes about in front of me or me not causing a big queue out the door behind me LOL.