1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Postage Costs - How can you make a profit?!

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by soapstar, Jul 10, 2015.

1. soapstar

soapstar

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of lurking on this forum for a while now with the idea of starting up my own ebay business (how unique!). From my research i seemed to have missed out a major factor, postage! I have sourced a few items at good prices which i think are popular and would make a small profit. However when I start to work out the actual costs I am very confused to how some sellers on ebay are making a profit at all!

For example one item I am interested in selling is currently on ebay for £2.49 which I have sourced for £1.32 (inc VAT). Now when I get an online quote from Royal Mail this item is going to cost around £4.98 to post (furthest location in UK from my postcode). How on earth can this seller send this item with such low costs?! I must be missing something?

Thanks for any help much appreciated

Stuart
  2. CMS Medical

CMS Medical

Hi and welcome to the forums.

There are lots of eBay sellers who sell certain products as loss leaders. This means they sell the products at a loss to encourage sales and thus increase their feedback ratings and also their search position rankings.

You also have to remember that some of these eBay sellers can buy in huge bulk meaning they will get much better prices for these products than you currently are.

In respect of the postage there are many alternatives to Royal Mail, quite often much cheaper. Can you advise what the size and weight of your item is? I would be point you in the right direction better with this info.
  3. soapstar

soapstar

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. Ok that makes a lot of sense! Although this is bad news for little would be traders like myself!

The dimensions of the item I was speaking about is 50/10/10cm (Length/Width/Height) and weighs approximately 200g. Any suggestions to where i could post this relatively cheap would be very much appreciated.
  4. CMS Medical

CMS Medical

Have a look on www.parcel2go.com, they will compare prices for you but also look at MyHermes. I think their prices are £2.98 collected or £2.78 if you drop it off at a parcelshop. They also include tracking.
  5. Parcelhub.co.uk

Parcelhub.co.uk

Hi Stuart, the bigger eBay sellers out there tend to use a 'pooled volume' broker such as ourselves, where they are basically clubbing together with hundreds of other online retailers to access discounted rates from multiple carriers. Thanks, Simon
  6. Iffy.m

Iffy.m

Hi..
    If you register as a business seller you get very big discounts with Royal Mail.
    Like the item you described above would cost me around 85p to send with Royal Mail.
    Hermes offers very good rates for heavier goods but only if you sign up as a business user..
    Hope this helps
  7. TerryYang

TerryYang

The item with low costs is non-profitable. They just sell it to attract clicks, then get huge traffic on their other profitable products.
  8. Lee John Belcher

Lee John Belcher

Sorry to Bump an old post but 85p for a parcel the size of a small parcel?

I must be missing something here? :)
  9. Iffy.m

Iffy.m

Hi..
    I don't think you are missing a great deal as their has been a price increase.
    I don't know what lone of business you in but if you are and eBayer than you should open an account with Royal Mail and see what happens.
    Obviously all depending on volume you send..
    Lee John Belcher likes this.
  10. Lee John Belcher

Lee John Belcher

Thanks for the reply,

We send around 50+ small parcels a day and I currently pay £2.50/parcel

I use Royal Mails OBA account
  11. Iffy.m

Iffy.m

I send over a 1000 a day.
    Have had 900 yesterday but generally over a 1000
    Lee John Belcher likes this.
  12. Lee John Belcher

Lee John Belcher

Thanks again for the reply

Wow ok that clears things up, I mainly do wholesale hence the low quantities.

Since we are now moving into more retail I am looking for better postage options as I don't think it will be long until we are doing 4-5 x our amount (300+/day)

Is there much discount available for this quantity? I would love to know what you pay for a small parcel ;)
  13. Iffy.m

Iffy.m

Yes..
    They seem to have changed the system slightly but once you hit 200 + the discounts start
  14. Lee John Belcher

Lee John Belcher

Ok I'll hold up and hopefully be contacting them next month, thanks for the advice!
  15. uhafmail

uhafmail

So what do you pay now then?

85p for a small parcel must be a typo?
  16. Sc0tty

Sc0tty

Unless he had managed to get some amazing deal I think he has not read the size. If I put in a 1000 pieces on CRL it goes down to £1.79 excl VAT