1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Project teardrop... quite possibly the worst best attempt at naming a product?

Discussion in 'Retail Business Advice and start ups' started by Project teardrop, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

Ok so I'm new but not new here. Cant remember my old account details. Last time I was here was when I had my game shop the crazygamer so a few people may remember me?

Anyhow I recently had a bit of ups and downs, found out my energy levels are related to a recent diagnosis of aspergers.

In some ways i can think outside the box and it's great. I can pick up things and do a pro job on first attempt... other days i can hardly be bothered to get out of bed so i decided i needed to do something that would ensure i could still make a living without getting burnt out.

I really enjoy making things so decided to make what i am currently calling "project teardrop" a youtube series started with episode 1 "steaming wood for no reason" as you can tell my projects name needs a proper name if I am to turn it into a buisness.

My noggin also tells me there will be possible checks on things ie the electrics and solar panel system required but I cant find any reference to them. The cooking is to be from a camping stove that runs off the small fat cylinders you can fit in your hand so I dont think that needs a gas test as was bought from go outdoors and should be tested to ce standards? Any advice or suggestions of a good catchy name that's not going to cause world war 3... I mean a letter from a lawyer about copyrights would be much appreciatted and maybe recommendations on anyone who can make a cheapish good quality short video ad for a viral campaign? Anyhow heres a pic of the caravan coming towards the finishing line.... ********************************* it's still to be polished to a mirror finish and needs the door and window installing the other side about 3 or 4 days work left on it I hope
  2. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

3. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

Sorry I tried to share the picture it wont let me?
  4. Erik

Erik

Link to image here:
    https://pasteboard.co/IvB8FRd.jpg [​IMG]

Quoting so the links will be visible.

@Project teardrop - Please note that embedding images from pasteboard is not possible. You could upload this to somewhere else then embed it to the forum.

All the best!
  5. Jed

Jed

Getting a letter from an IP/copyright lawyer is a bit overkill (okay, monstrously overkill) for naming a hobbyists caravan project...

I really see no reason or purpose to do this. But if you really want to, it will cost you a few thousand.

I also wouldn't waste money on a video as this will not go viral.

P.S - Get a tripod and set the camera up, it makes me feel nauseous having the camera a few centimeters away from what you're trying to film.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  6. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

The plan is to take some better pictures where it wont be on my drive obviously but the thought was to get the orders in. My main thought was just to make sure I'm not using a name that's already taken.

Cost of build and labour hours on it I'm curious too see what people would value it at. Examples I've seen go from 3.5k too 14k. 3.5k one wasnt actually finished nor did it have solar panel ect. I'm about 3 days from having the main cabin finished.

I've been busy crafting away not had chance to come back online. Emails for notifications must be in my spam folder.

But yeah my plan was to try and make something low budget. Theres plenty sites for freelancers to edit and polish videos up for cheap. Even get a voiceover for a fiver. I've looked and some of the examples are hilarious.

Last night I wired up some external lighting think that makes an awesome feature though I wish I'd planned ahead as the ceiling was all classed so had to go through the wall slightly lower than I wanted too.... but I'm finding mistakes I've made this time like them I can plan in correctly for the next one. Maybe a cnc cutting of the side panels and door/window openings is more cost effective than the space and time needed to create them myself ect...
  7. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

Someone will have quote me for the video, it still isnt showing even embedding them
  8. Jed

Jed

Ohhhhh you're planning to build and sell these? I thought it was just a video build series for Youtube.

Would they need to go through some form of test to be confirmed road legal?

I wouldn't worry about the name unless you turn it into a ltd company.
  9. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

Well at the moment I'm registered as a Ltd company as a builder so have been planning to start it under that tbh. The first build has come from the buisness and some start up cash I put in from inheritance I recently received.

Yeah I've been looking into this and all I can find are regulations on the chassis itself. My idea was to price the caravan to include a new alko trailer.

If I dont use anything gas then it doesnt need any testing in the form of utilities it seems. I've setup the electrics as I actually did half a year in college and to setup a solar system 12v is so easy a few crimps and screws and you have off grid power these days they come in kits and a 100w solar kit with 110ah leisure battery has seemed to keep a 22 litre fridge running all night with the external leds running for about 4 hours. Battery went to 12.5v when I checked this morning and with full cloudy skyscrapers I'm getting 2.1a charge. I may just get away with the 100w solar panel for myself but I'd definetly upgrade the panel size for the next one.
    Good pure sine wave inverter converts it to 230v for me and that's wired to plug sockets in the caravan which all also have usb chargers built in.

In regards to other things I have found that you just need to make sure the trailer is good and has the proper tail lights, these can just be bought premade on clip on boards as you probably already know and it must have mudguards over the wheels.

Cooking will be gas but I've figured the way round having to have any tests done by simply buying a camping stove that attaches to a disposable can of gas, it's not a basic one but the only difference is it attaches to the better quality slightly fatter but shorter cans of portable gas that dont stop working when it's a slightly chilly day.

I'd say I'm a pack of cladding short of finishing and ran out of wood varnish too. Trip to local diy store in a bit and grab them. Oh and a sink for the back kitchen part.

Cant believe the cost of those caravan sink kits with the 12v pump (£250ish). Same goes for the 3 way fridges (£600ish) which made me choose the mains powered solution to refrigeration. Does anyone happen to stock anything in regards to the sink here can sort anything out there then give me a shout btw

Cant wait have the thing done. Was half complete and I still didnt have a tow bar for my car for a test. Got one now but I'll sort the gearbox out before I put the bar on ‍♂️ missed that on the test drive
  10. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

Apologies for my typo errors I believe skyscrapers was supposed to be just sky and i tried using a laughing emoji came up as a gender symbol
  11. Project teardrop

Project teardrop

I can also sadly confirm my worst fears... a 100w solar panel will only half charge my 110ah battery in a days worth of sun. This will need addressing with the bigger solar panel I spotted. A 310w solar panel is £125 yet I paid £120 for the 100w with charge controller. The charge controllers start from as little as £10 so I should have bought them separately and cobbled the kit together. Literally 4 wires 2 from solar panel to charge controller and 2 back out to the battery and you have easy electricity. I couldnt understand the maths on some of the conversions and guessed my solar panel size I'd need. I had thought I'd ordered 200w but must have changed the option to just one panel sadly