1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Quick Guide to Finding UK Trade Suppliers | Better than an eBay Supplier List!

Discussion in 'Supplier Discussion' started by JustCraig, Jun 12, 2010.

1. JustCraig

JustCraig

Not really an article, but I thought I would post some useful links/tips for people who are looking for suppliers.

Free one line supplier directories;

Here are a couple of free on line recourses for finding suppliers;

The Trader - Available from WHSmiths or free on line at The Trader

The Wholesaler - The Wholesaler

And of course TWF markepplace - Perfect for people who have limited funds or no trading history, but equally as good for established retailers.

Marketplace

Finding a Brands official Distributors;

Quite often most Brand Names will list their official distributors on their corporate websites; Some will have a dedicated section, other will list them as partners. For example;

Apple Products;

http://www.apple.com/uk/buy/distributors/

Microsoft;

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/lessthan250/microsoft-authorised-distributors.mspx

This isn't always the case but its always worth a look. Failing that you could always contact them and ask for a list of authorised distributors, The only problem with "official distributors" is that they genrally only deal with established retailers, but as ever, worth a shot.

Trade Magazines

Trade magazines can provide you with a wealth of information about your chosen industry, they are packed with vital news, reviews and stories that directly relate to your sector and are often littered with details of suppliers, from the major distributors to the small wholesalers.

Here are a couple of links that highlight some of the Trade Magazines available; if your industry is not there, they are easy enough to find on Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trade_magazines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Trade_magazine_stubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:professional_and_trade_magazines

Business listings

Business listings are another good source for finding suppliers locally. i.e.

The Yellow pages (The physical Phone Book) or Yell.com For example, here are some clothing wholesalers and manufacturers within the UK;

Yell.com

Or you could use something more specialest like Kelly search

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/

Buying from your competitors

Its unlikely a competitor will supply you if you are going to open up a shop next door to them (and it would be stupid of you to ask) however, I have built relationships with a number of other businesses in the same industry as me and bought from them as a trade customer. Providing you are not in direct competition with them and they are are large enough to accommodate, you may be suppressed with the response you get.

Trade Shows

One of the most valuable sources of suppliers and contacts has to be an industry trade show. Most trade magazines will have listings of all the trade shows that are happening within that industry, as well as heaps of news features leading up to the event and reporting on the event after it has taken place.

The High Street

Quite often you will see High Street retailers (or larger on line retailers) selling stock for less than you can buy them for wholesale. I know a number of independent video games retailers who buy a lot of their new games from Large retailers rather than distributors. Not ideal but that is what being an Indie is all about - Sourcing the cheapest possible stock and making the best margin possible. One week this may be a supplier on TWF, the next this may be Tesco or Asda or Toys R Us or even a promotional deal being ran by a distributor.

Hope that helps.

If not you could always buy a wholesale list of eBay :rolleyes:
  2. Simple Aquatics

Simple Aquatics

3. Dave

Dave

Thanks.

Good info - change that to excellent info - I have saved hours of searching by using one of your links.

Dave.
  4. truereddevil

truereddevil

A good tip i can also give i do this weekly in whsmiths find a magazine on the industry your interested in and go to the back pages you will always find suppliers

Also just walk into shops especially your competitors and look at products you will always find on the label of that product where that item comes from i spend many hours doing this and gives you excellent leads towards suppliers
  5. Bridgey

Bridgey

Excellent information, much appreciated!

I work in WHSmith's so that could be useful for me!
  6. hector2000

hector2000

7. Anthony

Anthony

Great guide, Craig. I've pinned this thread!

Another resource is this forum (besides the marketplace) and the suppliers section. You can search by keyword to find past discussions relating to specific products and research companies that you may be thinking of doing business with.
    Jacob82 likes this.
  8. JustCraig

JustCraig

Thanks Anthony and Rick for the additional info.

As Anthony rightly said a vast number of suppliers have been discussed on this forum over the years as well as numerous links to suppliers sites (I have prob posted over a hundred myself). You just have to spend a little time searching and using the right keywords.
  9. EllaStoreUK

EllaStoreUK

Thanks Craig forgot that computer 2000 was a distributor. the funny thing is i worked there in my younger days
  10. mso

mso

Thank you! thank you! thank you! information highly appreciated.
  11. Falco33

Falco33

Any UK Supplier for Computing that will sell to Netherlands?
  12. Slipstream

Slipstream

Great article, Thankyou for sharing
  13. nmonkey

nmonkey

What a LEGEND!

Brilliant post mate
  14. mastersg

mastersg

Nice one Craig , Superb
  15. zazou198

zazou198

thanks for posting that was helpful
  16. planner

planner

Excellent thread, thank you for sharing it.:welldone:
  17. Dantoo

Dantoo

Perfect list!!!
  18. BerserkerMedia

BerserkerMedia

Thanks, its been helpful.
  19. banksii

banksii

useful article, thanks
  20. gwyn99

gwyn99

thanks an invaluable article craig hope i can find useful stuff.