1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Recipient refused delivery - DHL

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by Jedec, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Jedec

Jedec

I've been tracking a shipment of mine for the past few days from Hong Kong and was expecting delivery today but have just noticed that on the DHL tracking site it says:

"Recipient refused delivery"

Well - that's not true as I've been in all day (and so have another 3 people) so we can't ALL have missed the doorbell.

I've tried to ring but they've all gone home understandably.

Could it be the case of the driver couldn't be bothered today?

If the address is wrong (for whatever reason) how do I prove that the goods are for me?

Obviously my name will be on the packages somewhere (hopefully!) and assuming that they had originally been refused because Mr. X wasn't me and didn't want a delivery of 20 boxes today.

I have all the relevent Invoice reference numbers etc., will this be enough to convince them that the goods are mine? Or will they require something else.....?

Thanks!

Never had any problems with DHL before so hoping this can all go through easily.....

Not really the best of timing in the logistics world though......
  2. dodgydave123

dodgydave123

I dont think you have to prove anything? Usually when you receive a parcel you just sign for it dont you?

They dont need ID on the doorstep so i dont think theyll need anything other than the traking number & a signaturewhen you go to collect it: :\

Maybe they just couldnt be bothered! its christmas afterall ( but still thats no excuse! the get good money working on the mail industry! )

Correct me if im wrong! :D
  3. uhafmail

uhafmail

If you go and collect it you will need proof of ID as otherwise i could go to your depot pretend to be you and scribble a signature.

I would expect the driver couldn't be bothered or had too many parcels to deliver today. You can check whether DHL have a package for you when their call centre opens up again, they should be able to search for package by address.

Having said that it could be that DHL have passed your package on to another courier which is something a lot of the big couriers do during busy times. When this happens quite often the tracking says something strange - when UPS pass on to Parcelforce it shows on the tracking as Attempted Delivery....

Sorry that i couldn't help more!
  4. LOWRIDER

LOWRIDER

Call customer service number with your tracking number & inform them that you wanna go pick it up yourself......

Some driver's don't even bother trying to deliver some of the packages they have.. Have seen it and dealt with bunch of times..

It just makes me when I am waiting for a package all day, tracking info online shows package is on vehicle for delivery and twenty minutes later it shows that no one was available to sign for the package when in fact no one even showed up
  5. Jedec

Jedec

Thanks, didn't know that^^

I wouldn't mind going to the depot to pick my items up but the depot showing on the website isn't my local depot and isn't exactly close by (about 45 mins away in the next major city) and 20 of these boxes (approx 35x35x35cm) won't fit in my car.

Will have to wait until their offices open up in a few days and give them a call :)

6. greedyboy

greedyboy

Everyone I know who uses DHL have had problems with deliveries and collections over the last 2 days. Seems the drivers are taking it easy!
  7. Pete

Pete

In the US UPS does not deliver on Dec 24th. They give the drivers the day off. It takes a year or two for this to sink in, and they don't advertise it, they just don't go out that day.

But, up until then, it's not unusual to see their trucks out well past dark in the days leading up to Christmas.

DHL has all but shut down here, so they don't even register any longer......
  8. JoeFloggsFashion

JoeFloggsFashion

I had this problem but with Parcel Force (via EMS) the person whom sent me the parcel wrote the wrong postel code.
  9. ShippingDude

ShippingDude

As I worked as a center supervisor for UPS here in the States for a number of years past, I can tell you I got this compliant many times a day and have also been myself a victim of the "Front Window Syndrome".

Waiting all day in the front window, afraid to take a bathroom break, just to receive an important package and no sign of the delivery driver all day, yet online shows an attempt can really burn your patience up.

Unfortunately, drivers do it. They roll package deliveries. Some admit it, some not...Bad day, bad week, mad at their loader, mad at their manager/supervisor, mad at the world, gotta get off right at 5 to make the daughter's piano recital...whatever the reason is, it happens every day, every center, every delivery company--more than once...my center had some 60 trucks out and I'd get 5-50 of these complaints every day, depending on the time of year.

I had drivers who I knew would purposely smudge or scratch off the address to in order to not have to attempt the delivery that day, instead opting to turn it over to the center clerk to fix the address...

It happens.
  10. cbeebies

cbeebies

Just wait a few days after DHL backs to office after X'mas.

Call their 800 toll free No. with your DHL tracking No., they will tell you when they will deliver the goods to you or if there's something wrong with their delivery system.

;)
  11. ShippingDude

ShippingDude

I swear the UPS 800# people used to make me irate with the disinformation they'd give customers..."oh I'm sure the driver will be back tonight", "I assure you the delivery will be first thing tomorrow", etc.

Often, the 800# just made customers more angry by blowing smoke...

I can't speak first-hand for DHL, but most call center personnel will tell you basically the same thing you can learn from online tracking...my two ¥
  12. bhsizemo11

bhsizemo11

UPS does in fact deliver on 12.24. I personally had FedEx and UPS deliveries on 12.24. UPS does not deliver on 12.31 or 1.01 though.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/support/operation.html
    http://fedex.com/us/services/holidayschedule.html
  13. Jedec

Jedec

Quick update:

Gave them a ring on Saturday - they said I refused delivery and signed for the package as "DAMAGED" - Err, no.

I explained that no-one turned up and the nice lady said that she would arrange for delivery on Monday (yesterday)

Yesterday online tracking shows as "SHIPMENT ON HOLD" - so, I give them a ring to ask what that means - a different nice lady tells me that I refused delivery on the 24th and signed as "DAMAGED" - Err, no.

She then tells me that the person I spoke to on Saturday has requested a re-delivery that day (Monday) but it hasn't gone through and by the looks of it no-one is doing anything about it.

I then get put on hold as she rings the depot to find out what's going on. Not long later, she's back explaining to me that what actually happened is that the delivery driver "pressed the wrong button" and it wasn't a case of someone signing for it as damaged, it was infact a case that he was "denied access" to my road due to his large vehicle.

I ask for details of the consignment - how many boxes, etc...and I get told that it's ONE box, less than a kilogram in weight. Right - I was expecting more like 20 boxes.

Surely if indeed it was just ONE box he could've parked up at the top of the road and walked 6 doors down? It really isn't that far.

Anyway - status this morning is showing as "With delivery courier" :niceone:

I really do hope that he doesn't get "denied access" today as the excuses are starting to annoy.
  14. Pete

Pete

He was issued a bicycle for today's route.
  15. MathewLisett

MathewLisett

sadly havign the item signed doesnt secure the item getting to the correct destination at all, and i even had a go at some delivery drivers for their rather rubbish hardware they carry which when you sign your name it looks nothign like what you just did becuase the thing is so slow, but even then you could sign it donald duck and neither party can prove who signed for it.

i even said to the delivery guy, i can do this and you cant prove anything, he said your signature is proof, i basically turned to him and asked if he had video evidenc of me signing the item as thats the only way you would know its actually me. to which he walked away mubling under his breath knowing i was right.
  16. Jedec

Jedec

Item delivered :niceone:

But it wasn't what I was expecting - it was a gift from my supplier and not the actual goods. After reading through the email where my tracking number was provided I found that I obviously didn't read it properly the first time as they did actually say they were sending a gift and "THE TRACKING NUMBER IS...."

Silly me :eek:
  17. Pete

Pete

A Chinese calendar, no doubt. :)
  18. Wholesale4All

Wholesale4All

Busy time for the Chinese now
  19. ifti

ifti

Ive thought about this a few times. You could pretty much sign anything and then ring up and say you havent received anything. Obviously they will state that they have a signature, but you then state the signature is not yours.
    What happes next? I mean, what if the item really was delivered to the wrong place? They have a signature, but nothing to prove its your signature!
  20. Rexel

Rexel

They possibly have something in their terms and conditions so they could try and get around it by saying that it was delivered to the correct address and someone (even if the person who ordered it) signed for it, and thus is no longer their problem.

I’m guessing this is so because otherwise I am positive a load of people would try and pull this.