1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News Remove contact details from eBay product description

Discussion in 'eBay, Amazon & Online Marketplaces' started by Cody, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

eBay have announced that from September 2017 eBay sellers are to remove their contact details from product descriptions listing page. These details include contact information such as phone number, email address, social media pages, in item descriptions, eBay shops and your own and others eBay seller profiles.

It's best to point out that these rules will not apply to the Business seller information section.

In order to contact the seller, users will need to click on the sellers ID at the top of the product listing page, access the Seller Profile, and then onto the Business Information page.

Doesn't this make it harder for buyers to get in touch with eBay sellers if something goes wrong? This process could be seen as "too long" for many buyers, especially if they're unaware of where the Business Information page is.

On top of this, making eBay sellers go through thousands of listings and edit each single one is purely going to cause some unnecessary stress, with some users currently saying - after speaking to eBay - any GTC listings that are non-compliant will not be auto re-listed from the 1st of October 2017.

Looks like you all have till tomorrow to fix this....
  2. 1320star

1320star

Yes and I've just spent ages removing my customer support no. from my listings, however if you scroll down to the bottom of listings which I'm sure isn't hard for those few buyers that actually look at an item description its all there in Business Seller information, I don't think they are going to remove that are they.
  3. Online Seller UK

Online Seller UK

personally, I think contacts below description are visible but it's not the same for many
  4. Icclebits

Icclebits

I do not have ANY contact details in my listings, Yet eBay still claim some of them do?

Same for some of the other things they flag, You fix them and it still says there is a problem when they email you a list a week later!
  5. Guy Lidbury

Guy Lidbury

I have in the last two months changed my account to a business user, and ebay have just emailed me saying that all contact detail must be removed from my adverts, otherwise from early 2018 they may remove the advert altogether. So THEY ARE TELLING BUSINESSES TO REMOVE DETAILS. My products are quite bespoke and customers will not just click "buy it now" on a £5000 machine weighing 2000kg and the size of a shed! They will want to discuss details and logistics, how to get into their premises, and this cannot realistically be done by endless emails. What is one to do? Ebay are doing this purely to prevent any temptation whatsoever to trade outside of ebay. What it actually will do is mean sellers lose sales as customers cannot get the detail they require. Any thoughts on this??
  6. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

As far as I'm aware, all they require are emails regarding any outside business website and say if you are including your business address within the main description. You can add details such as 'please contact via ebay messages for further details' where you can discuss delivery options or collection address. Within the postage options you still have the ability to offer payment on collection so I don't think they are attempting to stop cash on collection as this is done for a number of large items such as vehicles but what people tend to do is then cancel the order if it was an auction whereby they don't have to pay the final value fee even though they have been paid so not sure if ebay will ever be able to get around that.
  7. Amandajane

Amandajane

I have recently changed to a business seller on ebay, I have repeatly removed my email address from my listing, although it is listed by ebay at the bottom. I sell personalised printed t-shirts, so need to communicate with buyers. I got suspended for 7 days for answering an question sent to me buy a buyer asking a question. Now two weeks later I have been suspended again for answering someone who emailed me a question to ask me to confirm if I could get a t-shirt out that day. Within minutes ebay sent me a message saying I'm suspended for good, for speaking to a seller who has not purchased yet. Accusing me of trying to get a sale outwith ebay.
    I can't put up new listings, or give feedback. They are still selling my items, every day, I am still sending them out until I can find another place to advertise. I phone ebay to see what the score is. I am told I am suspended for good, when I asked will they shut my listings down. How long have I got. Its up to me to shut it down.
    I wonder if this is legal? Don't know how to proceed. I'm hearing about 4 traders this week suspended, one flew to ireland and marched into their offices. Threatened them with the ombudsman and got it sorted out. He is a bigger trader than me. Has anyone else been suspended.
  8. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

I think there must be more to it than that. I have had a personalised printed gift shop on ebay that did very well but i closed it due to a number of difficulties on the ebay platform. Ebay is not suited for personalised gifts and needs to really change the way it operates. Many of my items required messages back and forth through ebay in order to get and receive the correct print details + any additional details required. Half the time customers forgot even through the listing clearly gave the details I required in order to print so I had to chase customers for these. I closed this shop back in June and never had any issues with ebay. I had a fair few customers comtact me asking if they could collect items instead of me send them out. Things might have changed since June but I still haveanother ebay shop which sells niche garments and I still print alot of my own t-shirt designs within this shop. Even though there should be little need for a customer to contact me asking questions they still do and I still reply, much like I have sent a handful of questions to other sellers for things I want to buy on ebay particularly this week. 2 days ago I sent a question asking wanting an informative answer only for a seller to reply with the simple few words 'it's best just to call our shop on the number below'. They have a fair few thousand items sold each month so I can't see ebay going to town on everybody that talk through ebay although with that reply I could see ebay taking a dim view. I feel something more in your case has to be said to warrant ebay for suspending you and the other seller you mention.
Tags: