Ripped off for £2300

Discussion in 'Bad Supplier Experiences' started by John Smith, Jun 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Smith

John Smith

**************************************************************** Hello, I have recently sent £2300 to a company in Pakistan for 25 Ipods by Telex Transfer. I found the company in a directory which claims to check each of its companys by hand and has 100's of listings, which is why I trusted it. I sent the money and recieved no goods or no response from the wholesale company, which was selling a whole load of other stuff besides ipods. The directory has a feedback facility, but when I went to use it, it dosn't work, so this company in Pakistan can carry on trading and I can see that they have had a lot of customers.

This money is all the proffit I've made since I started trading on ebay. Is there anything I can do to get it back. The directory company just tells me to leave feedback it is taking the p***
  2. Martin

Martin

Oh dear, we've already had a lengthy discussion about iPods. I can't suggest any way to get your money back but you should contact the police.

(As far as iPods go, everyone should be aware that Apple don't make a huge profit on these. They sell for £160+ ($299) so the manufacturing price is going to be well over £100. Consequently, if you are offered a "new" iPod for less than £160 you can be fairly sure that it's a scam. Neither Apple nor Apple dealers are selling for less than £160. Even if you are an Apple dealer, buying in bulk, you will be paying about £150 because the dealer profit margin is typically 6%.

So anything less than £160 is NOT the latest iPod model and may even be the very early 10Gb version that uses a plug-top charger instead of a charging "dock" or stand. It could even be a used "refurbished" old model.)
  3. John Smith

John Smith

Thanks for your help. This ipod comes with a 1 year warrenty, but the company that sells them has a yahoo email address. i should have been much more careful especialy as the price was so good. The reason I thought it was for real is because about 2 months ago I brought 100 Motorola bluetooth hs800 headsets for £6 each off of a company in america, they were brand new and sold for £30 - £40 and all of the customers were pleased, it must have been an error in the price. That was one of my first deals and I thought deals like that were common.

I think this is some kind of payback for my good luck because the proffit I made off of the headsets is almost the same as the money I've been ripped off from the pakistan company.
  4. infocraze

infocraze

Try everything you can, get in touch with the police, speak to your bank, try ringing the company, speak to the directory personnel etc. If all fail, you are going to have to be patient and treat it as a nightmare. [​IMG]
  5. geekboy

geekboy

The biggest alarm bell should have been the location of the company. Never deal with anyone outside of Europe or the US, its just not worth the risk...
  6. out-takes

out-takes

The biggest alarm bell should have been the location of the company. Never deal with anyone outside of Europe or the US, its just not worth the risk... ?????????

I think anyone who dismisses the rest of the world will never find the real deals that are out there to be had. I have imported from China with releative ease and at a fraction of the cost of which Europe and the USA could offer. I do not think the lesson here is where you buy your stock from but the simple research that can be done before spending large sums of cash. I always insist on seeing documentation and obtaining testimonials and then and only then do i make an informed decision whether to deal with them.....

Impulse and greed are funny things and should never be an integral part of business..
  7. infocraze

infocraze

And also try out with a small order first, dont just jump onto a container load of products with your first order! [​IMG]
  8. Edwardo

Edwardo

Which method did you use to pay for the iPods ? Conteact the company you used they may have soe fraud protection scheme. Also i agree with others - definately contact the police, even if they cant do anything get a crime number. It will help when you talk to the credit card company or bank.

Sorry to hear your misfortune

Ed
  9. Zakariy

Zakariy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    I agree - Great deals out there and be shouldn't ignored. If you are dealing with anyone outside Europe and USA then you just have to be a little bit more careful.
  10. suitusir

suitusir

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

The advice given is probably the best you are going to get.

I never deal with countries like pakistan, europe and US are the best, china is ok, as if the police do catch you for doing things wrong the punishments are not light.

Contact the police, or a debt collector or alternative in pakistan and give them 20% of the final amount they collect.

i would prefer to receive 2k back than lose the lot, but the money should be paid on completion of funds in your bank, they may ask upfront and just say no chance.

I would put this down to bad luck and get on with your next success, you have done before and you will do again, come back stronger and you will be fine.

An expensive lesson but worth getting out of the way now.

I hope that helps a little.

Have a great day

Your friend,

Kevin
    http://www.1st-in-finance.com

1st in financial issues
  11. matt_m_99

matt_m_99

Hi,
    Also ask for some low value samples before plunging in with the big order,

Surely losing £50.00 on an order is better than losing £2300.

I think the advice of Kevin (suitusir) is also a good idea of employing some one to try and help you,
    Matt
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.