1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News Royal Mail First National Strike

Discussion in 'Business News & Resources' started by Cody, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody

Christmas is coming upon us, and with this we always worry about the busy delivery period and if Royal Mail can deliver. Last year, Royal Mail delivered over 130 million parcels.

However, we've just found out that the Communication Workers Union has announced the result of its 110,000 ballot this afternoon in Manchester. With 89% on a turnout of 73% backing the strike, meaning the threshold of 50% needed for this action to go ahead has been met.

This will be the first strike since the Royal Mail was privatised just four years ago, and there's also concern for their future as there has been a 17% drop in Royal Mail shares. Is privatisation such a good idea after all?

Whilst others believe the "managerial leadership" of the Royal Mail has failed, Royal Mail itself insists that there are no grounds for this action to take place. They have a very good pension scheme, and offer up some of the best salaries by paying over 45%-50% more than their competitors national living wage pay.

Royal Mail say they are still committed to finding a good deal on pensions and pay.

The Communications Workers Union general secretary said: "Postal workers are under relentless pressure to work faster, harder and cheaper. This has nothing to do with driving growth and innovation, it's all about the tired old thinking of privatisation and asset-stripping.”

Strikes are most likely to take place over the Christmas period - and because the ballot is valid for the next six months, this seems inevitable.
  2. Top Labels Online

Top Labels Online

Yes I use Royal exclusively at the moment and I am a bit worried about this.
    I am now looking at alternatives to move all my business to other couriers as my business cannot cope with actions like this at all, particularly with Christmas coming.
  3. Cody

Cody

4. Top Labels Online

Top Labels Online

Thanks for that, I have actually contacted GFS and Parcel Station as I chatted with them at the Linnworks Academy and I do quite like GFS as they are a company I could quite easily grow with.
    I will look at those as well.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  5. Parcelhub.co.uk

Parcelhub.co.uk

We have found that merchants utilising Parcelhub’s delivery management and customer services solutions are seeking greater choice and flexibility with their carrier options. This is partly due to the often turbulent nature of the courier sector (as above), in addition to the fact that consumers increasingly rate ‘choice of multiple delivery options’ as one of the key drivers of their online purchases. The case for a multi-carrier parcel consolidator grows stronger and more relevant by the day.