1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Selling goods

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by ash7612, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ash7612

ash7612

Hello I have a question.

Can I sell items on here without becoming a business member? I notice that on registration it says you need to supply your business information to start selling but what about private sellers?
  2. Dean

Dean

What would you have to sell on a wholesale site that is not related to a business? Have you purchased these goods with the intention to resell them?
  3. ash7612

ash7612

Basically I have genuine football shirts which I would like to sell. I would like to sell in bulk so was wondering if this was allowed?
  4. Gary

Gary

If you are buying to resell then you are by law defined as running a business, you don't need to be a registered company but you should at least be self employed, if you are then you can apply for an advertising membership and just put your trading name as your business name, but no, you cannot sell on here without an advertising membership.

All the best!
  5. ash7612

ash7612

Yes that's fine. I have no problem paying to be an advertising member.
  6. ash7612

ash7612

Just another question, if I am defined as self employed do I need to pay tax?
  7. Dean

Dean

As Gary has mentioned, and what my initial question was alluding to, you are actually trading as a business. You will need to register as self employed with HMRC. You will have to complete a self assessment tax return on a yearly basis but you will not pay any tax if you overall income is currently less than £10000 for the year. If you have any other income from employment for example, then that will use some or all of your personal tax allowance so you may end up paying tax on your self employed profits.

As for advertising on the forum, I assume you may have to prove that you are registered as self employed but will tag @Helen for confirmation.

Please note I have had to remove your other posts asking others of they are interested in your football shirts. You will need to wait until you are an advertiser before you can do that.
  8. Erik

Erik

As for this, we also give advertisers three months to register as self-employed (this means you may start selling but have to make sure you register yourself to HMRC within 3 months of trading). That's the usual method for those who would like to "test the waters" in the selling business and I must suggest if you are indeed wanting to try your own business and sell here, you have those 3 months to set things up, though normally subscribers in this forum register for a yearly subscription. In any case you have already registered (believe us, you really need that registration), you just need to update staff of your registered details.

Still, you must provide your details (identification and proof of address) before joining in.

The passport and your address is proof of your identity and your location. This is to ensure that the person / company selling in our platform are true humans and easily be contacted for any issues. Take note that we do not usually share this information, but we all have to accept the fact that some sellers go awry, or probably a good number of them are scams. If that is such a case, trusted buyers in this forum may request for the information for any legal disputes they would like to claim once the case was not resolved at the given time. Everything in relation to disputes and cases are done privately and the only announcements are things such as these:

http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/threads/banned-advertiser-notice-martin-jozefin.218637/
    http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk...cwholesale-mesmeric-wholesale-biohack.215923/

As like above, any information is not posted publicly, and will only be shared to those who require them if you have cases that need to be brought legally.