1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Selling rules... due an update?

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Michael, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael

In light all of the authenticity issues over the past few months wouldnt it be beneficial to all if the selling rules were updated and clearly displayed for all to see?

Currently there are 3 threads pinned at the top of the Computers, Laptops, Networking and Peripherals section in the marketplace (I can only guess they are here as it is the first marketplace section on the list)

Not only are they very easy to miss or may have never been seen by most advertisers but the selling rules thread is also very out of date... seen here.

http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk...selling-rules-please-read-before-posting.html

Surely an update and change of location is needed... my suggestion would be to have a selling rules tab in the blue navigation bar with tabs including a warning for new members not to advertise without a membership, selling rules for registered advertisers and templates available for adverts.

While I touch on the subject of the marketplace I would also like to raise my query again as to why some advertisers have pinned threads in marketplace sections... I have spoken to Anthony about this before but have since seen no clarity on the situation.

If this is available for some advertisers it should be available for all rather than certain ones that have either enquired or been asked if they would like extra advertising privileges.... afterall, one advertisers money is as good as the next isnt it?
  2. TTL

TTL

I have often wondered why certain "for sale" threads were pinned as well.

Maybe some clarity on the rules for that issue would be good, but as for an update on the selling rules is concerned, if there are "issues" then maybe a tweak would be in order. If they work and on the whole things run smoothly, to use a very well known phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I don't think there's any way that an army of mods could police the authenticity of branded goods matter. As stated so many times on here, each buyer should carry out their own due diligence checks and if people are taken for a ride, name and shame to stop it happening to others.

One last thing - I know this has been said many many times, but if forum members insist on buying from non-advertising members, it is their problem if things go wrong. Maybe Anthony could put something in the welcome email to new members that warns of such transactions (if it isn't in there already).
  3. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

No Mod ever got back to me with regards to my recent post...Fed up of seeing posts esp in the clothing market place where sellers are advertising stock that they hardly explain...no mention of price, no pictures...just contact us for more info! Fair enough if stock is brokered but at least give pictures of stock being offered with prices! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that some sellers try to get pre orders or some kind of interest in their product so as to build up the MOQ their wholesaler demands whereby they can then purchase the stock to resell...this is fine if done properly and professionally but too many adverts these days just look like adverts placed on gumtree or other selling sites, and in my honest opinion it's bringing the rep of this place down slightly...

Whilst I advertise on here very rarely I am interested in viewing adverts but in no way want to get caught up on sellers mailing lists, then get spammed very week...there should be a rule for all pics of stock to be put up or at least an example of some of the stock using actual pictures, and definitely prices! Just recently contacted someone who is a new member and they appear very sheepish about letting on about their stock and would rather discuss through email rather than in their words ...'mass advertise their stock on the forums', even though they have placed an add with very limited info and I replied via a post to their ad! This should send alarm bells ringing, not that they are offering fake things, but if it is that easy to hide behind emails, then many sellers will not get caught if they are offering non ligit items and something needs to be done about this in some kind of new updated selling rules!
  4. Pete

Pete

Maybe they pay for the pinning?

Surely, if you are intelligent enough to consider and suggest improvements, you can also understand that your suggestions were not implemented after consideration by Anthony because he, as forum owner, did not agree with your ideas. Just because they seem right and just to you does not mean he has to take your advice.

You seem to overlook the obvious solution - start your own forum and run it as you wish.

I am generally happy with things as they are and do not feel it is in my place to tell others how to run their businesses.

I do agree with Dave that old advertisement threads and signature links posted by banned advertisers should be deleted entirely and I have mentioned it to Anthony. I have not made a big deal over it and can't imagine starting a thread over it.

If you have suggestions, as you seem to constantly have, why post them here? There is no majority rules on a forum. Make your suggestions to the owner, if they are not implemented, move on.

This is Anthony's BUSINESS and he is entitled to operate it as he sees fit and if you do not like the way it is operated, you can vote with your feet.
  5. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

Yes pete, agreed, but also a business that survives on paid advertisers and relies on paid advertisers...and legit ones at that, so all are entitled to voice their opinion on some matters of importance, if it is contributing the the future and growth of the site, since I thought we were all a part of this wholesale community? There's nothing more than hoping this place does well or why we would we bother paying fees to stick around...
  6. Michael

Michael

Pete please read in full if you wish to type such utter rubbish at me...

As said above I have spoken to Anthony about the pinned threads to which I was told 'all will become clear as the new advertising options will be explained in more detail via the froum' (maybe the wording was different but that is roughly what was said)

This was months ago and although I keep seeing advertising threads being pinned I am yet to see any announcements about the extras available either on the forum or by way of email. Again my point is only that an advertiser surely any advertising members money is as good as the next.

As to your question about why would I post here... i'll just post the forum sections title for you to mull over....

Support and Feedback

As a paid advertising member of the forum surely I am entitled to offer feedback ask questions regarding advertising. By the way at no point did I say I was unhappy with the way the forum was run or say my suggestions had been previously ignored... nor did I tell anyone how to run their business.
  7. Gary

Gary

I believe Michael has raised a fair point here and what could potentially be a workable solution, I am intrigued as to what the response from Anthony would be
  8. Pete

Pete

Michael, I'm not going to go digging through history, but I am quite confident that you have made a number of threads suggesting changes to the forum and moderation thereof, probably more than everyone else combined.

I'm not saying there could not be some improvements, simply that they might be suggested to management in private and once mentioned, left alone.

This is not a community in the sense it is run by vote or majority rule. It is someone's place of business and how he runs it and changes it is up to him, not community discussion.

If anything, such posts may prove counterproductive. Would you appreciate someone coming into your place of business and suggesting moving the sherries to this corner and the roses to that? Or maybe all the Australian back on the far end cap, facing the rear wall?

Out loud while there are other patrons in the shop?

I would definitely take it as a hint that if a suggestion I made to management were not implemented within months, it had been considered and decided against and can't imagine then opening it up for public comment.

There is a private forum for the invited Development Council to discuss such issues, usually being asked our reaction to suggestions floated by Anthony, but others can also raise issues regarding the basic operations of TWF.

I feel certain, had Anthony felt the need, he would have addressed your suggestions to the council, or brought it up on the open forum.

Had this been the first such suggestion you made I would have not said a word, but it's gotten to the point I feel like you want the forum to conform to your thinking, operationally.

Like most things political, and this is political, things are probably best worked out with those who are in charge, not out in the open.
  9. Michael

Michael

As above Pete did you read before posting.... where have I said that I suggested something and nothing has been done about it?

I actually said I had ASKED Anthony about the pinned threads but have yet to see any clarity about the who what and how of how it works, this was a simple question as an advertiser which I am quite in my right to do.

I dont think you can compare this to someone coming to my place of business and making suggestions to move things around... my business doesnt charge people to advertise on the premises (in this case on the site) and I dont have a section for people to make suggestions either which if the management as you put it dont want any suggestions from its members (and customers) maybe they should remove this section all together, afterall that is why its here in the first place.

Call me curious Pete but if you think my making a suggestion on the forum is counter productive what exactly do you think your long winded public replies are doing for productivity?
  10. Michael

Michael

I'll save you a job... this is the 12th thread I have started in this section of the forum, this one in particular being the only one with a suggestion included.

The other 11 were for simple support questions when I first joined and to report any errors or problems I have encountered over the 2 years of being a member.
  11. Pete

Pete

Who mentioned productivity.
  12. Michael

Michael

Erm..... you?
  13. Pete

Pete

counterproductive as in not producing desired results, not regarding time spend in specific activities.
  14. Michael

Michael

Ok, I'll rephrase to make sure it's spot on....

if you think my making a suggestion on the forum is counter productive how exactly do you think your long winded public replies are productive?
  15. shaununo

shaununo

As a third party advertiser you have no rights to say how anyone else's business is run, you pay your fees, if you are not happy with the service or aren't happy with the ethics of a company or site you take your company or brand away from it.
    Any decent company would always listen for feedback from it's customers paid and non paying of course.
  16. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

Having a voice and being heard is all part of a forum...if this was just a market place then would be very different but a forum gives everyone a voice to speak within reason, so your case is flawed mate, as I'm not trying to change the forum fella, but was just explaining that the market section and possibly whole forum survives on paid advertisers and legit ones! Any suspect posts or those that do nothing to contribute towards to the growth and positivity of the forum can be deleted, but mods choose not to, so therefore I'm assuming are quite happy with having such posts that allow things to be discussed!
  17. goldunlock

goldunlock Banned Member

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians by the looks of this thread.
  18. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

This may be true Pete. Anthony does however promote the forum as a community, somewhere to share experience and knowledge, therefore it's a very different type of business.

I don't have members in my business, I have customers and staff. I have a chat with customers, I don't encourage folk to sit around all day and talk b*llocks.
    TWF is a public forum where people pay to advertise, it's the public forum that makes it what it is.
    I can't see how Anthony would appreciate a comment like that, when building a community is his business.
    The way your portraying things Pete, is as if Anthony is allowing folk in the back door of his warehouse to view his punters items and if you suggest to move something or change anything, you'll be kicked out on your a*se.
  19. Pipehype

Pipehype

Exactly my thoughts...I have seen one of those pinned threads for advertising I think E-Fashion Wholesale (Using him as an example) has it...I presume he must pay extra? If not then it should not be pinned. He has been here for quite a while but there is nowhere around the forum that says one advertiser is more senior than another. If this is the case I'd like a list in order of rank please and I believe the community would be entitled to it..

To nicely link onto my next point...this is a COMMUNITY. Whether the owner likes it or not it is a very different beast than a standard business and I honestly believe Anthony knows that. If he were to just tell people to F off every time they made a suggestion or criticized something well then this forum probably wouldn't have 60 odd thousand members. From my experience here I find it is his style to not comment or reply to anything until he absolutely has to or it gets out of control a few times in controversial threads I have found this atitude quite frustrating but I have also come to realize that he's quite experienced in this sort of thing and has probably figured the best way is to let things run their course. But in saying that an awful lot of situations and questions here are left up in the air completely..Eg: Glamgalore and BobbyP (who like I predicted has dissappeared off the forum!:lol:) and even the Ebitsi threads. I suppose he doesn't have to answer to every beckon call but in saying that it is a forum he is the Administrator and answers would lead to progress and more informed members. An awful lot of speculation go's on here as to the mindset of Anthony...

I agree with Michael and Dave that the market should be overhauled and changes implemented in order to encourage positive growth for everyone involved. Or at least a discussion with the involvement of moderators who actually know whats going on here rather than the ones that don't seem to. For once I disagree with Pete to a degree in that it's not Anthony's business to do as he likes. I see your point completely however I don't think it's a part of the Ethos of this forum...Or at least I hope it's not.

Seán
  20. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

Lol, very true.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.