1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Selling rules... due an update?

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Michael, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete

Point 3 should accomplish it's goals without stifling creativity. Let's not end up with what amounts to classified ads in the interest of conformity.
  2. Pipehype

Pipehype

Fair play to you for offering! I know I'd run a mile if someone asked me to do this...It's an awful lot of work to commit yourself to:welldone::welldone:
  3. Just Browsing

Just Browsing Banned Member

I think mgroadster should be made the new mod :D
  4. Pipehype

Pipehype

And president...But i've said that before but everyone thought I was joking....
  5. Hugo

Hugo

well here is my input. What if every new advertiser also had to provide a letter from an accountant. I know Santander do this sometimes when opening a business account. I know these can be forged, but if the letter is legit then it should have the accountntat details on there and you verify it with the firm. (i know this might not be possible to do with every advirteser as some on here use to be accountants and porbs don't use one now)

Another point could be credit check or name and address verification with a service by equifax or 192.

Just putting it out there.
  6. Pipehype

Pipehype

As far as I know the forum already does verify names and addresses of sellers...I think anyway?
  7. Pete

Pete

And a letter from a Chinese "accountant" would carry just how much weight? And I doubt seriously that Equifax has much reach there.

I don't know of 192, but Equifax is a personal credit agency and it's possible a scammer could have excellent personal credit, after all, he's getting money for nothing.

As Greedyboy mentioned, many of these are "bedroom sellers", some are still in school or uni and have little or no credit history. A couple who come to mind, the types I'd trust with my cash box, are Tom (Uhafmail) and Oli (Entertainment Corner) as well as others.

While I understand that one day Tom will become Chancellor of the Exchequer or a ranking partner in the London Stock Exchange, I'd bet he was not a blip on the radar when he first joined TWF. :)

For many TWF is their first place of business and denying 100 the opportunity because a half dozen are dishonest, or more like, incapable of sustaining a business, doesn't seem right to me.

This is a business incubator, not just a place for established tradespeople. There is a very fine line to be drawn between encouraging business and protecting against the occasional loss to a truly small portion of a large membership.
  8. Pipehype

Pipehype

:welldone::welldone: Well said...
  9. mgroadster

mgroadster Banned Member

We'd all be on watchdog and issued with libel suits, police summonses and High court writs within a month! Because I wouldn't censor anything:D as I'd just sit here pi****g with laughter and let you all get away with saying what you wanted and advertising prostitutes etc.
  10. Just Browsing

Just Browsing Banned Member

Now you have said that you definitely have my vote :welldone: :lol::lol::lol:
  11. Michael

Michael

12. Dave

Dave

Cheers mate, I will vote for you.
    ps don`t forget Sunday................
  13. greedyboy

greedyboy

Only should be available to the selected few.
  14. Gerrit_Max

Gerrit_Max

I don't think that such things should be done by new sellers.
    My thoughts are that especially for new sellers there to much risk in it.

For the more seasoned sellers like pete (for example) I would say yes.

Gerrit :cool:
  15. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

I agree with Gerrit.

Another example of these fly by nights has recently occurred, where they have bought fake clothing, (knowingly or not) and tried to offload on here for a quick buck.

Unprofessional listing, unprofessional photos, screams bedroom seller trying to make a quick buck.

Proof that any Tom, **** or Harriet can sell on here.....the sad thing is even after someone pointed out the items were fake, people still wanted to buy them.....
  16. Pete

Pete

Over the years I have seen many "group buys" and brokered deals go south. More of the group buys, which have just about disappeared from here.

Sad facts are even experienced guys can get screwed from time to time and what truly makes the difference is "Does the broker or the main buyer have their own funds, over and above what could possibly be lost, to make all others involved right if things don't work out."

Unfortunately, the answer to this is invariably "No". Or maybe I should amend that a bit and say not only have the funds, but the inclination. At what point does even a Pete or a Greedboy say "stuff it, it was a bad move, but I'm not refunding $50,000 out of my pocket" and move on. (Just as examples, not to imply that either Dean or I would do such, but there is a point where most anyone will say "Adios, TWF!" and move on.)

And I feel certain there has been some truly legitimate, valuable TWF members who have invested all they had, plus others funds, into deals that went south and simply could not refund anyone, and possibly lost their homes and such as a result.

I'd only suggest using professional, bonded brokers, not mates and/or forum members, no matter how well they are thought of.

Small stuff, sure. I think one time Dean offered a go-together deal on jiffy-type bags or something like that. Or grouping for volume purchases of other supplies, where the possible loss is negligible. But a container of TV's? Thanks, but no thanks.
  17. jayjrc

jayjrc

its funny you mentioned seasoned sellers and brokered stock, need i mention keekeedee a long standing member and his brokered stock?
  18. Michael

Michael

Good point, well made.

My personal opinion would be no brokered stock at all, that way you would get rid of not only the sellers saying 'I didnt know' or 'its not my fault'

Sellers should be accountable for their own deals and their stocks rather than pushing responsibilty away and attempting to wash their hands of the problem.
  19. jayjrc

jayjrc

i agree no brokered stock, it has caused alot of hassle on this forum, but how would a seller prove he has the stock each time? not hard to manipulate photoshop.
  20. Pete

Pete

So right. It's been the undoing of previously well thought of members.

We've both been here for years and could think of quite a list if we put our minds to it. Many result in 19 page long threads, everyone either whining or saying "I told you so", but the end results are money gone and so is the broker or coordinator.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.