1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

SEO Backlinking results from Pats SEO monthly service

Discussion in 'E-Commerce and Online Selling' started by Tracy, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Sonny

Sonny

That is correct :) if you see a rise in ranking but not in sales then your seo guy is still doing his job :)
  2. span

span

Unfortunatly google have made it easy for dodgy SEO guy's to con their clients with the new personally tailored listings.

If your going to pay for some SEO make sure you have turned off customisation or your going to be on page 1 after you check your position a couple of times by default because of googles new personal tailored results.

Switch off customisation http://www.google.co.uk/history/optout?hl=en
  3. Tracy

Tracy

Right for the last 2 days i have been searching several times a day on google for "mobile phone repairs" and my sponsored link from ad words comes up every time either at the top or down the right hand side.

This is strange as my max daily bid is £2.

I'll never understand this business i dont think.....

(yes i know im wasting my results but i needed to test)
  4. Gametimenow

Gametimenow

Have you watched the adsense videos on googles? It's fairly straight forward of how it works at high level.
  5. Kibble

Kibble

Are you overbidding?

If you are paying £2 a click then I would guess that will bring you a high ranking.
  6. Tracy

Tracy

No i havent, i will though thanks Filmnoir :)
  7. Tracy

Tracy

No thats my daily total for all keywords, my actual PPC is 25-30p
  8. Gametimenow

Gametimenow

Again it takes into consideration bid, relevance, position, competitors...... but the vids helped me get my head round it:)
  9. dazzafoster

dazzafoster

The way I understand it, and I may be completely wrong here, is that google uses incoming links to gauge the popularity of your site, which is only a small part of the overall "ranking" picture. Well written original content is of equal if not greater importance when google ranks websites. We rank number 1 for bamboo canes on google and have done no link buildng at all (this is nowhere near as competitive as mobile phone repairs granted), our website has also been around for about 7 years too (which I'm told is important too!).

Please dont throw a lot of money at link building until you've got a well written informative website as I dont think you'll see the results you're looking for.

Hope this helps a little.

Darren
  10. Kibble

Kibble

Couldn't agree more Darren
  11. storego

storego

12. storego

storego

Depend on your quality scores.if you quality scores is 8 , you max bid is 2 ,your total is 16 GBP, you are NO1.
    if another competitor quality scores is 10 ,he need only bid 1.6GBP,he willbe NO1
  13. wiscrof

wiscrof

14. Volatileangel

Volatileangel

Wow, long thread.

All this SEO stuff makes for some interesting reading. And I have to say that after only two months running my site I do believe Backlinking schemes like this are mostly rubbish sold to people who see Google taking so long and think they must need help. :)

I've looked into this a lot myself (a LOT!) and I do believe that there is only one result that matters, and that is sales. You can have all the ranking you like, but if your site isn't providing what people are looking for, what's the point?

If you are ranking high on Google, yet your site is generally not behaving in a manner to match that supposed chatter, Google will see this.

I don't care how good the offer is, or how impressive the (momentary) results are (if they're not increasing sales at all, then why bother to begin with?) everything tells me that this system of backlinking from completely disconnected sites, and in such massive numbers, could only do harm to my business. If there are few to no sales as a result, then it's certainly not providing any benefit to my profit.

IMO, people offering this Backlinking to up ranking are no different to those offering "1000 guaranteed visitors for only $...", yeah, you'll get the hits, you'll get the rank, but what use are either if you're still not making any sales from them? :\
  15. Pete

Pete

Smoke and mirrors, all of it.

Get down to the bottom line right now Tracy. How much have you spent on SEO in money. And how much time of your own have you invested in it?

Then, discard everything else, how much actual sales increases in phone repair, if that is what you are concentrating on, have you received that you can definitely attribute to this investment of time and energy?

Bottom line, what has it done for you?

Now, very simple things you can do for yourself.

You can edit and optimize your own site, writing ALL copy with an eye towards natural selection by the spiders. There is plenty of literature on this.

You can make sure all your images have ALT tags, little things can help.

You can optimize your META info. It does still count for something.

You can use keyword tools to find "long tail" keywords / phrases that don't get 5 billion hits a day, like mobile phones, but will bring truly targeted traffic to your site for free.

ZenCart was not designed for any of this. There are several other carts, both free and paid for that offer SEO features on each page, for each item. Out of the box, no mods, just as you add an item you add the SEO and META info for that particular page / item.

There are carts that let you make a duplicate of your database driven item pages in strict html, giving you truly individual pages for every item, with full capabilities to optimize each and every page.

These are all things you can do for yourself - free. There is plenty of literature on what to do, as far as the methods that work.

And, instead of paying money to come up number 1 in Sydney Australia, you can concentrate on YOUR real prospects by getting on forums and blogs frequented by people in your area. Someone from Amsterdam is not going to be sending you a phone. Really talk about it here. Once a week a new ad / thread. You pay to advertise, you can do it every day. Same with other forums.

I stay quite busy and all of my business comes from forums. I don't care a whit about SEO. Been there, done that. Worked fine for awhile, when I was paying 3 cents and 5 cents and selling birdhouses all over the US. But then Google came along and burned up $100 per day and zero results. I sang them that old song - Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Start a forum. They can be free with phpbb or cost less than what you've probably spent on SEO. Offer tips in articles. There are any number of ways to "get your name out there" and do it to true prospects.

Forget the smoke and mirrors. :)
  16. Tracy

Tracy

Thanks Volatileangel and Pete.

I have not seen an increase in Sales, only traffic. I think before people offer SEO services, they should take a longer look at the site first and be honest. But of course, that is not the way the world is.

I have been thinking for a while about starting a forum. This way i can write how too guides and all sorts, as i have heard stuff like this will help in Google, But again i could be wrong.

People searching for certain faults will hopefully find the forum and then my site.

I have also been toying with building another website, as mine was never really ment for the phone repairs. And would like a domain that actually says what i do.
    With that said i have the fear of undoing any advertising and SEO i have done :(

If there are friendlier carts out there then i need to look at choosing a different cart for the new site.
  17. dazzafoster

dazzafoster

Hi Tracy,

I commented earlier on this thread, and having had a look at your site, if you are using backlinks in order to increase your presence on the natural google search results then its currently a waste of time. There is not much in the way of content (informatitive text) on any of your pages, which is what google primarily ranks by. Of course if you did this work the money you spent on link building would have some effect as at the moment google probably see's you as a popular site (lots of incoming links) but not a very informatitive one (not a lot of text). Ideally you want 500 - 750 words on at least your home page of well written text about the products/service you offer (shouldnt be a prob with your proof reading skills :) ). People often worry that this will spoil the look of their site aesthetically (will you check spelling fo me lol) but whats the point of a nice website that doesnt get seen? You should include the major keywords you want ranking for used in context 4 or 5 times and in seperate paragraphs. If you want some help on this then PM me and I'll be happy to give you some advice FOC, I designed our website which performs well on all the search engines and done with no link building. (google is wise to link building and it has nowhere near the amount of clout as it once did). :)
  18. wiscrof

wiscrof

Prestashop

YOU ARE WELCOME
  19. Saajan

Saajan

Google loves content.

Make sure your website is optimised first then start adding content regularly and make sure the content focuses / includes your keywords.
  20. wiscrof

wiscrof

I say the same thing
    But there are people who prefer to pay and ignore free advice.
    Too bad for them