SEO: Do I need a whole new website?

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by Bluespark, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Bluespark

Bluespark

SEO, do I need a whole new website?

Hi guys,
    Been browsing the forum for a while but never posted. I am after a bit of advice really, I went ahead and built myself a website using Drupal a while back and was quite pleased with it, however our site ranks poorly in Google for the relevant terms 'diesel tuning boxes' (page 11 I think) and we get quite a high bounce rate.

I have spoken to a couple of SEO experts about getting the site sorted out and hopefully higher up the search results but have been told by both that the way the site is built now just isn't going to cut it and it should be started over. This leaves me a bit gutted because I spent quite some time on it, so the question is, do I take the advice and put some money together to the site redone, or do I leave it and have a shot at SEO myself...

The site is here: diesel tuning boxes for you to take a look at.

Regards,
    Terry.
  2. Michael

Michael

Re: SEO, do I need a whole new website?

lol, nice try for a bit of free SEO!
  3. Bluespark

Bluespark

Thanks, I am learning. In all seriousness though, I would appreciate some opinions on the site, as there are alternatives such as shopify that look tempting. I have been quoted £300 for a wordpress site (probably a fairly poor one) and 2.5k for a custom design by a local guy.

I am aware that the URL structure is poor, the landing page does not really tell the customer what the products do, and the site does look a bit like a blog.

Terry
  4. Bluespark

Bluespark

Oh I also wondered about getting listed on Google products feed, however this functionality does not seem to exist within Drupal/Ubercart.
  5. eShop

eShop Banned Member

Personally i would be asking why you are even considering a cms rather than a proper shopping cart?
    We have just recently completed a zencart site in the same niche. All you would is zencart with WP integrated
    for blog if desired, As for £300 for a WP site, depending on what they are offering this fairly expensive, would be
    far better for seo aswell

Alistair
  6. Bluespark

Bluespark

That is a fair point. I originally used a CMS just because I wanted more than just products to appear on the site, along with some fancy scripts such as tools to find your cars power outputs etc.

Do you mean that a cart such as zencart would be better for SEO than WP?

To be honest I would quite like to outsource the design and let someone who knows what they are doing set it up for SEO etc, along with doing the images for us. If there are any companies TWF users would recommend or if this is something you can offer Alistair I would be interested.

Terry
  7. Pete

Pete

Terry, this is not the sort of advice I often offer. I am making an assumption that YOU are indeed Bluespark and these are truly your products, making you the manufacturer / exclusive distributor / someone fairly high on the corporate ladder, not someone selling rebranded stuff from their bedroom.

If my assumption is correct, I would suggest throwing some money at a corporate website, not try to do it yourself. I'd do some shopping and other than certain specific text and such that you want included, then step back. Find someone who will GUARANTEE you top ten or whatever on Google, with final payment contingent on that taking place. Include a deal where they will maintain your site in a specific position - or above.

I don't have anyone specific to recommend, I do know of a couple I would go to, but only if my deadline was well into 2012, as they have more work than they can handle.

In the meantime, just a suggestion from someone who is admittedly SEO ignorant. (I know, I should know it all, but even gurus have their weak subjects. How many here know how to repack a sealed throwout bearing when no replacement is available?) Your individual make/model pages are too generic. Have some pages for each brand/model, etc. that ties to the specific order page. Include some truly useful info, something that will draw enthusiasts for that model, with enough general blather to fill in the page with some good keywords.

But if you are truly into this as a company website with a long-term outlook, hire a true professional design / SEO person or team who will guarantee results are are willing to be paid on performance. After all, isn't performance what it's all about? :)
  8. KozyKids

KozyKids

I bet the diesel tuning box business is very competitive so unless you have £1000s to spend on an SEO pro, I would look into Google adwords and the Google product feed is submitted by yourself in a .txt excel file.

Just my thoughts anyway
  9. Bluespark

Bluespark

Pete,
    Thank you very much for the detailed and thought out reply. That is what I came here for and I think you hit the nail on the head. I will get in touch with some companies and see what they say. Taking a step back is what I want to do as I am not a web developer, I'm an engineer; I already feel that I have wasted too much time on something I could have had outsourced in the first place.
    I'm sure getting an entire site outsourced is not going to be cheap, but as this is the front to our Business it should pay for itself over time.

Kozy: It is quite a competitive field, however I think compared to most businesses there are only a handful of companies, if you were towards the bottom of the list I'd still expect to be on Page 1 or 2. Adwords I am working on, however I wasn't aware you could submit a txt to google products so I will try that tomorrow.

Best regards,
    Terry
  10. eShop

eShop Banned Member

Hey Terry

A cart such as zencart would be better than a cms with a seo perspective aslong as it is set up currectly. Fancy modules can also been written with advanced searches etc in mind. Fuel calculator etc can all be done aswell, bearing this in mind we could also integrate wp into the same site so you are still able to add extra content and have the added added benefit of google loving WP.

As for paying someone who guarantees page 1 of google, I would not even entertain the idea what so ever, quite simple it CANT be done. Right now we are having dealing's with a client who has paid in excess of 15K in 12 months for this supposed Guaranteed results and the poor guy is now at the stage of having his site redeveloped.

Our normal eshop prices start at £209 but obviously you are going to be looking for quite a bit more with regards your site, We would need a brief of exactly what you would require and if you would like a chat just let me know and i can turn the live chat on the website on for you or even give you a call.

Alistair
  11. Pete

Pete

There are developers who will take half to a third of the agreed upon initial fee upon a specified list position and who will maintain the site for a continuing monthly fee.

In no way would I consider paying five digits to anyone for promises. Please note that I used the term performance, PAID FOR PERFORMANCE, not promises.

Frankly, I do not spend much time even thinking about SEO, I hardly fill in the blanks that exist on my own site. But I do know there are reputable firms who offer such services and as I said in my first line, this is not something I often suggest. However, in this case where there is significant product development and production costs involved, not just buying some overstocks adding them to a cart, I think my response was appropriate. And Terry's response is about what I expected.

I'm sure he has a bundle invested and a pay for performance solution, not promises and smoke and mirrors is the best way for him to go.

As an engineer, he is used to benchmarks and tests. There are developers who are capable of agreeing on a logical progression for his site, including benchmarks and payment schedules to match. Sort of a put your money where your mouth is approach by the developers, which is something I mention constantly here on TWF.