1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Shopify or Magento

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Stephanie Harmon, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Stephanie Harmon

Stephanie Harmon

Planning to put up my online store. Which one is better? Pros and cons, please. Thanks.
  2. ek Wholesale

ek Wholesale

Absolutely Shopify if this is your first online store.

Magento is made for very endgame companies. Debenhams or Trespass to give a couple of examples of what i mean. These companies mean business and require the software in order to do what's necessary to keep their business flowing through a very streamlined pipeline involving all the bells and whistles associated with it. It is not for the average John Doe and not only is incredibly overwhelming to someone new it is also not a pretty sight to try and maintain if you have no idea what you're doing. Very costly if you have to hire someone to do it for you.

Shopify is made as easy as possible in order to give their customer base, people like yourself, a chance to try an online shop without too much hassle. They have a good support and knowledge-base for pretty much any question that may pop up in your head and it's popularity means that if you can't find anything from their official site i'm sure someone else has asked it at some point.

There's a lot of heavy indepth reasons that i could go into but it would make this post incredibly wordy. That being said if you have any other questions about either of these platforms i'll be happy to answer for you.
    Roy OMAHONY likes this.
  3. psxgamer

psxgamer

Neither

Magento is complete overkill unless you're one of the big boys
    Shopify: easy and simple to use but very limited posibilities out of the box. Can become expensive if you need extentions for increasing the functionality of your store

Do some research about the open source shopping carts: OpenCart (my personal favorite), Prestashop, Woocommerce. A bit more complicated to set up but complete freedom.
  4. Ecommerce UK

Ecommerce UK

Depends how much control of your BI and SEO you want. When you choose a Saas platform your data is on their platform and if they close or you move you may not be able to transfer all your BI out. MagentoGo closed and store owners had to move. I have seen Saas platforms make small changes that kill store owners SEO.

Agree on magento, over kill for most stores unless you want to link in SAP et al.

OpenCart, Prestashop, Woocommerce. A bit more complicated to set up but complete freedom and control over your own data and site.
    JimD likes this.
  5. Tinkuy

Tinkuy

I agree with the previous posters. Don't use SaaS because that will drain your wallet slightly every month. You can set up a small VPS with 5 or 10 USD a month and place an online store there, plus e-mail marketing, analytics... everything... just for yourself.

I add Abantecart to the alternatives listed and I advice against WooCommerce. As it is based on Wordpress, it is as vulnerable as Wordpress is... which means "much".