1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Shopping Cart and Template Directory

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Proudlock, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Car Expert

Car Expert

whats the main difference between open carts and others such as magneto or CS carts etc??
  2. redspell

redspell Banned Member

In the main they all do the same thing... which is give you the framework for a website that displays goods for sale, run promotions, allows you to configure various shipping rates, link to payment processors to accept payments and process orders and then organise customer details and order history etc.

Some carts are more streamlined than others, some have more features 'out of the box' and some are more easier to use than others. Some have more developers that support them and create more plugins etc, some carts have more free plugins than others that the developers charge for etc.

To help decide which cart suits you best I would recommend that you do a list of all the things and functions that you need your shop to do and then use the links that Proudlock listed in the opening post of this thread to see the features and reviews of each cart to make your own comparisons and to help establish which ones suit your needs.

Ideally, once you have shortlisted the ones that appear to meet your needs you should try out a demo of each of them to see how easy their usability is and decide yourself which one suits you best.
  3. Car Expert

Car Expert

thanks for the detail message, very helpfull.

One last question, as I never done e-commerce before, first thing to me to select open cart theme right?, then you'll help me about domain and hosting, then I think I've to upload the theme into your hosting server,please correct me if I'm wrong, thats how it works??

After all this I can upload the products prices etc???. Also can I make some changes in templates later on according to the requirement of my business???, not sure if its possible. If I get hosting from you, is there any contracts??
  4. redspell

redspell Banned Member

It sounds like you have made your mind up that Open Cart is the shopping cart that you want to use, so yes you will need to find an Open Cart theme that you like (ensuring that it is compatible with the latest version of Open Cart).

Once you have registered your domain and have a hosting account set up, if it is with us then we would install Open Cart and your (compatible) theme so your website is is live on the internet.

You would then be able to access your Open Cart admin area and configure your categories, products, shipping rates and payment methods amongst other things (our Live Support can guide through this).

Template changes are possible through editing the template php and CSS files which can be easy and quick or not so.

With regards to contracts, our hosting plans are mostly payable on monthly, quarterly, six monthly or annual terms and are very flexible and scaleable so you can cancel, upgrade or downgrade at any time.
    Car Expert likes this.
  5. Car Expert

Car Expert

I'll see the template first then probably share with you in next few days and you can check the compatibility as well, about hosting which plan would be more suitable for standard e-commerce website??
  6. icanfashion

icanfashion

thanks you are enthusiastic!
  7. Car Expert

Car Expert

Yes Richy is great.
    redspell likes this.
  8. bobbydigital

bobbydigital

Perfect finally getting round to moving sales away from ebay and doing my own site, played about with opencart alot but good to compare.
  9. peglegtrading

peglegtrading

Great directory list. I am wondering if anyone has experience with wholesale price tables in their product site. A good example of what I mean is here: http://www.eachgame.com/goods-17233.html . I am currently using opencart and have not seen any such module which integrates volume pricing in this manner.
  10. redspell

redspell Banned Member

The bulk order discounts option is a default feature within Zen Cart (The site on your example link is a variation of Zen Cart) but not standard within Open Cart.

There is a 'paid for' Open Cart module that you can install that will allow you to set up a number of different product promotions including bulk discounts, details of it are here **********************************************************************************
  11. peglegtrading

peglegtrading

Thanks for the suggestions. Is it possible that the site I linked to could also be virtuemart? I came across this template an hour ago and seems to have a similiar feel as the linked site: http://templates.yag-demo.com/joomla/virtuemart/?view=yag_media_mall_vt

What do you think of drupal? I setup a test site with it just to get a feel. Seems a lot like wordpress but with a lot more ease in modifying. Anyways, I should stay away from tinkering too much. All I really want is a site that helps me get people to buy and often.
  12. redspell

redspell Banned Member

The website folder/file structure of the original link you posted isn't Joomla/Virtuemart, more like a modified version of Oscommerce or Zen Cart which are carts that many Chinese developers use for ecommerce sites.

Its funny that you mention Drupal as it isn't software that gets brought up often, it is a CMS like Joomla and Wordpress so will need work to get the ecommerce functionality. I haven't come accross a Drupal based website for a couple of years so I am out of date with its performance, functionality and ease of use so will give it a test run over the christmas break to catch up on it.
    peglegtrading likes this.
  13. zaniac

zaniac

I know people keep saying it, but.... this is a really good thread. Certainly opened my eyes at the very least, thanks!!!
    Proudlock likes this.
  14. jadenviiv

jadenviiv

thank you for sharing
    Proudlock likes this.
  15. taurusken

taurusken

MASSIVE list! Brilliant, Ive been looking into this and just found this post after asking a question on another provider I came across called ekmPowershop. Nice one anyway! 10/10
    Proudlock likes this.
  16. alex morie

alex morie

I must say you have done a lot work and research to compile this huge list of shopping cart software. I've come across an other shopping cart service provider Bitcart (bit-cart.com) and im using it for my couple of online stores so i thought i should share this one here. For me its working fine rest i ll leave it for you guys here for and expert opinion and review about Bitcart.
  17. pingpong

pingpong

Many thanks for this. I am in the process of setting up a website using Tictail - which is okay, but the more I use it the more limitations I am finding.

As a lot of my products are one-offs and retail at around the £10 mark, I need a solution where adding products is quick and easy (as in Tictail). I'll spend some time researching on the links, and then I'll probably be back asking questions, so thanks in advance for all the help I know I'm going to get on this ;)
  18. Proudlock

Proudlock

Today after two years since I initially wrote up this list - I have actually been through the whole list and sorted out any dead links as well as giving it a big update in content:

I have added a selection of new self-hosted carts & hosted carts alike - as well as including a section for the newer CMS plug-in carts/extensions.

I have added a total of twelve new links for templates across the range of carts.

And also added a full in-depth section for extensions/add-ons for a variety of carts and e-commerce platforms featuring both free and paid items.

Hope this is useful to lots of people, as much as it was first time around I mean.
    Refresh Page likes this.
  19. DLR

DLR

Hi there,

I am wondering to open online store. I decided to chose Prestashop platform for this. Can you please suggest me should I stick with that or chose another platform?

Regards,

DLR