1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Somebody else using my name to sell

Discussion in 'Legal, Insurance & Issues' started by psxgamer, Jun 7, 2017.

1. psxgamer

psxgamer

This morning got a question on Facebook asking if I was planning to close my shop. Asked the person where he got this from. The person gave me a link to Bol.com.

Probably hardly known in the UK but it's our local Amazon. As Amazon they started with their own online shop. Now just as on Amazon you can register as a seller to sell your stuff and pay a commission.

No clue who it is but somebody has registered a seller account using my business name and even refers to my website. As description of his shop he wrote:

"Due to closure of my shop all games -50%. You can also take a look on our website wwww.linktomywebsite.be or stop by in our shop. The shop will be open until 16-06-2017 after which it will officially close".

Of course nothing of this is true. Business is going great. No intention whatsoever to close my shop.

The account has been registered yesterday. No clue if he has sold something. For the moment no items are for sale. Nevertheless today I received an email from a potential customer inquiring about a pre-order (I sell retro, no current gen games and certainly no pre-orders). Told hold him not to buy it with this seller, that it is not us but somebody trying to scam him.

I've immediatly contacted Bol.com to close this account due to ID fraud. They are investigating it now. Waiting for the result (page is still active). Already asked them to provide me with the personal details of this seller so I can report this to the autorities (not even sure they are legally allowed to give me this info due to privacy).

They already told me the person registered the account as a privat seller. So no business info as a VAT number or so. So I guess an anonymous emailaddress and fake address will be linked. Only thing I know is you have to provide BOL.com with an bank account number so they can pay you.

I've also put a message on our Facebook that we are in no way linked with this seller and not to buy anything there because it's pure fraud.

No clue what I can do more for the moment.

I've put years of time and effort in building a good name. I'm not just gonna let this pass. But what can I do? I could press charges to somebody unknow (sorry don't know the term in English). But then what? As said somebody unknown, so what can the police/lawyer do?
  2. Cody

Cody

3. psxgamer

psxgamer

In the meantime I've got an email adres (no answer) and a telephone number (no answer). Will report them to the police this evening. Nothing else I can do.
  4. Cody

Cody

You've done the right thing so far though, in terms of ensuring others know that you're not affiliated with that company, and making them aware of their presence being a scam. Informing the police too is great, hopefully there is something they can advise on and help with! Good luck.
  5. Erik

Erik

@psxgamer

Koen, have you tried contacting Amazon as well and ask them to check who that seller is? Maybe in hopes you could get more information from them, especially that you hold all the necessary things to prove you are the real one.

Scammers these days really do think of a lot of stuff just to get the advantage, I hope this could get sorted out soon.
  6. psxgamer

psxgamer

This has nothing to do with Amazon. Today BOL informed me that this seller has been suspended and that the page has been removed.

Have been to the police yesterday but they told me I don't need to expect a lot from it.

I'm from Belgium. Accordingly to the bits of information I have the scammer is from Holland, so abroad. Internet fraud. At the police station they didn't even have an internet connection or email. Had to ask BOL for a telephone number and address to correspond with.

Just rediculous...
  7. lpbusiness

lpbusiness

Well it's been shut down. It'll probably be quite difficult to get any more from this. You've got what you wanted which was to get it shut down. Unfortunately when it comes to IP, unless you have the money, you almost have to rely on scowering the internet to protect yourself.