1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Starting a new clothing brand blog

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by paulbrown, Nov 25, 2011.

1. paulbrown

paulbrown

I am heavily involved in the design process, in terms of range planning, specification, design tweaking, adapting sampling. I do however use a professional designer to produce designs in cad form.
  2. Andrei B

Andrei B

This is one interesting thread! And your 5 tips (on the previous page) are exactly the reasons I went with a different niche - this is a though one and you need a big budget JUST for marketing...but it looks like you're on the right path!

Good luck mate and keep us updated :) We're learning a lot from this
  3. paulbrown

paulbrown

Quick update.

Its been a tough few months on a personal note, my wife had the horrible news that she has cervical cancer, she is now recovering after having a radical hysterectomy, we are hoping to get the news we are all clear next monday, fingers crossed.
    If you are wondering why I am including this in a clothing brand blog - I mentioned it for 2 reasons, one because I wanted to highlight the fact that some things are more important than a business, also I wanted to say if you or your other halves are due a smear test go along and do it, it could save your life like it probably will my wife's life.

Its been a lot busier of late, I have been running a promotion giving 50% OFF which has resulted in lots of new sales. I have been advertising this through facebook which is a great way to gain new customers, I have given a discount code out currently FB50 for customers to use when they checkout on the website.

I have new pictures done to promote the hoodies which are working really well, plus I have introduced a limited amount of stock of some new merino wool jumpers which I had from a promotional show I did a while back. These have drawn quite a bit of interest and are nearly out of stock already.

upload_2014-9-22_21-0-52.png
    Maroon, petroleum, navy & grey hoodies

upload_2014-9-22_21-2-21.png
    Limited addition knitwear

I have been giving advice to several people who have read this thread, hopefully helping them not make quite as many mistakes in the beginning stages of their clothing brands. If anyone else needs advice, I am happy to answer any questions you might have [email protected]

Thanks for reading.
    Paul

Attached Files:

4. Dean

Dean

Sorry to hear about your wife Paul. I hope she is on the mend and gets the all clear soon.
    paulbrown likes this.
  5. Dave

Dave

What Dean has said.
    paulbrown likes this.
  6. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Paul,

I wish your wife a full recovery. I had several bits of bad news relating to close family last year and it certainly does put things in perspective, in that however much we want to succeed in business, family should remain the number 1 priority at all times.

On a cheerier note, glad sales are doing well and the photos look great.

Kind regards,
    Darren.
    paulbrown and Dave like this.
  7. paulbrown

paulbrown

Thanks everyone - had some great news this morning, the consultant has had the results back nearly a week earlier than expected and she has the all clear!
    So gonna crack open a few cold ones tonight! :)
    Uptomen, Gary, JermaineR8 and 6 others like this.
  8. Dean

Dean

That's great news, thanks for sharing.
    paulbrown likes this.
  9. Dave

Dave

Fantastic news have lots of cold ones :D
    paulbrown likes this.
  10. Danz

Danz

that is great news :)
  11. Danz

Danz

hi,

I am looking to trademark my logo and I am about to register via IPO on thier website, I have quickly tested the application and it seems straight forward. Do you think I need professional advice or experts to aid me in completing the applicaiton?

thanks
  12. Dave

Dave

I applied for my trade mark myself, was easy but took a few months.
  13. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

Great news,

Have you invested in A/W clothing items? Scarves, wooly hats, coats etc?
  14. paulbrown

paulbrown

I really hoped I would have the funds to do this but due to having to repay loans I have not had enough money to bring stock for AW in this year.
    I did consider using a crowd funding website to raise more funds + just as important new dedicated customers to help spread the word.
    I have decided against this for the time being due to not needing to give up a percentage of my business.
  15. paulbrown

paulbrown

I would say do it yourself and save the money in the early stages, especially if its just for the UK and not other countries.
  16. paulbrown

paulbrown

So its been a while - cause not much has happened recently unfortunately.
    Had a fairly good christmas trade, but with a lack of new products due to a lack of funds could have been better.
    I have now fully paid up all the loans on the business so am now in position to put every penny from sales in the business back into new stock and product development - So things will be happening again now!
    On top of this I will be able to put funds from my new business selling wooden ruler height charts directly into Anthony & Brown further funding bringing in new products.
    So I am super excited now to really give the brand a huge push in the new year.

Hope everyone had a super christmas and a wonderful new year!

Paul
    Import Expert likes this.
  17. aabubaker

aabubaker

Glad to hear she is recovering, I lost three family members in two years and it was absolutely devastating, It screwed up my university studies and future plans really badly, So i am always happy when I hear good news like yours.

ps, I know a garment factory in china let me know if I can hep in anyway.
  18. NPNG

NPNG

You might want to try Kickstarter then, could be helpfull to raise money and by the same time bring more customers.
  19. paulbrown

paulbrown

So latest update on the brand! Was just looking through my emails and realised I began this journey about 4 1/2 years ago!!!!

Where did that time go?

I had a photoshoot done by a great company from Leeds - here are the 2 tops which are on order now, hopefully be out in about 2 months time to purchase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was wondering how much you think they should be priced at? - I am selling exclusively online.

Going forward I am going to be ordering another tshirt and polo shirt for the end of the summer - and for the winter 2 shirts, chinos and merino wool jumpers.
    If the budget allows for it I will also restock plain polos in sizes currently out of stock and accessories such as belts and wallets.

I really hope you like what I am doing, really hoping for big things over the next year.

If anyone has any questions or needs advice I am always happy to help just mail me at my business email address.

Paul
    Import Expert likes this.
  20. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Paul,

The tops look quality as per the rest of your products. Wishing you all the best.