1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Starting a new clothing brand blog

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by paulbrown, Nov 25, 2011.

1. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

Nice looking items, good to see you're still doing well.

For me they would be priced in the £15-25 region, were you thinking in this region?

Where are you getting the shirts manufactured? As I have always been curious about lead times
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. JackLewis

JackLewis

Do you have a website?? Where do you sell your products would love to have a look.
    paulbrown likes this.
  3. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

4. Diegoleoro

Diegoleoro

Hello Paul. I find very interesting what you say. I am from South America and I´m interested on selling clothes on my country. Would you recommend me some suplliers for wholesale.

Thanks a lot
  5. SimonN

SimonN

50/60 quid for those shirts
  6. paulbrown

paulbrown

Thank you, this is correct - I didn't like to write my web address on here in case it is against TWF advertising rules.
  7. paulbrown

paulbrown

Thanks Simon, these were the prices I would have charged previously to allow for Wholesaling.
    I am now selling entirely online so my pricing is now much lower, the Tshirt will be £22.99, the Polo Shirt £34.99, for the quality this is great value.
    Initial stocks will be 125 units of each - so my customers have a chance to own garments they will probably never see anyone else wearing.
  8. Sedem

Sedem

Hi Paul
    Am also looking at starting a new brand in the UK.
    What are some of the challenges you faced? And did u handle advertising and marketing.
  9. Eileen Woo

Eileen Woo

no.9
    paulbrown likes this.
  10. SimonN

SimonN

I've experienced your products first hand - great value indeed.
    paulbrown likes this.
  11. paulbrown

paulbrown

The single biggest challenge you will find is cash flow - turning over stock quickly enough for a new unknown brand is very difficult - if you can get into seasonal buys, you will have done very well.
    The next most difficult thing is getting great manufacturers to produce small minimums.

I handle all marketing and advertising myself.
  12. zhuolicn11

zhuolicn11

Hi, No1 the first one
  13. James180amg

James180amg

Hi Paul can I ask what your start up capital was for this venture
  14. paulbrown

paulbrown

Hi, my initial start up capital was about £100k, a lot of that was on brand development and developing a broad range. You could obviously start up with much less money, you can start up on a very small budget if you were to just have a couple of designs or just print onto pre made t-shirts or sweaters.
  15. James180amg

James180amg

That's a fairly big start up but seems like money well spent
  16. Kate V Cooper

Kate V Cooper

Hi there,
    Can I just ask how you initially sourced your designer and supplier in China? I have basic design for a new range I am hoping to launch but think I will need them to be tweaked by a fashion designer. I'm at the very start of a long journey and your story is really inspirational. If I can achieve what you have in the next 4 years I'll be very proud!
    Thanks
    Kate
  17. paulbrown

paulbrown

Hi Kate,

I used a sourcing agent who was recommended to me by an old work colleague, the designer works with one of my suppliers in the UK, so she works on a self employed basis.
    I now deal directly with a contact in China for production which cuts out the middle men.
    If you want any help best to email me with any questions - [email protected]

Kind Regards
    Paul
    Kate V Cooper likes this.
  18. Kate V Cooper

Kate V Cooper

Thanks so much Paul. I'll definitely drop you an email if that's ok.
    Speak soon,
    Kate
  19. paulbrown

paulbrown

A quick update on current progress with the brand.
    I have been doing pretty well with sales on the website, especially with the new garments I have brought out recently.
    Currently I have another polo shirt design in production which should be out in about 6 weeks time - which should give an extra boost to sales.

On the promotion side, currently I am plugging the brand through social media, but have also recently started selling on a new website which is up and coming - targeting my perfect target audience. The great thing about the site is they are run by a large corporation of very well known newspapers and magazines. They have pinpointed my brand for promotion and are featuring the Paignton Polo in their campaign which is going out in their publications - they have estimated this will be seen by about 12 million people in the UK. This will have the name of my brand, with the aim to get people to purchase from their website - they take a percentage of any sales made and I dispatch when the orders come through.
    Once the promotion begins I will be interested to see if there is an uplift in hits on the website and orders through the new site I am selling on.

I have also been working on the range for Spring Summer 16 - I am hoping to bring out a range of about 6 different items. A small range but hopefully I will be able to bring out a seasonal range every season from then on. Once this happens I would expect to grow quickly over the next few years. This does depend on finance however with finances being much improved recently I wouldn't expect this to be an issue.

Big plans on the horizon, thanks for everyone who has backed the brand so far. :)
    SimonN and Dean like this.
  20. paulbrown

paulbrown

Update on progress...

I have hired a new web developer and more importantly an expert in online marketing, he is the cousin of a good friend also a former employee who was head of Nokia product online marketing. He is an expert in google marketing and has started to get my products ranking high up (the first few pages) of some google organic searches - which I didn't think would be possible as in my market I am up against some massive brands with huge budgets.

The website has been updated to make it multi functional to all forms of phones and tablets as well as of course desktops. With just under 60% of my customers using a phone or tablet it meant I was potentially losing a lot of customers due to the navigation and the usability of the previously being poor.
    The website previously ran on a mixture of wordpress and shopify, now runs solely on shopify which helps with google ranking and also gives me a much more accurate idea of numbers and where all my hits are coming from.

I am now also using google analytics to give a better idea of my audience, so I can drill down better into targeting potential new customers.

On the sales side, I had my largest ever single order from a London customer which was very nice. That apart sales have been a little slower due to every other brand having huge clearance sales and I didn't have a sale. Saying that I would like to offer readers 30% off the entire range using discount code TWF30 on checkout - this will be available until 31/8/15.

I am now stocking my jumpers in Things British stores at St Pancras Station and Greenwich in London, I am also in discussions to sell most of the range through a Pop up store in London for a few months initially.
    I understand it is important to attract new customers through them being to see, feel and try on the brand.

Next up is the final amendments to new designs, then onto sample production. I am planning on doing a photo shoot and video for SS16, hopefully to attract further new customers by producing a fantastic video of the new products.
    Kate V Cooper, Erik and Import Expert like this.