1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Starting a new clothing brand blog

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by paulbrown, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Erik

Erik

Great to know that you have a discount promo code for TWF readers Paul! I'd like to help out and share this code on our networks and hopefully get more sales for Anthony & Brown. :)
    paulbrown likes this.
  2. paulbrown

paulbrown

That would be great please share away Erik.
    Erik likes this.
  3. JeffNevil

JeffNevil

Looks great, Paul! It's always nice to see all of your hard work finally pay off.

It's very kind of you to offer TWF readers a 30% discount- I will be placing an order before the weekend if the wife doesn't object!

Thank you again.

Jeff
    paulbrown likes this.
  4. paulbrown

paulbrown

upload_2015-9-21_21-48-30.png

Here's a screen print of one of the new Tshirts for SS16 which is in the sampling stage now - please let me know what you think?

I have put the brand in The Permanent Popup Shop in Soho, London for the next 4 weeks.
    I have also just agreed to put the brand in a Popup shop for 2 weeks in my home town, on Torquay high street for the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas eve.
    The designs have been finalised for SS16 and I have what I believe to be a brand defining range which will put A&B firmly on the map.
    I will put some more of the designs/samples up over the next few months.
    Import Expert likes this.
  5. dsben

dsben

Did you end up stocking wallets?
  6. paulbrown

paulbrown

Hi,

No I didn't stock any wallets yet, I am still considering producing them in the future.

I do have a really big stock clearance sale of up to 67% off going on at the moment if you would like to check the website for some great deals - many at cost price.

Over the next few months I am going to be setting up the manufacture in house of top end leather belts, with other leather goods to follow.
    I have designs ready to put into bulk production for clothing, but currently considering where is best to put funds I have made through the brand to best move forward.

I had to put the brand on the back burner for the last few months due to my other business increasing in size at such a rate I literally have had very little time to spend on it.

Thanks for now
    Paul
  7. dsben

dsben

Will they come boxes? We would be interested in stocking your wallets/belts and other accessories when they're ready. Please get in touch in due course.
  8. paulbrown

paulbrown

So its been a long time since I last posted, the reason being is I have not had much to report!
    The online store is still making sales and doing well considering very little being spent on new stock and marketing the brand.
    I have plenty of stock, designs ready to order, a long list of customers and a celebrity following. My only stumbling block has been funds to bring in seasonal stock - previously I have been unwilling to reduce my shareholding.
    I have reached the point where I am interested to hear from potential investors or I might even consider a creative/marketing partner into the business.
    If I am unable to find a partner who is interested in investing funds to help push the brand forward quickly, then I will continue for the next 18-24 months as I am currently. After this period I believe I will have saved the funds to invest enough money in the brand to bring in several seasons worth of clothing and promote to the necessary level.
    I started another business making bespoke furniture which is growing really fast and customers are very excited about, I am positive that it will bring in enough funds to make both businesses highly successful.
  9. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

the clothing game is definitely a hard slog and you need alot of investment and marketing to keep the business flowing. I manufactured a range of men's shirts about 5-6 years back based on the Mod style brands around and had quite a big following also using a dog as an essential part of the branding. I invested zero into marketing just spoke with a few Mod related outlets and sold through ebay to build a fanbase and it built from there. What i found was some styles i thought would sell out quickly didn't and I ordered large amounts, and the lines i took a punt on were the ones that flew out the door and didn't manufacture enough of. Added to that my manufacturer abroad didn't help by promising to quality check stock. They sent me samples that were top notch but the main run having inconsistences. When garments arrived faults were noticed on some lines although could be rectified but at a cost and time. With a decent amount of investment the brand could have really taken off but i didn't have enough to take it to that next level. The good thing is you are manufacturing here in the UK making things far more fluid to operate and I assume the overall quality will no doubt be better but with that comes pricier fabric and manufacturing costs. I remember when you started out and have followed your posts on here from the beginning as feel I've been down pretty much the same path although you have a far classier brand and great looking website. I started by selling other branded shirts but deep down always wanted my own brand and was fairly naive when starting out. I spent a good year working closely with the factory on samples and fabric before any manufacturing commenced but I really didn't contemplate just how hard starting and setting up a clothing brand was gong to be especially when working pretty much on my own. I think having a following is everything and i didn't fully utilise the internet in terms of twitter and facebook so my fan base was pretty much through word of mouth. The key in my opinion is having a story and concept behind the brand that your customers will buy into. With regards to your your website it's great but i could never really get the story behind the country and city aspect on which you have placed a large focus when in essence the types of garments available are chinos, merino sweaters, rugby polos all of which have everything to do with the country and not city. The dog is more of a country dog aswell so I would have really driven your branding more so on the country aspect like Barbour do even though they sell to pretty much everybody. City life i tend to imagine as more urban and your brand is far from that. When I read the about page on the website it just seems that your wanting it to appeal to the country and city and that your garments are a perfect fit for both but is that enough to build a brand on when starting out? The image of the terrier on breast is smart and has appeal but considering that is the essential part of the branding on garment the dog should be in a number of your images ie models walking a dog along a beach or country wearing your garments for example. I'm a massive dog lover and dog owner and will buy garments just because i like the design of a dog on the front but I also like to buy into a brand but from what i read still unsure who the target customer is. I'm in no means saying anything negative as the quality of your garments can be seen just in the pictures but I think your brand has alot to offer and maybe you need to recreate the concept of branding behind it and reach out towards the target audience that your garments seem to cater for.

Good luck with it all though.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. paulbrown

paulbrown

Thanks for the comment, I think too much is made of the brand story - I do agree it needs looking though. The most important thing is to get the clothes where they can be seen and felt with seasonal buys rather than one off items, the quality is there but without enough people seeing it and new items for existing customers it will wind down.
  11. aabubaker

aabubaker

Precisely, It all come downs to how many eyeballs you can attract to your Products.

Re the furniture business, I am a 3D Designer and I would be open to exploring collaborations or providing a few designs. Ping me if you are interested.