1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Starting my very first website?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce and Online Selling' started by UKbuyer1, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John

I only mentioned shopperpress because you have a wordpress template.. To be honest, choosing a cart comes down to personal preference
  2. Pete

Pete

What is your budget and what are your needs?

Here's an example of what many would not even consider a "need" when first looking for a cart - ************************. The fact is there are very few, I'd go so far as to say extremely few carts, free or paid for that support animated gif images.

I'm not saying you have a need for animated gifs, only that there may be something you have or want to do that neither shopperpress or bigcommerce will handle.

And shopper press is a onetime cost of just a bit more than a single month for bigcommerce. So from a cost standpoint you are comparing apples and oranges. As you are when comparing a ground up cart with a wordpress add-on. I have nothing against shopperpress, in fact I sell it, but it no bigcommerce or the "own it yourself" version on big commerce, interspire.
  3. gxjenkins

gxjenkins

I’m new to this tread but I do agree with the comments that for your first site I would go with a free cart. I’ve used a free cart for years after purchasing a license for a commercial cart.
    What I’ve found is that you’ll have more flexibility using an open source cart with good support than a commercial cart.
    My current store, “Your Neighborhood Store” is here, ******************************** , and the initial cost was less than $50. My re-occurring cost will be less than $10 per month. This store is built with Zen-Cart, and all the modules used are free.
  4. Andy777

Andy777

Yes, of course - BigCommerce is a fully packed, stand alone shopping cart software (hosted one) while Shopperpress is only a plugin/theme to turn your blog into a online shop. More on what it can and can't do here:

http://www.easyauctionbusiness.com/shopperpress/
  5. Ownthrone

Ownthrone

Hey Andy,

I've looked at easyauctionbusiness a few times and decided not to buy but that last little push to have a look at shopperpress did it for me. Just purchased it now and I look forward to it's arrival.
  6. Andy777

Andy777

7. yus786

yus786

Hey Rick - do you have any updates on this?

How's your e-commerce baby doing? You still pulling in the numbers?

Cheers
  8. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

Yes yus.

Numbers are still increasing and I'm getting around 12-20 orders per week. It's definately going in the right direction, so all is good so far mate!
  9. SkemPab

SkemPab

This is a great post and some super answers for people starting out, I like the fact you have given us a step by step update of the progress. Glad things are going well for you. Would like to see the site if your allowed to post the link here?

GL with the sales :)
  10. mastersg

mastersg

your site is pretty good mate , nice :welldone:
  11. karltimber

karltimber

Great thread alright - all the correct information needed for newer folks -incl myself - to see whats involved. thx
  12. karltimber

karltimber

Hi Rick, in the same boat as you were. An ebayer trying to expand. Will have a look at that BigCommerce too. Did you look at ekmpowershop ? When you look at both it's hard to see the difference. Anyone have any pros or cons over either.
    I don't have my own domain or hosting yet. But i really like your site. Very easy to read, order and navigate. K
  13. itpartsdirect

itpartsdirect

Big Commerce/Interspire is by far better that EKM, but so shows the price.
  14. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

I didn't try that one no.

You know BC offer a free 15 day trial?

I would suggest that and having a play about with it.

Good luck
  15. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

Am I right in thinking Bigcommerce are a US company...I tried EKM powershop and didn't really like their template system after a 30 day trial, but their customer service was second to none...absolutely perfect, and when I emailed them regarding stopping their service this was done without any issues...they also seemed to be online 24/7 whenever I had an issue...

My question is, would any issues arise using an American website and can it have any restrictions? Im in the process again of finding a basic website company that I can build on my own or source out for the company to be built, but don't have a clue where to start
  16. Nick-D

Nick-D

Hi Dave,

They are Australian but I've had no issues so far!
  17. iGadgetuk

iGadgetuk

One year later....Hows it doing now
  18. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

More like two years ago now!

In a nutshell then, I went with Big Commerce, had a little SEO done. To my amazement I was taking orders within a few weeks of setting up, and doing really well simply by using dropshipping.

Then BC released an update which totally ruined the look of the website - text mis aligned, pictures askew, it was a real mess - and orders stopped. I decided to go for a different cart - I went for Opencart. I literally spent hundreds of hours on this, with various different little things needing attention.

Again, SEO, and things were great until I installed an extension, and anyone going onto the site got a malware warning. I had this seen to professionally. Orders continued again, (usually from flyers from put in with eBay items), until yet more problems - people were purchasing, but nothing would come through on the backend of the OC dashboard - I could see Paypal payments, but didn't know what the customer had purchased. Pretty embarrassing emailing a customer and asking what they ordered.

After this, enough was enough. The time spent vs money made was not stacking up for me, so I pulled the site.

It was a great experience, but many lessons were learnt which I hope to take into a new site from next April - and all the work will be outsourced - this is something I wish I had done from the start, instead of spending countless hours on how to do something for myself.
  19. psxgamer

psxgamer

Trust me Rick, nevertheless all of the problems, the knowledge you gained by going through all this is pricesless. I'm sure you know exactly know how the new site should look and which features it should contain. Furthermore, you had success with your previous site. You've felt how deep the water is and it's not to deep for you.

When you say you will be outsourcing the work, it means you'll pay somebody else because you know the site will generate the cash to pay for it. Something you probably didn't do at the beginning because you didn't know what to expect from it.

Are you back going for a free shopping cart or will it be a custom build website this time?
  20. UKbuyer1

UKbuyer1

Very true Koen.

I haven't yet decided on what I am going to go for, when Xmas is over then I will start looking into it.

But you will know yourself from using OC, it can be the most frustrating, time consuming thing ever - though you have stuck at it and are making a good success of it.

The next site won't be rushed at all, and yes it is true I now know the foundations upon which a retail site should be based on.

Will probably update this thread next January now!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.