1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Starting to sell products with commissioned reps

Discussion in 'Retail Business Advice and start ups' started by T D Sales, Mar 9, 2013.

1. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Blimey i feel like ive been told off lol, I only meant it's like avon as im having reps sell my products for a %
    Sure i have no doubts it will be hard, but if i can get 30+ people selling my products then thats got to be a good thing,
  2. eAuction

eAuction

One thing to be careful of to, is that I imagine response to these things is actually quite high but when push comes to shove and people actually have to do some work you might not get the outcomes you expect.
  3. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

Exactly my opinion...can't see my reply being a lecture or telling off lol. I'm telling you that it wasn't that easy and even after becoming top seller she gave up... You mentioned Avon, as in having reps, so I gave a reply. Doesn't mean your business isn't going to work but Avon spend thousands on marketing and it doesn't work for everyone, but there business is worth a fair amount so something must be going right. However since going online it has hit reps that much harder compared to when they used to be solely catalogue based.
  4. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

But im not trying to compete with Avon ect.... The way i see it is simple. It would not cost me a huge amount to get off the ground, and could have 20-30 people selling my products, There is no risk to me if it does not work, But even 30 people selling 1 item per week each, that's 30 items i probably would not have sold otherwise, There is a reason the Likes of Avon and kleeneeze don't work
  5. Lace

Lace Retired Moderator

Best of luck T D, if you find a bunch of hardworking & dedicated sales reps that would be great!:)

Will the products stay with your sales rep or are you dispatching them from somewhere?
  6. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Ok all a little update, So ive had a contract drawn up explaining the role, self employed, commission only bla bla bla, and a load of other big words i don't understand, Probably why it cost more than i wanted, still its done now.

And no Lace i have created a catalogue as sorts, Looks quite good actually :)

Obviously as trust builds and sales come in i will be more inclined to leave a few products with the reps ect... But to start with a catalogue of pictures, prices, descriptions and measurements and specs ect.....

Monday and Tuesday im fully booked in meetings with potential reps. Should i wear i suit, i might, i quite like a suit now and again lol. Exciting times
    Lace likes this.
  7. eAuction

eAuction

I'd go smart casual rather than full on suit but that's just personal preference. Kudos on the contract.
  8. liamhawes

liamhawes

How exciting, all the best to you.

I would personally wear my morph suit, just to see their reaction. If you are fussed about loOking smart, they do a tuxedo one. :)
  9. TheDevil

TheDevil

Personal experience (I am a sales agent) is you need to give the people samples of some of the products, it will make there life selling a damn lot easier!
    I presume for this you are wanting to be paid up-front on pro-forma basis by the customers?

Also do not take on too many especially if they cross in the same radius - Just going to get them angry!

Alan
  10. Scorchio

Scorchio Banned Member

I think the one thing that all of the various answers indicates is that you need to do a lot more research before committing any more money to the project. Having a good idea is one thing and it's great that you're acting on it with such enthusiasm. But research everything and when you know the a-z of what you're doing, then you can make the decision on whether it's workable.

In your position, i'd actually get out there myself and sell a few things. Give yourself some experience of what you're asking others to do. Find out what the pitfalls are and how best to open doors.
    toysandgifts likes this.
  11. NigelM

NigelM

There's also the risk of your rep's stealing your business model. You see many people come on here asking 'What should I sell', in this scenario you're giving them a nice colour brochure with clues!
  12. Volantary

Volantary

Keep this thread updated mate, sounds exciting :) I was going to do a similar "party planner" type thing with what I was selling but found just simple selling via FB was the simplest way, glad you're at the point where you can consider alternatives :)
  13. TheDevil

TheDevil

Agree with this, only small problem is the products are already out there, I would only take people on with experience though!

Alan
  14. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

I have (in a previous job) also been a sales rep, so i do know what im asking, and know the many pitfalls that there are. Its not glamorous i know that.

You have to understand that ok some might think like that initially (i don't know) but thinking it and doing it are 2 completely different things, not everyone can run a business successfully, if they could everyone would be doing it.

I do agree to a point, but also alot of the agents may end up being past/current customers so they know some of the products and will be selling to family/friends so they don't really need to have products to hand. But yes i will still try and sort something out
  15. TheDevil

TheDevil

It is really hard to comment on this without knowing the products you sell -
    Are they going to be selling to shops or to retail themselves?

Alan
  16. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Alan read above mate, family/friends
  17. TheDevil

TheDevil

Okay, that may be different, not sure how much of a market there is for that then - I thought it was re-sale to shops, good luck though!

Alan
  18. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Its a good job i know the market then isnt it lol, there is far more potential here than selling to shops ect... You are forgetting i already have a strong reputation for all the right reasons locally.
  19. Scorchio

Scorchio Banned Member

Ah, so you randomly rub up against women in the street too :D
    T D Sales likes this.
  20. Pete

Pete

As for dress when you meet these people. You should dress as you would want them to dress. You should set the example and let them know this is what you expect.

As for "samples" this definitely depends on what they will be selling. With most party plans the agent is REQUIRED to purchase a kit, not given samples. If just knick-knacks, no problem, but most party ladies buy their sample kits of pots, cosmetics, baskets, etc. You can get a lot of "I'm on board" and never hear from them again, where a bit of cash coming your way will separate the tire kickers from the doers.