1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Starting Up A Business - A Guide For Newbies

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by ladyvgw, Nov 27, 2010.

1. modmania

modmania

Hi Vicky...great write up...I m looking for a bit of advice as I m almost ready to launch a brand of clothing I ve been working on and have my methods of marketing worked out etc...alot of that via social media....which leads me to my question of potential overseas sales...and taxation for selling goods abroad. Obviously my goods will be viewed from people overseas who arent my target market and wondered if they can buy from a(or my) uk e commerce website...and how export tax and post would be worked out.....or if its not possible from them to purchase from these sites( I m not bothered about selling abroad and confusing tax to be honest but its something I need to address before I kick off so any advice would be great). Thanks Niall
  2. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

when you create your website or if selling on ebay you have a choice where in the world you want to sell. Anyone can view the website but you normally have a list of countries you wish to post to. Best thing would be to put a banner up on main page saying UK only if you don't want to sell outside of it, and tha way your not wasting customers time who might spent a great deal of time looking around only to find when they get to the shopping basket that you don't ship to their country.

I sell Mod/Skinhead clothing and also set up a brand label for Mod style shirts and I've sold all around the world from Argentina, Uruguay and Australia so you would be suprised at just how well Mod/Skinhead clothing does. Obviosuly depends what your selling but don't overlook the world. Only problem is dealing with returns/exchanges but it's far easier doing this off ebay and with your own ecommerce website and also far less costly than ebay whereby you would have to pay return costs.
  3. chiaus

chiaus

wow, really great post. Thanks for sharing.
  4. chiaus

chiaus

wow, really great post. Thanks for sharing.
  5. modmania

modmania

Thanks for that Dave.…yeah moved on from the mod clobber..…mx gear now. What's the crack with export tax when you sell abroad then or is that up to them at the other side.....and can you insert different postage prices for different continents in the settings on e commerce websites?
  6. Emilyrogers84

Emilyrogers84

Hi vicky. I'm just starting out andhave received some of orders from the US AND CHINA so I'm getting ready to set up soon!
    I went on aliexpress last night and noticed even when I search wholesale that the prices were per unit??? Is this right or am I searching wrong? I'm
    Used to seeing prices per packs?
    Id be grateful for any help given!
  7. Dean

Dean

Aliexpress is not usually the best place for decent prices. Most of the advertisers on there are one man operations who when they receive your order, rush around the local markets to fulfil it. Aliexpress is really just a Chinese eBay!

You will find more true wholesalers on Alibaba, Global Sources, DHGate etc. But do your due diligence as there are many, many unreliable or down right criminal sellers out there.
    Emilyrogers84 likes this.
  8. Emilyrogers84

Emilyrogers84

Thank you so much. It's like Aladdins cave trying to find descent people!
  9. Dean

Dean

It certainly is! One of our suppliers in China (who has turned out to be amazing!) for a specific product took us a year to find!
  10. Emilyrogers84

Emilyrogers84

I can imagine!!
    Another question while your hear! As I'm starting small is alibaba a good place to try if I'm not looking for min orders of 100-500. I'm looking for a min order of around 10 at the mo as I said before I'm just starting up and want to dip my toe in first before I go in all guns blazing!
    Any advise would be amazing!
  11. Dean

Dean

Aliexpress is better for smaller quantities but you won't get the better prices if you're ordering small. Don't forget to account for import VAT and any duties. And avoid any well known branded goods from China at all costs - it will be fake!
  12. modmania

modmania

Not importing personally but as a matter of interest what is the percentage for import tax?
  13. Dean

Dean

For the UK it is 20% import tax plus duty, which can vary from 0% upwards.
  14. Seamus McDermott

Seamus McDermott

Hi new to the forum, so its my first post, if im wanting to resell products on ebay, how am i suppost to register to a wholesaler if i dont have a website, or ebay account that has anyproof of renvenue? so at this point the only thing i would be able to prove of my business would be a VAT code?
  15. khenry792

khenry792

Thanks for the information; very informative... much appreciated
  16. SimonG4

SimonG4

Hi, Vicky

I'm new here, just wanted to ask some questions on accounts on EBay/PayPal.

1. On your EBay Accounts Spreadsheet 'Income' - does the gross amount mean without eBay, PayPal fees and postage?
    2. Would using your spreadsheet be ok with HMRC for a basic soletrader?
    3. When eBay sends you a invoice for eBay fees - would I put them on the expenditure sheet of the following month, see eBay sends them the following month?
    4. Would just having a purchase and sales ledger be ok to run as a soletrader with HMRC, or do I need other documents - Balance Sheet etc?

I think that's about it for the moment, I would really appreciate your help. Thanks
  17. Jamie Williams

Jamie Williams

Amazing thread! I really didn't know where to start, you have helped me and many more people so much! Your a credit to yourself. Thank you very much :)
    ladyvgw likes this.
  18. cwvps

cwvps

I find this bookkeeping advice very helpful. It's very hard to remember always to keep all of those receipts, but this is so important. Thanks for a great reminder!
  19. Gill1107

Gill1107

Thanks Vicky for the post - helping us newbies
  20. ladyvgw

ladyvgw