Stock Market - Beginners Advice

Discussion in 'Money, Accounts & Finance' started by uhafmail, Jun 4, 2010.

1. uhafmail

uhafmail

Haha, thanks for the suggestion Anthony. It certainly is on my to do list alongside an ebook but at the moment the dissertation is taking all my time!

I will send you a PM Jason regarding the ticket tonight for you.
  2. KyleWestwell

KyleWestwell

As I am only 18 and my money is invested in my eBay account. What is the minimum amount recommended to use? I know £500 was mentioned but just to get to know the ropes and gain experience is what I want.
    Could anyone help or give me a push in the right direction?
    Thank you
  3. uhafmail

uhafmail

If you want to have a play then i would recommend using a virtual portfolio but treat the money as if it was real. If you want to buy actual shares i would still only suggest £500 as a minimum. Various reasons for this but the biggest one is the dealing costs mount up quickly.

I have used this example before but i will use it again.

If you say the dealing costs for trading is £12.95 and Stamp Duty is 0.5%. If you buy £100 worth of shares your dealing costs are over 25%. So this means you need a 25% rise in the share just to break even - this even ignores the spread of the buying and selling prices which could push the rise you need to 40%+. The same dealing costs with a £500 purchase mean you only need a 5% rise to break even.
    vitascotch likes this.
  4. KyleWestwell

KyleWestwell

A friend of mine recommended this, ***************************** and he said he only used £50?
    I'm confused. I'm determined to get in to it, I just need it to click.
  5. uhafmail

uhafmail

Then quite frankly he is an idiot. He needs a minimum of 40% just to break even, with the spread and stamp duty (not applicable to all shares) then probably 50%.
  6. KyleWestwell

KyleWestwell

He said he quadrupled his money though...
  7. uhafmail

uhafmail

Talk is cheap but he may have quadrupled his money but the real rise would have been 450%. What share did he buy to quadruple his money?
  8. KyleWestwell

KyleWestwell

Honestly don't know. He has no reason to lie though and I doubt if he know of such large gainers he'd share of them. I can't get around how to ever purchase shares on that thing ha.
  9. uhafmail

uhafmail

Why wouldn't you share them? The more people that know about a share you are invested in the better and once you sell there isno reason not to say which share it was.

I have been invested in 3 shares that have risen 1000%+ and i have no issue with telling you which shares, in fact proud of it. BLNX from 13p to all the way up £1.30, BPC from 2.5p to 25p and my favourite GKP from 13p and still hold some of them now - trading at £3.00 a share (3000%+).

BLNX look like good value right now as well, i think it will double in the next 2-3 months.
  10. uhafmail

uhafmail

What are your views on the Facebook IPO? I am tempted to go short them. I think if they float with a valuation of $100 billion they are grossly overvalued and i think they will fall short term. Medium and long term, who knows!
  11. uhafmail

uhafmail

Also anyone had a look at AIM newcomer Tangiers Petroleum (TPET). They remind me a lot of the early days of GKP or RKH. Huge upside potential with this one. A strike with one of their main targets and i can't see anything less than 500% rise from where they are today. There will be volatility as they are new and some of the IIs who managed to get cheap shares will sell some but i expect a nice steady rise upwards once the dust settles.
  12. Jamie Robson

Jamie Robson

Hi uhafmail,

First thanks for all the information youve provided. Secondly can you recommend virtual shares like you mentioned earlier so i can get a feel for it before deciding wether to invest or not.

Regards

Jamie
  13. uhafmail

uhafmail

http://www.bullbearings.co.uk/ is the only one i ever used but make sure you treat the investments as if it were real otherwise it removes a large element of investing - emotion, away from the deals you make. Anyone can invest £100,000 of virtual money in a share and say "i made £40,000 profit" but would you have made the same deal with real money? If you are likely to only have £1000 to start up then only use £1000 for the virtual trading.

Good luck!
    Ian08 likes this.
  14. Jamie Robson

Jamie Robson

I looked at the barclays website and its got different trader accounts, which ones should i go for. Ive got a spare £500 so im thinking of taking your tip and investing £500 in TPET and sitting on the shares for a while see what happens.
  15. uhafmail

uhafmail

Market Master is what you need.
  16. Jamie Robson

Jamie Robson

Could you do me a favour and email me as ive got some more questions to ask.

jamie [at] ljelectronics.co.uk
  17. uhafmail

uhafmail

Feel free to PM me here.
  18. Jamie Robson

Jamie Robson

Well ive now got £1000 invested in a company and today theyre up 5.73% immediatly! Long may it continue!
    Lace likes this.
  19. Jamie Robson

Jamie Robson

Anyone who is thinking of getting involved in this should be looking at Xcite Energy (XEL) massive gains this week and reading reports looks like they could reach 200p a share by close on friday! Xciting times ahead! (see what i did there :p)
  20. uhafmail

uhafmail

Reading what reports? Or do you mean annoymous posters on discussion boards who have a vested interest in the share?

Don't get suckered in to believing rumours. It is is only a profit once you sell ;).