1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Stop spamming introductions!

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by PG, May 20, 2011.

1. PG

PG

Hi everyone. This forum has been friendly but i dont think people need to find the last 20 introductions and copy " hello and welcome" in each one! It is being friendly, but takes up the first page of threads, utems for sale or " serious" discussions!

What are peoples view on this?!
  2. ClumsyCol

ClumsyCol

Does my head in also. I personally never really post in the welcome section but I am just an unsocial-able b*****d, lol.

But I suppose if you welcome one you have to welcome them all otherwise the others may feel left out. Can't see any other way around it.
  3. greedyboy

greedyboy

My pet hate! Mentioned it before, all it does is boost post counts and spam their signatures.
  4. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

I can see how it is annoying to some but there is a very good reason why I do it.

I am here to advertise, further my business and make money and to do that I need people to know I exist. One way of doing this is to post in the welcome threads so people thinking of starting a business can see my site and decide whether it might be a possibility for them. Normally I dont bother posting in Chinese posts as they dont tend to be here to buy so its not worth it.

To be honest it is pretty easy to ignore those threads if you are not interested.
  5. PG

PG

Yes. I do agree we should be friendly and welcoming, but some take it 2 far. I think people should have 5 max/day in intro section!
  6. Pete

Pete

The mods are the worst. But others do it as well.

Yeah, I just always click the New Posts and will get 3 pages, 2 of which are mods and a few others just going down the line. Maybe a dozen real threads out of 100+ new posts.

Don't know how to stop it, would be nice if there were a "New Posts with Serious Discussions" button up top.
  7. EJames

EJames

I always click new posts and 2 people in particular

Hello & Welcome to the forum!
  8. Pete

Pete

Glad to see you back active today, Dean.

Hope things are going well with your dad.
  9. uhafmail

uhafmail

I don't mind when people say "Welcome to the forum" or whatever (i sometimes do it). However, what does annoy me is when the person replying clearly has not read the opening post, could be an old member who has changed his username or asking for advice on something and all they get is "welcome :)"
  10. londonking

londonking

does my back in as well.
  11. greedyboy

greedyboy

Thank you Pete, it's really appreciated. He had more Chemotherapy today and will be under the radar from tomorrow. So make the most of me while I'm here!

As for the matter in hand (ohh er vicar) maybe limit the posts to 5 in the section as mentioned.
  12. greedyboy

greedyboy

Your back? You been smoking down Edgware Road again?
  13. Nick-D

Nick-D

I don't care if people do it to boost their post counts so much (unless they are doing it to circumvent forum rules on minimum posts) but i do get annoyed when i click to see new posts and the screen is completely full of one person posting the same message. Maybe if there was a way i could filter it so the welcome forum doesn't show in my screen in new posts?
  14. mdsltd

mdsltd

There is a mod on TWF who does it a lot & I mean a LOT, even to the extent of someone asking for help the "hello & welcome" response is posted! It seriously gets on my nerves & needs to stop!
  15. PG

PG

I understand people need to advertise to show popential customer. I dont have a problem that. But if i am advertising then too get people to see my post i have to then post over someone elses! Its like a price war, but instead of lower prices people spam more! Its a stailmate!
  16. greedyboy

greedyboy

Ban the Mod
  17. Gary

Gary

So, what would you suggest, an introductions section where nobody answered...lol

Imagine a new member, taken the time to write an intoduction (some of which are quite detailed) then get blatently ignored, yeah, what a warm reception into "the friendly forums"

nothing wrong with saying "hi and welcome", it doesn't take a second and helps make new members feel more accepted, and yeah, if someone clicks on my sig and buys something then bonus, granted, some may just do it for post count and hardly post much else, however, others (such as myself) are active throughout the forums, also partaking in the more serious stuff
  18. Dean

Dean

Always shakes me when I hear this. My son went through both when he was 2 years old so I really feel for you - hope your dad is doing ok.
  19. PG

PG

No problem with saying hi n welcome. But alot of people go into intro section and open the last 20 threads in new tabs, then control c control v!
  20. greedyboy

greedyboy

Thank you.

I hope your Son is all ok. I can feel your pain being a father. If it was my Son, I don't think you'd hear from me again!