1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

T-shirt printing & custom designs

Discussion in 'Products & Trends' started by TreatWise, Oct 10, 2012.

1. TreatWise

TreatWise

Hey guys, long time no speak but Just been looking into something and thought that someone here would have a good idea :)

Been doing a business plan and working out stategy etc in regards to Custom T-Shirt printing. I know it's pretty easy to source Cheap, low cost plain T-shirts, Polo's etc but was wondering if anyone here offered these and could give me some pricing idea's to hand. I'd be looking at V-Necks, Crew Necks, Long Sleeve, Short Sleeve etc

The main reason I could do with some help is the Designs. Is there anywhere that I could have my own design put to print for a relatively reasonable cost by providing my own T-Shirts. Also where could I purchase external Logo prints for my T-Shirts or would that be a poor cheap method to use?

Last thing I guess I could do with some help or advice on is the method itself. What technology is the best and most regularly used for a quality T-Shirt design as it could possibly be cost effective to purchase a machine etc and cut out the middleman as it were :)

I know my posts can sometimes seem a bit convuluted but I tend to have brainstorms and write as I think and presume everyone can understand!

Hope everyone is well and keep up the great work on the forum Anthony. Made an interesting read on the merger between TWF and Stockshifters :)

Regards,

James
  2. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

Hi James,

Sorry if I've read it incorrectly but are you looking for advice in regards to you offering others help to print their garments, or are you wanting to set up for yourself ie create a clothing line of your own designs?
  3. TreatWise

TreatWise

My Apologies Dave as I said I tend to just spout off my thoughts as I'm typing so it's not as succinct as I'd like.

Basically I'd be looking for someone like yourself to provide unbranded T-Shirts of a good quality then have them printed somewhere without paying the printers cost for their own T-Shirts.

Was wondering about the graphics and Logo's to put on there and quite an extensive range.

And finally the method in which this is done and the equipment needed to make good quality designs.

I guess in short then I'm looking to have my own customised clothing range :)

Regards,

James
  4. ResellerLad

ResellerLad

Why are you ruling out using the t-shirt printer for t-shirts? They will have their own suppliers and can probably get better prices than you will be able to get. No harm in asking them prices for plain t-shirts and printed cost. Also, if you tell them you intend to supply your own t-shirts at £X they may turn around and say they'll do the t-shirts at the same or even slightly cheaper to secure the printing deal with you.
  5. Mckergan

Mckergan

6. ResellerLad

ResellerLad

Transfers will be poor quality and likely fade / crack / peel after a few washes.

You can get screen printed transfers made and press them yourself onto your own t-shirts
  7. TreatWise

TreatWise

Thanks for the input guys I will be doing a lot more research over the next couple of weeks as I'm not naive enough to think can just do it over night and make a success.

Also just so you know I'm not planning on creating expensive styles of my own design, just quirky, novelty and possibly T-Shirts with catchphrases on so the quality wouldn't need to be ridiculously high like say on a High-street/Designer Logo Top.

Reseller, Yeah thats totally true, I wouldn't really rule it out was just throwing some idea's down. Sometimes I just feel though that if you have the products, sourced and such you know the outlay whereas all in one service never quite sure whether you're getting top price :)

James
  8. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

the link was to a heat press so has no bearing on if something cracks or fades...That would be the same machine that presses plastisol transfers which are the screen printed transfers you are talking about...Nearly everything now involves the heat press except DTG.
    Mckergan likes this.
  9. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

I have recently started in this field, 2-3 months ago now and its going slower than expected but still at a steady pace.

I feel I have good designs, so I think its just a matter of advertising and being in the right place at the right time.

I use JPSS paper and print my transfers on demand. They are good quality, durable and every single one I have sold has received positive feedback so far. I'm using a Stahls heat press, its one of the top brands. In the early stages I wasted a few T shirts (trial and error), but now everything is going smoothly.

As for the T shirts, I purchased a job lot off of ebay initially, I think they were £1.50 each. You could try out Continental Clothing for quality Apparel. if you are sourcing your own T shirts, I would suggest you don't look to the cheapest but try and make sure you get a quality product for a reasonable price. I will also need some blank T shirts soon, so will let you know if I find a good supplier.

I think DTG is the way forward in the industry but one of these printers could set you back about £10k. So for the noobs or people on low budgets, you can print them yourself. I have an Epson B1100 with a CISS attached, this is much longer lasting than cartridges.

The margins in the industry I feel are quite good, I am aiming for £5 net profit per T shirt at the moment. If I could reduce costs somehow, this would be even better.
  10. ResellerLad

ResellerLad

I am aware of that........ i'm talking about the reference to heat transfer papers which you print onto with a normal printer and then simply iron or press on
  11. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

Iron on transfers will mostly always be poor, due to the uneven distribution of heat.

However not all transfer papers are poor quality. If you source good transfer paper (JPSS for example), follow the instructions and have a quality heat press with the right pressure set. You should get good results, near enough the same as screen printed transfers.
  12. Dave Casuals

Dave Casuals

JPSS is brilliant paper but when first ever using this a few years back we did a test on as many major t-shirt brands as possible inc warm water tests. Originally JPSS did not like fruit of the loom or Gildan if you were using red or anything close to it and washing in arm water.Those colours would run badly after a single wash at 30 degrees, and we could no longer use reds in a design if using these brands. You don't want to sell shirts then have to inform a customer that they can only do cold water washes as that would be a nightmare. I'm not sure if problem was ever resolved but we did find suitable t-shirts that could be warm water washed with JPSS at 30 degrees. They do also say the JPSS works perfectly with some brands and types of cotton and not so well with others and this was clear to see...
  13. DuWolfy

DuWolfy

14. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

This is the official Yolo ebay:
    http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

I have bought from them on a few occasions, the paper you purchase depends on what colour and style T shirt you print on

How well do the mousemats and coasters sell? Do you use the same heat press as with clothing?
  15. DuWolfy

DuWolfy

They are ok, we mainly do personalized ones. If you want to sell a lot more with topical trends/brands then your going to run into copyright issues.
  16. TreatWise

TreatWise

You guys have given me a lot to think about and i've been brainstorming left, right and centre! :)

One other question which might seem obvious is the actual heat transfer. When printing from a inkjet onto the paper would the transfer come off in a white block or would the actual image itself come out of the paper (Obviously you would trim the edges) But would I need a laser cutter to cut out intricate images so it would look a bit more professional printed out onto say a black T-Shirts?

Regards,

James.
  17. DuWolfy

DuWolfy

Depends on the transfer paper, Some you reverse the image and put it on the garment face down and use a Heat Press to soak the ink onto the garment or print the image normally and peel the back from the paper and heat press face up with a Teflon sheet above it (I prefer this method and I think is a better image)
    First method, Only the image would come off
    Second method you would have to trim the edges with a craft knife.

Both have their merits. If you do decide go the second route gimmie a shout and i'll do you a discount on the YOLO A4 3G Jet Opaque as we buy it by the tonne and sell it cheaper than they do ;o)

Cheers
    Sean
  18. JermaineR8

JermaineR8

If you use Plastisol (Screen printed) transfers on a release paper, only the image will press onto the garment

If you use transfer paper, such as JPSS you will get a white outline
  19. TreatWise

TreatWise

Thats great Sean,

Gives me a bit more of an insight. Just as a quick one and bit more in depth, in terms of the second method where you would need a craft knife, for example if you had a black T-Shirt and you used an image on the paper when you remove the back and such, would you be left with white background around the lettering where the paper/transfer is or would it be the T-Shirt as I wouldn't want it to look unprofessional with a white square and the image in the middle.

Also would be great if you could inbox me with prices and quantities so have an idea of cost per Tee.

Thanks once again for putting up with my complete lack of knowledge! Feel free to come to me if you want to know much about designer clothing including Fred Perry and Original penguin haha! :p

James.
  20. DuWolfy

DuWolfy

No Worries James,

Worst thing you could have done is not ask, this way you get a footstep into it bypassing some of the common problems.

The 2nd method I prefer to use: Imagine just printing your image on an A4 sheet of paper, that's it basically. If your printing onto a black T-shirt then before you print your image use what ever program ie CS5/6 etc and put a thin black border around (adjust to what ever color your garment is) and cut around the image with scissors/knife so that border blends to your garment.

Top of my head I think the 250 packs are £180 for the paper, ill try get a full list to you when I'm back and we are due another 5k Polo/T-Shirts for use in the same process. We also do Refurb Epson 1400 which is my personal printer of choice for Heat Transfers.

Hope it helps
    Cheers
    Sean