1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

News Tesla To Unveil New Semi Today

Discussion in 'Business News & Resources' started by Erik, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Erik

Erik

Been quite a roller coaster ride for Elon Musk and Tesla. Issues within the company and production woes of the Model 3 should have kept the company silent. I guess Elon Musk would never keep silent, and wold like to make noise trying to innovate our world.

[​IMG]

After just releasing the Model 3, and 3 date changes after, it seems that the electric innovation company is ready to fully unveil its next product, a Tesla made Truck.

Yes, you read that right. Why a truck though? Well, logically thinking, Trucks travel long distances, especially for freighter trucks. Trucking is big business in the US, and with long hour drives for these drivers (as long as 12 hour drives non stop),it would be ideal for drivers to have some rest time - this eats up efficiency of deliveries if truck drivers opt to do a stop for a while and rest. It would be such a nice idea to go auto in freeways while drivers take a rest to maximise efficiency.

The big question, however, is how far will these trucks go before the juice runs out. Tesla's vehicles run on batteries, and this was such an early issue for first time owners. However for trucks, having a short travel juice and the need to stop to charge breaks the point of efficiency. This could be something that the company should be able to answer during their unveil.

The unveil will happen today, with their webcast available on their website.
    https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/semi?redirect=no
  2. Kingamer

Kingamer

Looks really good. Excellent design and looks quite aerodynamic. But like you said it's all about the run time on these. How long will the battery last

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  3. Erik

Erik

Well it seems we finally have an answer to that.

Firstly, the battery. Elon Musk said that this semi has a maximum range of 500 Miles / 804 Kilometres. That's quite long, just a 150+ km short of the total vertical length of UK. Considering different traffic conditions, we could perhaps give it a conservative average of 350 Miles / 563 Km, all including air circulation and every electronic system running non stop. That's perhaps running from London to Carlisle with still a bit of battery to spare.

Let's also consider that this truck will be used in the UK. A driver by law, is only allowed to drive trucks with goods for 4.5 hours nonstop then must take a 45 minute break. From London to Carlisle, you'd take roughly 5 hours, more by a slower truck. Which means you'd probably be forced to stop a few km before reaching Carlisle in which should the stop have a charging station, would be good enough not to worry about battery life. Quite compelling by paper if you ask me.

Musk also mentioned that the truck could charge a 563km range for 30 minutes, pretty good time and just right for a truck driver's 45 minute break to have extra juice on the truck. With those calculations, I think the truck could even go up to Aberdeen or somewhere north of Scotland with ease.

What impressed me more of this is the added safety feature, with lane protection. If in any case the driver is in a health emergency, the truck will remain on the lane and gradually slow down. Jackknifing might also be forgotten, with independent motors for each wheel. I personally sometimes feel intimidated driving beside trucks, getting that knowledge that the truck is also aware of its surroundings will definitely be a plus for me.

Only caveat I see is that the driver is in the middle. No more left or right hand driving, just sitting there pretty in the middle. That might need some getting used to. Regardless, this semi really is slick.

Of course, I cannot just end this post without the surprise from Tesla. I could only wish I could have one.

Man, that's one speedy little car! :D