1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

The ABCs Of Writing A Product Description

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Quad Band Phone, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but when selling a product many people forget how important a well written description is. I'll try to break down what I think goes into a well written product description in a way that is hopefully useful (whether you are selling online of off)

The Title
    Besides a products picture, the title is likely the first thing that a potential customer is going to see and thus is of paramount importance to get their attention (in the right way). The title doesn't need to be grammatically correct as long as it gets the point across.

• Be short and too the point

• Clearly state what is for sale

• Add important features or sale points

• Research and include important keywords

• The most important keywords should be towards the beginning of the title

• Don't be obnoxious

(Extremly) Bad example: FOR SALE DIRT CHEAP D90! INCLUDES THE NIKON CAMERA + FREE EXTRA LENS!! BUY IT NOW FROM DOO-DOO ELECTRONICS!!11!

Good example: Nikon D90 SLR Digital Camera - Extra Nikon Lens Included

The First Sentence
    After the title, your first sentences of a description is the most important for both a customer and for search engines (if you post it online). If your title draws them in, then it is your first sentence that is supposed to keep them in. This should use proper writing techniques we all should have learned in primary school.

• Restate and flesh out your title, or otherwise introduce your product

• Make it keyword rich but include them naturally within the sentence

• The most important keywords should be towards the beginning of the sentence

• Use good grammar and spelling

• Still don't be obnoxious

(extermly) Bad example: Best new deal on ebay from DOO-DOO electronics, great new D90 camra for sale and I am throwing in a extga lens to make it an even better deal for this digital camera.

Good example: Nikon D90 SLR digital camera for sale, with an included free 55 - 200mm Nikkor Telephoto zoom lens.

The Body

The body of your text is where you can place other great features of your product, which helps interested customers know exactly what they are getting, as well as helping search engines index your product correctly by way of its keywords.

• Include other features which define your product

• Make it keyword rich but include them naturally within the sentences, and don't overdo it

• Keep the grammar and spelling clean

• Obnoxiousness is still verboten

I actually wrote a lot more within this article, but I thought it was getting a little long for easy reading. If you want, you can download what I originally wrote to see some extra descriptions of what I meant by each point and why they are important.

Out of curiosity, do you all prefer it if when I write longer articles that I keep the main points in the thread and then include the whole article in an attachment, or should I just include the whole thing?

-Greg
  2. Anthony

Anthony

Excellent read and well written, Greg. Worth being pinned for a little while, too.

Thanks for posting.
    Ryan vickers likes this.
  3. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Wow Anthony! Thanks! I am incredibly honored.
  4. sjwtrade

sjwtrade

Nice work Greg.
    This is something that is always over looked and this step by step guide will be very useful to many.
    Good stuff.

Stu
  5. woodleyB

woodleyB

Nice guide there!
    Will be very useful to a lot of members here, especially those who are asking for 'ebay listing reviews and the same comments come back to them.
  6. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Thanks Stu.

I hope some use can be gotten out of this, as browsing ebay listings can often lead to results that are less than ideal. A little work can really pay off when writing (whether for the classroom or when selling products).
  7. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Thanks :welldone: I really hope people can get use out of this thread. Writing is not easy, but if you take the time to do it right is can pay off in a big way.
  8. hawkins6685

hawkins6685

Hi brilliant article
    just started thinking about listing items on my own website and this wil definatly help. thank you.

p.s would you mind if i sold it on?:p;)
  9. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

My pleasure.

I hope you can get some use out of the article

Feel free to spread the article around, but I do ask you give me credit for writing :welldone:
  10. Rala Clothing

Rala Clothing

11. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Honestly I like it.

Nice and clean, not too wordy, but good use of keywords, your title is informative and likely to draw in people looking for Italian shoes, and your your choice pics next to the description (1 + 2) flow pretty well in my opinion and gives the buyer choice. Also you gave a call to action at which is always a good idea.

One thing though...are you selling 2 items in one posting (two different kinds of shoes)? Is that acceptable under eBay T&C? I think you did it quite well myself, but I am not sure eBay accepts that. Of course I could be wrong ;)
  12. RQE I&E

RQE I&E

Hey there, thanks for this!
  13. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Tis my pleasure :) Thanks for the support
  14. Redders

Redders

This is a really informative read.

Personally Ive been ebaying for years but never really took it to seriously (the missus did most of the listing) but recently Ive been made redundant and have decided to sell all the stuff I dont use, drill, clothes,kids toys and have made a tidy little profit.

I told her the importance of posting quick, getting replies in early and listing properly because they were pretty bad. Ive altered the way our profile is but this sort of stuff will help when I start selling for real, buy wholesale and knock it out etc.

I see some people with very nice listings with about 30 feedback yet I have 500 odd feedback and my listings are limited to using different font sizes/colours but I word them well, and make sure the pictures do the product justice.

I'd love to be able to start listing like the guy a few posts back but I have no idea how, Cant be that hard can it?
  15. One More Deal

One More Deal

Great article, thank you
    Mike
  16. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Thanks mike.

Welcome to TWF :)
  17. petercrouch

petercrouch

Thanks for such a nice information.
    This is a great article and very helpful for many of internet users.
  18. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone

Thank you peter. I am glad you liked it :welldone:
  19. hsr

hsr

Good work!
    Worthy for learnning.
  20. Quad Band Phone

Quad Band Phone