1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

The beginning of the end for Royal Mails Signed For (Recorded) service... hopefully

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by Dean, May 26, 2016.

1. Dean

Dean

We received a Royal Mail communication yesterday advertising that from Summer 2016 they will "start providing free Delivery Confirmation on Standard barcoded parcels".

This is fantastic news as far as we are concerned and is the beginning of the end of the Signed For service!

As far as I know, this is only going to be available if you produce shipping labels with the 2D barcodes that RM started rolling out last year.

We 2D barcode everything so hopefully in the future we will be able to stop using Signed For completely.

More details here - www.royalmail.com/delivery-confirmation
  2. sam81

sam81

Have you idea how it work ? We need attach different barcode for any parcel and scan ourself it ?
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. uhafmail

uhafmail

There will be no need for any extra barcode as the 2D barcode will be what gives the delivery confirmation. You will need to be using DMO or bypassing it using Linnworks.
  4. Dean

Dean

5. bluenose

bluenose

I use mainly standard parcels so this will be good, RM needed to do something to compete with the couriers, but will we be paying more for this enhanced service in the future?
  6. Sc0tty

Sc0tty

No, its more efficient for them. Non 2d barcodes will be paying more as its less efficient.
    bluenose likes this.
  7. Dean

Dean

Yes, spot on. Our collection postie was telling me that the Signed For service is ridiculously expensive for them to manage, mainly due to a lot more items having to be returned to DO's as they couldn't get a signature. Most of the time we don't actually need a signature so confirmation of delivery will be sufficient. Paypal don't actually require a signature to prove delivery for anything less than £750.

In the future, for anything that we still require a signature for we will use RM Tracked or Special Delivery.
  8. beacon hill

beacon hill

"so confirmation of delivery will be sufficient"

Wonder if e bay will agree with this. As we know, they do not accept RM "proof of posting" receipts
    as proof it has actually been posted non signed for parcels
  9. Dean

Dean

The confirmation of delivery will be confirmed via the Royal Mail Track and Trace webpage so no different to existing RM tracking numbers - its just the numbers are in a different format.
    beacon hill likes this.
  10. uhafmail

uhafmail

I hope DC will be enough for eBay/Paypal. However, i have this slight worry that it wont be. How will RM confirm the delivery? I can't imagine the postie scanning every single letter and parcel with a 2D barcode as he posts it through a letter box or hands it to the recipient. Will it be confirmed once the post man has it in his possession? If so will that give an element of doubt to the confirmation that eBay/Paypal may decide delivery hasn't unanimously been confirmed?
  11. Dean

Dean

I have been told that's exactly what they will be doing. They have just taken delivery of new scanners apparently. As my postie said, they will just be scanning it as they walk up to the door if it can go through the letter box. Apparently this is still more efficient than having to deal with the current Signed For mail.
  12. uhafmail

uhafmail

Wow, OK. That is good news for us but surely this is going to add A LOT more work for the postie. All labels printed at the post office have the 2D barcodes, plus the majority of online sellers who are not already using 2D barcodes will be moving over soon.
  13. Dean

Dean

That's exactly what I said to our postie but he insists that its still overall more efficient for the whole operation.
  14. Abe Choi

Abe Choi

I spoke to a Royal Mail tech manager at a conference and he mentioned that the reason why they had not released tracking earlier because they didn't know how to deal with the revenue cannibalization. I guess they have decided to embrace the future and realise in the long run it is better to move everyone to 2d barcodes as it is definitely much more efficient for everyone involved. This will definitely have some consequences on some of the sales channels like amazon where they may now force sellers to use tracking so that they can measure how well the merchant is doing. In the US, amazon merchants are measured by delivery and if you fall short you are kicked off the channel.
  15. Dean

Dean

In what respect?
  16. Abe Choi

Abe Choi

Royal Mail knows that most businesses will not choose sign for any more with the free delivery confirmation. It will also eat into special delivery 9am and 1pm, not as much as signed for. The RM employee thought that Signed For was effectively finished because there is really no value add from a business point of view.
    Dean likes this.
  17. Dean

Dean

I was given the impression that Signed For is too expensive for Royal Mail to continue with anyway and they actually lose money on it so getting rid of it is good for them. I can see it may well cut into Special Delivery to a certain extent though.
  18. Abe Choi

Abe Choi

Signed for is not the most efficient process or the highest contributing margin product but it was still enough of a cash cow for them to hold off introducing the free 2d delivery confirmation. Hopefully they can continue moving forward. :)
  19. Dean

Dean

My only fear with the new delivery confirmation is what if some posties become complacent and don't scan items before delivery. It could lead to some customers taking advantage.
  20. Abe Choi

Abe Choi

Definitely agree with that but hopefully we will see less of the item not received (INR) complaints overall. I think the customers who like to take advantage of untracked will still try to pull a fast one, whether tracking or not.

Here is some statistically insignificant analysis from some of my shipments (almost 300,000 shipments now) and some of our customers. We have been putting barcodes on shipping labels that act like tracking numbers for us we have seen reduction in fraud by about .5% - 1%. Again not enough statistically significant but has gotten rid of some of the operational tasks of INR emails, complaints, etc. Highly dependent on the merchant profile like products, average order value, royal mail format (large letter), etc.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016