1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

The Process of Importing Goods

Discussion in 'Import & Export' started by Fardel, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Fardel

Fardel

Good Morning all

Many times I am asked to advise the basics of importing to UK and also i have advised below in many posts so i thought i would give its own thread :) purely for basic info and advise but hope below proves useful to many.......

The below is something that i provide many first timers as a very rough guide, of course the whole importing proceedure means i could rattle on for hours i will try and list the important parts to make sure that you are in the know of the basics and the rest we can tackle part by part
    So in no particular order....

Firstly Rates,

it is important to understand the terms you are buying from the supplier on they will prob give you a CIF rate which means origin charges and frt is included on comm inv, at this stage it is important to find out what charges you will pay in UK as shippers normally get good deals locally but someone has to pay for the charges it costs us consolidators to move the cntr etc, so you end up getting hammered in UK for import charges

Check an FOB rate out which of course you would get from the UK Agent such as ourselves, then you can check what works better for you, you can also ask for an EX WORKS price this means all you pay supplier for is actual goods and you pay the rest from their factory to yours

Secondly Arrival in UK

it is important to know that the cargo will arrive in a groupage cntr if LCL (less than container load) i.e. if we bring in for you we will have to arrange to customs bond the cntr to our customs approved whs then arrnage devan, this takes 1-4 working days on ave depending on volume of cntrs arriving that week. In our bonded whs it will be given a UCN number (Unique consignment number) of which is then the reference for your actual goods and the reference used to clear the goods

Until the goods are cleared and we have received all our funds due the cargo will not be released or delivered to you, this bit many stumble on and think that they can have delivery instantly goods arrive in UK

Important to note here that the clearance proceedures normally take 3-4 days from time of paperwork rcv'd from yourself and full clearance being granted subject to payment from yourself

Thirdly Clearance

Of course there are millions of Tariff codes and all have set Duty and VAT % set to them , some are free some are high, we can advise you on your tariff code or goods accordingly with just a quick mail or call

We would require the following from you - basis commercial goods

Commercial Invoice
    Packing list
    Bill of lading
    Commodity code
    VAT number / Psuedo turn
    Certificates - now these may not be needed it depends again on your goods and normally these are issued at origin like a certificate or origin (form A) or health cert depending on goods
    ****note here any products of animal origin like foodstuffs and leather may need port health certs , DO NOT SHIP THESE UNTIL YOU HAVE ENQUIRED FULLY ***
    Deferment number - this most do not have, it is an account number set up with customers to take vat/duty from of which you have to put up guarantee's etc, we have one as we are a UK clearing agent but the only companies who have them are those who import a lot of goods - there is a charge for use of this facility as well.

Once we get all docs we would then process through the electronic customs system, this would generate the vat and duty figures of which we would advise you along with all your other charges, once you have paid (normally cleared funds) then we put that through on our deferment account and your goods will go a particular route through customs , route 6 is pretty much instant , route 3 and route 1 could mean a lenthy hold/delay and before you ask it is a random amount depending on what customs want to look into route 1 being the worse

Once full clearance is through then full delivery or collection can take place - of course note that most deliveries within our industry require the consignee to unload unless you payfor a tail lift or the labour to unload

this is a rough guideline and in no way legally binding, there is of course a lot more to it but i have tried to keep it informal as poss but informative :D

Best regards
    Paul
  2. Fardel

Fardel

thought i would re-ignite this as it may help many ;)
  3. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

i am sure it will - excellent post
  4. truereddevil

truereddevil

Excellent info this should be a sticky :)
  5. PT

PT

Missed this one.

Great post, these kind of questions get asked all the time, so I'm sure it will be a great help to many!
  6. canada

canada Retired Moderator

Thread moved to a sticky for "Payment and Shipping Discussion".

Scott
  7. Fardel

Fardel

thanks all for your kind words and making the thread a sticky, just glad i can be of some help :)
  8. andreasmoutta

andreasmoutta

what about if you are not vat registered?
    how can i get over this hurdle.
  9. Fardel

Fardel

you have to apply for an EORI at time of import
  10. shower

shower

It is the highlight which gives the customers fair and trust feel! I have encountered some bad service providers, sometimes it even affects my happy mood. I believe this will be successful.
  11. christene20

christene20

well friend you have share very information it will really help the users ...
    thanks a lot...
  12. dnevets

dnevets

Fardel, your description is great, but could you (or anyone else) help me out with a few more specific questions? Perhaps the answers are obvious to some, but they say the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask! So, with that in mind...

1) When my supplier gives a FOB price, will this always include all the packaging that is required before it goes on the ship? (I think I read somewhere that someone got stung for additional costs on this before, since it wasn't included... though it strikes me as something that *should* be included.)

2) I have a supplier with FOB prices, and I've found a reasonable quote for the shipping costs, so how do the 2 parties go together? I mean, what information do I have to get from my supplier to give to the shipping company, and vice versa? How and when do I get the info and give it to the other party?

3) I have a supplier, a shipping agent... what else do I need? I think I also need a customs clearance agent, and then a freight forwarder in order to get my items to me. Are there any other steps in the process that I'm missing?

I think that's all I can think of right now...
    In case it makes any difference, I'll be importing (a part/shared container) from China (Xiamen) to the UK.
  13. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

1. FOB covers all costs to port of shipping
    2. The shipping agent will cover all of this direct with the supplier
    3. You dont need anything else. The shipping agent will handle customs clearance and every thing else.

Good luck :)
  14. dnevets

dnevets

Wow - now that was fast!

Regarding question 2: I have a quote from a shipping agent that said they do not deal with customs clearance, and they advised me to contact someone else to organise that process. So... is that unusual?
  15. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

16. PPL

PPL

But there is no VAT charge for exporting goods out of the UK to europe?
  17. ladyvgw

ladyvgw

If the recipient is a vat registered business in their country then you can get their vat number and not charge vat.

If they are not registered then it is dealt with as a normal sale.

Vicky :)
  18. DOLCE VITA

DOLCE VITA

Hi , I am fairly new. I want to purchase virgin brazilian hair from a chinese supplier. However it states: FOB USD 100~250 / Kilogram.

Could you held me make sense of this please in plain english? I understand what FOB is having read the thread- however will there be any hidden costs with this that I should look out for?

This is just a small sample, I know there is a demand for it but I want to see whether it can be profitable for me.

Thanks guys
  19. Anthony

Anthony

You can expect local duties on top of the figure disclosed by your supplier.
  20. Adam Quean

Adam Quean

Thanks for the info Fardel. Really helps the newbies like me!
    Ben Ahmaid likes this.