1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

The Process of Importing Goods

Discussion in 'Import & Export' started by Fardel, Oct 21, 2009.

1. zeric

zeric

thanks on the info
  2. James and James

James and James

I can't stress enough how important it is to get all the documentation in order BEFORE the shipment leaves.

Airside (or Seaside? :p) storage charges can be in the region of £50+ a day and quickly add up if the consignment is held pending documentation.

James
  3. fashionbootshoe

fashionbootshoe

nice post,
  4. Import Expert

Import Expert

Good informative Post. I get a lot of enquiries from first time importers.

Just to expand on the terms issue - If you are buying from China especially (particulalrly LCL/groupage) ALWAYS pay the freight in the UK (So buy on EXW/FOB Terms).

Chinese shipper will offer to ship on CIF/C&F terms (so they in affect are paying the freight up to UK 'Port').
    Seems to the importer to be a bargain as price including shipping is so low.
    On arrival in UK the shippers UK freight forwarder will charge you extremely high UK charges (Such as THC/Documentation/handling)
    Once this is paid to them, they give a 'kickback' to their Chinese counterpart, to essentially pay for the true value of the freight.

The result is that with CIF/CFR/C&F terms you have probably paid near double what you should have done.

If you are getting a quote off a freight forwarder for freight as them for an all in rate to door - This will help ensure there are no hidden extras. I am happy to look over any quotations to see if they are resonable before shipping if this acceptable to TWF.

Please also bear in mind that for seafreight you will usually be given free time of around seven days to get your goods off the quayy or out of the freight forwarders warehouse. After this point you will incur charges on a daily basis.

5. chrism41

chrism41

Hello my name is Chris i am 21 and i am new to the scene (and forum) and have some good ideas of what to import and have sourced many chinese companies that supply the goods. One in particular I used to dropship for and have good communic!tions with and would regard them as trust worthy. However when i say im new i mean bare bones basic new and I am struggling to understand even this post. I dont understand things like - whs, comm inv, arrnage devn - i dont know what these stand for, it all seems really confusing to me, I would really appreciate it if someone has any spare time at all and could explain the import process to me step by step, i.e
    1. Find supplier
    I feel so helpless i dont even know what to wright for number 2 myself. I really am at the very very begginning here and would really appreciate the oppurtunity to learn abit more to get me in the right direction so if anybody has the time i would be so grateful because i have the drive and ideas to hopefully make something out of this, i just need to learn, Firstly I would like to import 100 waterproof material mats with foam sealed inside, they weigh approx 350g each and would be packaged seperatly in clear plasic dimensions approx 50cm x 40cm x 5cm, x 100. Then boxed togeather. They are worth approx £3.00 sterling each (I would sell them for £10-15 though, and quite quickly ;) ) they would be my first shipment to understand how things go however for the future i have plans for much more lucrative goods, so if anybody could help me step by step on what paperwork and how to obtain it, any licences needed or registrations, any companies that could help me with this and approx costs, please help, thank you i look forward to a reply :)
  6. Power Forwarding

Power Forwarding

Chris,

Email me on [email protected] and I'll assist you with how the process works and sort you out costs for the shipping.
  7. jessemoraes

jessemoraes

Excellent info many thanks
  8. Jerrysourcing

Jerrysourcing

9. Lee8210

Lee8210

Some great posts in there, very informative, I am looking to import from China and am trying to work out if it would be better to let the factory/ trading company take care of it all or the one I think might be better is using a uk shipping agent like powerforwarding.

Lee.
  10. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Lee,

I can help if needed with shipping. China is our biggest market.

Kind regards,
    Darren.
  11. yvonne_jie

yvonne_jie

Darren, can you PM me I need to know the shipping costs as well. Thanks.
  12. newworldicon

newworldicon

Hi Fardel

I was wondering if you could offer me some advice on the idea of importing fresh mushrooms from Poland to the UK for sale at the wholesale markets or other smaller consumers. I would be looking at importing about a ton per week. Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Many thanks
  13. Ellen_Cai

Ellen_Cai

i think it's unusual.
    Ben Ahmaid likes this.
  14. Power Forwarding

Power Forwarding

Amanda,

Yes that's fine, please let me know details and I'll help how I can.
  15. Kevin Still

Kevin Still

Looking for some help!

I'm new to importing and don't really understand the processes involved. Despite this, I had a large project to fulfil in February and imported a container of goods worth circa £150k. These came from a bonded warehouse in Rotterdam and paid for directly to the Chinese supplier. I applied and received an EORI number, used a Dutch freight company who delivered the goods to my warehouse in Bristol and everything seems good, project finished, happy customers etc. However....

I know that the customs duty is 0% on these goods but what about VAT? I've accounted for having to pay 20% VAT but am completely lost on how to register the shipment with HMRC. Having called HMRC a couple of times, they also seem to be unable to explain how to do this. I have a letter from the Dutch freight forwarder which states:
    "1) You should declare the VAT in your country using our VAT number xxxx
    2) You should declare the goods for Intrastat
    3) Kindly return a copy of this letter signed to confirm your receipt and the registration of the VAT..."

Its not that I want to hand over £30k to HMRC only to receive it back in a few weeks with my VAT return, but I'd rather know what I'm doing right or wrong and not have any surprises!

Any comments welcome.
  16. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Kevin,

If goods have been customs cleared out of a Dutch bonded warehouse, the chances are they will have used some form of 'Fiscal Representation', which in very simple terms means that they clear goods using their own VAT number (usually) and goods are customs cleared. The VAT is not paid, but instead held against their guarantee. As such the VAT then becomes payable in the UK against your own VAT number. Once you pay this to HMRC, quoting the Dutch agents VAT number, the VAT amount is then released from their own guarantee. (It's slightly more complicated than that but hopefully gives you an idea fow it works).

So yes you would need to make an Intrastat declaration and make payment of the VAT to HMRC. They will in turn issue you with a C79 the following month, which you can use to claim the VAT back.

To get more information as to exactly how you should make this declaration I would call the HMRC advice line on 0845 010 9000. They are (now) pretty useful and will provide you with all information needed and send out any forms or give you web links you need to follow.

Kind regards,
    Darren.
  17. E Care Solutions

E Care Solutions

Very useful info thxx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. StrazzaDiari

StrazzaDiari

Excellent guide thx
  19. carl atkinson

carl atkinson

The post is not usual and really made a difference and gained so much knowledge and information which boosted my confidence..Thank you so much..

<mod edit: signature removed>
  20. speed

speed

Hello guys, thank you for a nice post.
    I have some questions if anyone can help me with. I am new to business and importing goods in particular.
    Here's what I want: I want to import a probe small amount of goods from Ukraine. I have TARIC number, I called to HMRC and confirmed that VAT and Customs Duty is going to be all 0% (supplier provides EUR1 certificate that confirms the place of origin)
    Here's what I have done: I am in the process of registering through HMRC (sole trader or ltd? Don't know what should I choose yet).
    I figured out that I need to be registered VAT and apply for EORI number to be able to import goods in the UK.
    The supplier gives me the FCA price. Goods will be boxed. The supplier doesn't provide transport and customs clearance.
    I've contacted TNT and got a nice quote from them. A quote included a delivery from the supplier directly to my house.
    Now this is when it gets blurry to me. I tried to contact with following questions some of customs clearance agencies but they refused to give me any information unless I have my own company.
    The question is what does the whole process look like?
    1. The supplier gives me a bill which I pay.
    2. What happens next? I contact TNT? If so what do I give them so they take goods from my supplier and supplier knows which goods should they give to a driver?
    3. TNT doesn't make customs clearance (form C88). A customs broker can do that.
    4. I contact broker (£50) and they fill the form C88 and give it to CHIEFF. What documents do I need to give to a broker? What happens next? Will they give me some papers that I need to give to TNT before I arrange the shipment?
    5. What happens next? TNT delivers goods (where? to customs warehouse?)
    6. After customs the goods supposed to be delivered to my home by the same TNT.
    I'm frustrated, its so hard to find right information online, HMRC just gives references to brokers. I will be very thankful is someone can shed some light on this.