1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

The Process of Importing Goods

Discussion in 'Import & Export' started by Fardel, Oct 21, 2009.

1. George Lentaris

George Lentaris

Hi Paul,

Very informative indeed.

I would like your advice on something.... I am a UK based business I would like to make luminous paints, but I need to purchase strontium powder from China in order to mix it with and produce the product. Is the powder in this category considered as "raw material"?

How much taxes (import duties +VAT) will I have to pay? Is there a difference if the pigment is in a liquid form?

Please help me out.

Regards,
    George
  2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Few years ago, I have imported scrap catalytic converters in the UK and the process was pain in the *ss . I had to obtain a document called Anex VII and to inform the local autorities. That is because the cats are qualified as "waste" .My point is that for each goods - the rules and documents are different.
  3. asiatradeuk

asiatradeuk

hi folks. im new to importing. ive found a few suppliers in china for some products i want to ship/fly over to the uk to sell in the uk, but the import/vat/customs baffles the hell out of me. im not a vat registered company (yet) due to the 83k in sales limit per year not reached. im wondering is there companies that will collect from warehouse in china and deliver to me or an amazon center in the uk, taking care of all the customs and payments etc, and me just getting a bill overall from such delivery company? basically taking out all the headache of customs etc.
  4. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi AsiatradeUK - We as a freight forwarder can help with this. We can quote seafreight from FOB China to UK Door (FBA if required) and will take care of all customs formalities. Drop me over an email with the details once known. Kind regards, Darren. [email protected]
  5. asiatradeuk

asiatradeuk

Hi Darren, thanks for reply. we have already exchanged emails within the last day, just replied now regards me not being a large importer as just starting out, but in your email you mention you can put me in touch with someone regards smaller shipments from china. im guessing my initial early shipments will be in the 25kg-50kg range, and increasing if the profit allows growth.
  6. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi - Sure - I'll pop you an email over. All the best, Darren.
  7. imransaeed

imransaeed

Thanks, This is very informative.
  8. imraniqbal1992

imraniqbal1992

Hi paul i'm a furniture manufacturer based in yorkshire l;ooking to import raw materials from pakistan. could you explain to me the difference between a freight forwarder and a clearing agent. also do i have to pay an duties or fees at the port off the country off origin. also would you be aware off a good reputable escro service based in pakistan?
  9. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Paul,

A clearing agent will just handle the customs clearance for you on arrival UK. A freight forwarder will handle the whole shipment from A to B, including the customs clearance. Duty/VAT would be payable in UK to clear through customs. Sorry I can't help with escro in PK.
  10. imraniqbal1992

imraniqbal1992

Thankyou for your reply i am looking to bring in goods from my home country could you explain to me the process off having the goods loaded on to the ship from country off origin too having the goods clear customs or where i can find this information
  11. imraniqbal1992

imraniqbal1992

also is felixtowe port the only port to use for commercial importers in the uk ?
  12. Import Expert

Import Expert

If you take a look at the importing guide in my signature that should be of use. From Asia generally Felixstowe, Southampton or London gateway Ports will be used.
  13. Andy Freeman

Andy Freeman

Hi.
    Any help here appreciated.
    I have been importing supplements from the U.S (1 supplier)
    for over 5 years. Same business, EORI in place. VAT registered.

All my shipments have been purchased with DHL, all shipments have passed
    thorough DHL East Midlands.

For 5 years +, DHL have billed my imports at 20% VAT, no duty.

I have only just become aware that I should have been paying duty on some of the items
    and no VAT should have been charged on some of the items.

As DHL handle the whole process and I just pay the duty/import invoices on my DHL ebilling account daily
    has anyone any experience with this?

HMRC have basically brought all this to my attention as they are now conducting a compliance check.

The majority of my imports are non VAT-able items, teas , coffee etc..
    I have completed all the paper HMRC require was really interested if anyone has any experience with this.

Regards Andy
  14. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Andy,

It's fairly common. Unfortunately it is the legal responsibility of the importer to ensure correct tariff codes are used. So this should involve checking paperwork that DHL provide afterwards with regards to the customs entry to ensure everything is correct. However, I completely understand that many importers will lean on the courier/forwarder for their knowledge. With DHL there is probably less of a customer service aspect as they are obviously a massive company.

In future, ensure you provide written instructions to DHL to cover yourself.

The HMRC custom tariff along with guidance notes for classification of products can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

Note that HMRC can go back up to three years trading and adjust any Duty/VAT paid.

Kind regards,
    Darren.
  15. Andy Freeman

Andy Freeman

Hi Darren

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate your time.

DHL asked me to sign a customs clearance authority on the 26.9.2016. Which I did.

I then started to be charged duty as well as V.A.T on every single product.
    DHL gave me an ebilling account at the start of our business as imports were charged before
    we received goods.

The amount of supplements, tea's coffee etc.. I have imported for sale is large.

I have spent this weekend gone going through just 1 weeks worth of imports from 2 years ago
    which is around the dates HMRC want as evidence/ proof.

As I was unaware of the complexity of duty / VAT on so many items, I have calculated that nearly 30%
    of what I imported that week alone was not charged duty but instead charged the full amount of 20% V.A.T.

So 30% have been charged 20% VAT instead of between 9%-11% duty.

This is now a mess. I have as of today stopped selling all products. I have submitted all the documents
    HMRC have requested from me and will be honest and explain I was unaware of the full implications of importing
    and that I take full responsibility.

Thank you again

Regards Andy
  16. Import Expert

Import Expert

No problem Andy. The plus side is that if you have overpaid overall as a result of the VAT issues, you would be liable for a refund from HMRC..
  17. imraniqbal1992

imraniqbal1992

so would i need to contact a freight forwarder from country off origin or delivery destination
  18. Import Expert

Import Expert

I would usually recommend using one wherever you are based. Make sure they are members of BIFA if UK.
    imraniqbal1992 likes this.
  19. imraniqbal1992

imraniqbal1992

Hi Paul thanks for the very informative thread just had a few questions

1. Is it best too use a freight forwarder or a shipping agent and what are the differences
    2. After deciding which one I need do I just hand them contact details for the company at where the goods are ?
    3. What are the benefits off buying ex works and how would I get the goods too port ?
  20. imraniqbal1992

imraniqbal1992

What are the benefits off buying ex works and would I have too arrange for transport from factory to the ports ?