1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Thinking of Importing for the First Time?

Discussion in 'Import & Export' started by Import Expert, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jed

Jed

PayPal is safer, you have little to no protection with bank transfer.
    E-Spartan likes this.
  2. E-Spartan

E-Spartan

Thank you for your reply Jed. A while ago I've heard that paypal has a feature called "payment after delivery". Do you know anything about it?
  3. Cody

Cody

As far as I'm aware, PayPal has that option to allow you to receive your item/s first before you pay. This is about 13/14 days (correct me if I'm wrong). PayPal pays the merchant, and will request payment from you once you receive the products. This is to allow enough time to get the item, make sure it's working, fit for use etc.
  4. twizzlybobs

twizzlybobs

We are looking at importing a product from China. We have received samples and are just getting the artwork ready. I know the parcel is going to weight approx 55-60kg (no idea on dimensions, but it will be 1 pallet at most). Reading through this thread it looks like our best way of going forward with getting the goods delivered to our warehouse will be by using a freight forwarding company. If we do that, will the freight company deal with and make sure all of the import paperwork is handled correctly or is that something I'm still going to have to do myself?

Secondly, how do I go about finding out how much delivery and import duty is likely going to cost?
  5. Power Forwarding

Power Forwarding

Hi,

Yes the forwarder will clear through customs for you. The supplier will provide the commercial invoice and packing list required. Delivery quote would be provided by the forwarder. Duty will be dependant on the commodity code used.
  6. Sophia Liang

Sophia Liang

In my opinion,communication is the most important.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2017
  7. BrunoW

BrunoW

Great post, really! thanks for helping us doing hoemworks!

Now some questions - We trying to sell wine to UK - how can we do FOB to UK clients? (we want the clients to order piece of minds wine for their business) knowing that clients somehow are the only one who can pay for its DUTY tax and VAT? (if we understand well)

Can woodlands clear this?
  8. BrunoW

BrunoW

ALL inclusive - I guess its FOB your address in UK -

Hi,

You mention courrier will invoice you, means on the invoice will be VAT & DUTY, and SHIPPING? is that correct?

is it the same process for freight forwarders?

If I understand well, for your import experience, you will deal with 2 entities only? first is your supplier from abroad, which you pay, and second will be your courrier/freight forwarders? or still the courrier/FW is being handled by the supplier, so that you deal with only one entity...? (in this case you handle the supplier I guess is being invoiced by the courrier/FW on your behalf?)

Sorry its crazy :D
  9. Import Expert

Import Expert

Hi Bruno,

You don't say where wine is coming from but if non-EU then FOB would be fine. The UK forwarder would need to be appointed by the importer to handle shipping from FOB overseas port to UK door and arrange customs clearance. They would then pay relevant Duty/VAT and Excise Duty on arrival. Due to the nature of the product, better to ship by Full Container Load. I Believe the supplier needs to issue a VI1 certificate for the importer. More details here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wine-trade-regulations