1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Thinking of starting a business ?..A few things to take note of

Discussion in 'Start-ups & Business Advice' started by beacon hill, Feb 8, 2016.

1. beacon hill

beacon hill

After seeing a few threads about people thinking of starting an e Bay, drop shipping , small business etc, you
    need to take serious note of the following.
    OK if you are doing a house clearance / personal items..But if you are thinking of starting a new business you
    are self employed.

As soon as you start buying to sell at a profit you become self employed or sole trader

You must register with HMRC. https://www.gov.uk/business-legal-structures/sole-trader
    Just saying you are just starting out as a hobby will not impress them

Get planning permission.
    Call your local council to let them know your plans..Even if you are drop shipping and only using your
    address for correspondence, you will need to ask them if planning permission is needed. Providing your
    home continues to look like a home on the outside, functions as a home on the inside, and that you
    are not keeping stock in a garage or other outside building, you will not need planning permission
    and not need to pay extra rates..When they are happy with this, ask them to put it in writing. Be aware
    they may insist on a home visit to satisfy their curiosity and ask about how many deliveries you may
    be expecting each week.

Talk to your neighbours. Let them know what your plans are and that you may be getting some larger
    deliveries than normal..Unless you are lucky, there is normally one `Victor Meldrew` in each street.
    I got one that moved in to our close the other year, who immediately started shouting and finger pointing
    in my face..A combination of the written permission from the council (said you may need it) and reporting
    him to the police for harassment got the desired affect and he,s been quite since

If you are getting tax credits of one kind or another, you need to let them know each year at renewal
    about any extra income..You could be in big trouble if you don`t

All the above if fairly simple to do..It must be if I can do it..You may be lucky and get through the net.
    But believe me HMRC are looking through e bay and websites looking for anyone that may not be registered.
    I for one got a random call from the local trading standards, who noticed I was a small business, and wanted to
    make sure was all OK and went through my website to ensure all my details / T&Cs etc were correct and legal.

Feel free to add anything I,ve missed that you need to do when starting out
  2. marketmat

marketmat

Thanks for this, very helpful
    i have a Victor Meldrew next door, but my business plan shouldnt involve my home so all should be good there.