This message is awaiting moderator approval

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by uhafmail, Dec 11, 2015.

1. uhafmail

uhafmail

Just replied to someone asking for advice and i got the following message:

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

I would have thought someone who has been here for over years and over 6000 posts would be deemed safe enough to bypass the need for moderator approval.
  2. Gary

Gary

Sorry for any inconvenience however there is currently no way to auto approve posts by post count or duration of membership (possibly short of creating a new user group but I'm not sure what management think of this or indeed if it could work for this purpose @Erik @Helen thoughts?).

Currently all members in certain sections of the forum have their posts sent to a moderation queue due to those areas being the most common for spam, however I was also writing a response to the same thread and have already approved your reply, I have also now moved the thread to the business advice section where moderation of posts isn't necessary.
  3. uhafmail

uhafmail

Thanks Gary. I would have thought this sort of auto moderation would stifle conversation and therefore reduce the number of posts made, maybe management should consider going through the effort of creating another user group. Just knowing that replies to the General Wholesale section requires moderation puts me off bothering to reply.
  4. Gary

Gary

I can understand where you're coming from, and even though moderation is only active on two sections of the forum it would be good if something could be worked out for established members such as yourself.

How I understood it was that the moderation was initially meant to be temporary but last I heard it was to stay due to the amount of spam which comes through in those sections, and that was a long time ago.
  5. uhafmail

uhafmail

I can completely understand the need to fight spam, i can't even imagine how much a site like this gets every day. But you could probably be pretty safe to assume anyone over 100 posts is very unlikely to be spamming the forum.
  6. SimonN

SimonN

I'm surprised that with over 6000 posts you've only just noticed that uhafmail?
  7. uhafmail

uhafmail

I stopped posting regularly a few years ago when the forum went down hill. My last 40 posts have taken over 2 and a half years.
    TheDevil, Dave and SimonN like this.
  8. SimonN

SimonN

Good to see you back posting mate.
    uhafmail likes this.
  9. Erik

Erik

Thanks for bringing this up @uhafmail , I also had a private message regarding this from one of the new advertisers (thinking they might have been under watch but they are not). Unfortunately it seems that it won't help if we create a new usergroup. See the image on the options below:

[​IMG]

That is the only page I saw where it mentions the moderated posts, and the usergroup options only give us the option to allow the users of that group to create posts and replies or not (yes that's it, just allow or deny, no option to skip the moderation).

One thing I noticed is that this "moderation" option is only active in both General Wholesale and Introductions, which I think they made it so before as these 2 areas are the hotspots for spam.

So, in light to that, I think we could remove the moderation for General Wholesale altogether if the mods (@Gary , @Dean , @jedi777 ) could see that we have lesser spam coming in to that section on a daily basis, and somewhat manageable if we do it manually (I just come across spam posts less than 10 daily, which is not a big deal). Add to that certainly that the whole community knows the difference between spam or not, and can easily file a report for spam, I don't think we'll be put into so much problems if we remove it altogether.

Moderators, I need your thoughts on this - especially if this would mean a better posting privilege for all members. I'll speak to Helen regarding this and if we all think that this would be no problem, we could remove the whole moderation thing once and for all (but we'll do that January perhaps, since we might be expecting a number of them the next few weeks - Christmas and New Year).
  10. Dean

Dean

I think it's ok to remove it. It can always go back on if things get worse again.
    Erik likes this.
  11. uhafmail

uhafmail

Sorry mods, didn't mean to put you guys under pressure of doing more work. Thought it would be a button to unclick somewhere!

@Erik Thanks for the detailed explanation!
  12. Erik

Erik

No worries, I think it's just good to ask the guys first if their forecast is good (like there are just a few spammers getting caught) over the past few weeks / months and it will be our basis if it will be fine or not. And as you can see above Dean seems to agree to the move, I assume Gary will do too. I just have to confirm this one from them - you cannot imagine how fast these guys are on catching the moderation queue!

@Dean - good to know your thoughts. Let's wait for Gary and Jed to give theirs.

Just to make it clear again, once we go through with this we'll start January to at least we have a stopper during these busy Christmas weeks.
  13. Gary

Gary

@Erik

I agree with maybe removing moderation of general wholesale posts for a trial starting in the new year (like Dean said it can always go back if it becomes too much of an issue again).

I would suggest leaving it in introductions though, obviously this is also depending on what everyone else thinks.

The reason I wondered if a new user group may work is of course as moderators and above aren't queued, but also was unsure if it could work in this way as the extra permissions may be coupled with other moderation ability (as I have no experience with the administration area of xenforo or moderation settings), so thank you for confirmation Erik.
  14. psxgamer

psxgamer

I've also had the "your message is awaiting aproval".

LOL in my case I thought it was to prevent any further Ebay bashing :D
  15. Erik

Erik

Great, thanks for the reply Gary. Yes, we can always try this out and see what happens after that. I'll coordinate this with Helen and we'll make it happen next year. Introductions could still be left of course, depends on what our viewpoint will be. But yes, I think the intro section has the concentration of most spam, so we'll consider that before we make changes.

Apparently I was also unaware how this thing works and as you have known, I most of the time have to scour the admin section for ways to do things and such, most even via trial and error (and sometimes, accidents). I also had that thought when I saw this thread of creating a new group (I mean why not, right?) as it might be the solution, until I saw that it is actually just a check box with no other option. So good for us all at least now we know how this thing works lol!

And who in their crazy mind would block those colourful content of yours about eBay, Koen? :D
  16. psxgamer

psxgamer

No longer any colourful content to post since I no longer sell on Ebay since more than 1,5 years and since then so busy that I no longer have the time for it :)
  17. Jed

Jed

That's my thoughts on this too, it's definitely the category that gets the most spam on a constant basis.
    I see no harm in trying it for the general wholesale section, can always be turned back on if it starts getting flooded as I'm sure regular members would start to notice and notify us if all they're seeing is spam.
  18. Erik

Erik

Great then! We have all the feedback from the moderators. I already forwarded our findings to Helen and I am just waiting official word to go with the said plan.

Just to keep bugging everyone, we'll start this move January after the New Year celebration and we'll check how this thing goes during the first quarter. I'll keep everyone updated on whether we already have the go signal (highly likely it will be approved anyway) and make the official announcement as soon as we make the changes.
    Helen likes this.
  19. Helen

Helen

I say yes also, I know I'm not posting alot but I am moderating because it seemed to be alot of innocuous posts were getting caught up.
    Erik likes this.
  20. psxgamer

psxgamer

[​IMG]

:D LOL, never mind, just wanted to add some more colourful content. No Ebay, but the colours are certainly there