1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Threads being closed for discussing sensitive issues

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Volantary, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Browsing

Just Browsing Banned Member

I agree entirely, but I also believe that no one has the right to tell anyone else if they dont like it they should sling their hook, I do not believe that someone who speaks to people like that should be a mod.
    The thread in question was closed because of a comment made towards myself and Gary knowing me probably closed it before I could retaliate as he probably knows I speak my mind abruptly and to the point which would have escalated it.
    If I was Gary I would tell TWF to shove the mods position so he can go back to being a normal member with opinions that the rest of us take for granted
    PrestonDesigns likes this.
  2. ResellerLad

ResellerLad

I think making some members moderators was the wrong idea. They, much like the rest of us, have become attached to the forum for one reason or another. Making them a moderator will not change that, and they'll never be able to be impartial and enjoy using the forum like they used to before become a mod.

Anthony needs to employ some proper mods and stop being a cheapo, then the forum will start to pick up back to what it once was.
    PrestonDesigns likes this.
  3. Digital Seller

Digital Seller

The posts seem to be recycling a fair bit now. Opinions have been voiced and views have clashed and it seems to be going in circles.

It has become more of a 'Let me change your view to mine' rather than what this thread was originally intended for.

The forum members have had their say and the Mods have had theirs and clearly their views clashed but maybe we should leave it as it is as there's not much more either side can say without repeating their-self and causing more conflict.
    Gary, Michael and ladyvgw like this.
  4. Dave

Dave

Whats the problem here, summer is over, the nights are getting dark earlier and everyone is bored and this slagging is the only fun available?
  5. Just Browsing

In your opinion though should we be allowed to have adult discussions or not??
  6. Dave

Dave

In my opinion as plain old Dave yes we should but not to the extent that it starts a fight.
    I remember a few discussions of old where I nearly put my fist through my screen - going too far.
  7. Just Browsing

I can remember a few heated discussions as well, but they made the place worth coming back for. After all that is what groups do they debate and discuss things. I made a thread recently about how TWF has changed and that it was not the same anymore. Then just when you have threads that actually get people talking we are told we cannot have them.
    I fear that this place will become like a ghost town if no one is allowed to have open debates about what they wish to, fair enough if a post is out of order then delete the post but not close down the thread as that effectively ends the debate.
    Content=traffic=buyers=sellers=revenue for Anthony, I am also sort of appalled that not ONE PAID member of staff has bothered to comment on this thread and in particular give Gary a bit of support.
    Personally if I was a mod I would tell them to shove it and actually PAY people to moderate professionally.

UKBF of which im a member and which is leaps and bounds ahead of this forum in terms of business advice, legal etc etc do not stifle debate apart from when it gets out of hand then they take appropriate action against the member in question(I speak from experience as im currently banned :oops:). But at least they realise that adults are adults and adults discuss things
  8. QuickPackSupplies

QuickPackSupplies

I haven't read many threads above in detail above, just the title and think that these type of treads cause pointless banter/arguments which are totally unnecessary.

They don't resolve much at all. A simple PM to the people in question would get it resolved quicker.

I'm passionate about TWF like anyone else but I have a life and couldn't value spending 20 minutes reading all these arguments.
  9. Volantary

Volantary

20 minutes would make you a pretty quick reader!
  10. QuickPackSupplies

QuickPackSupplies

120 minutes then!
  11. Dan Perry

Dan Perry

Im not being funny or taking sides but I saw a post created the other day asking what has become of TWF, stating that the place has changed etc, etc. Is it any wonder the place has changed when people are more interested in having arguments on a thread about another thread being shut down, which has no relation to selling, buying or advice.

Im all up for debating and discussing opinions but 130 posts later the same things are being said and its all starting to get a bit personal and repetitive.

The moderators on this forum do the job no body else want to do in their own time and along side their own jobs and business interests.

So to the Mods how about we shut this thread down, learn from what has happened and let bygones be bygones.
    andrew page and Gary like this.
  12. Gary

Gary

Exactly my point about these things escalating, I have seen many people banned, generally good honest straight talking people, banned from forums because of heated arguments over sensitive issues, let's just say people get passionate about their beliefs, this isn't about stifling debate, it's about certain types of debates that always get out of control putting accounts at risk when peoples hands type quicker than their head can think clearly...lol so you would prefer that TWF let adults be adults and just ban members left right and centre? Why the need to get to that.
    and families.

and I would close it as it got beyond ridiculous many pages ago however, as it's about me I will leave it for another mod or staff to decide.

In response to the comments regarding 'members shouldn't be mods', many forums work like this and have done for years, most mods on most forums are voluntary members helping out (contrary to popular belief).
  13. Just Browsing

Yes I would prefer that members could have adult debates, I was actually banned on the other site as someone made a very personal comment and I reacted.
    Yes mods are normally members but on here its not working in my opinion,
    You cannot speak your on mind anymore and that is not right, after all you like to get involved in discussions as well.
    Another mod has spoken to people like she owns the place and gets to the point of plain rudeness(many may accuse me of this but im NOT a mod).
    And I will make no comment on Dave as he hasnt really got involved in this thread
  14. Just Browsing

I know lets close all the threads on the forum where people disagree :rolleyes:
  15. Gary

Gary

exactly why I haven't as I knew one of the crew would bitch about it...lol

and it's not disagreeing, it's pointless as it's getting nowhere and becoming repetitive, and the vast majority of posts, regardless of how people try to dress them are just for the sake of argument, that is NOT what a debate is meant to be, especially between adults.

And regarding your previous post, again, this is proving my point, these things do get personal and pretty much always will at some stage, don't get me wrong, I like a good debate myself, however, I'm not sure it would work on here for reasons proven in this thread, it turns personal.

and yes, this thread should have been closed ages ago as soon as it got personal / abusive (and this is in the rules).
  16. Just Browsing

Well I was defending you but you yourself have been slightly personal, talking about the "crew", I hope im not included in that as im normally the one being rounded on but its the internet so A, they wouldnt talk to me like it to my face, and B stuff them its only the internet.
    Also Vicky was what I consider rude as well, you cannot uphold the rules but break them at the same time yourselves.
    I know im sometimes abrupt but im not a mod :)
  17. PrestonBros

PrestonBros Banned Member

Not wanting to keep the thread going but I need to ask one last question...

Are mods allowed to close any thread they want? I remember agreeing to a T & C with the rules in and I certainly don't remember that being in there...
  18. Just Browsing

You mean you actually read those :eek:
  19. PrestonBros

PrestonBros Banned Member

Haha don't normally read them if they are more than a page long, but TWFs are fairly short.

I'm definitely in the minority there though! My motto is ; You can never be too cautious...
  20. Gary

Gary

I said what I was referring to in a slightly earlier thread, several of the posters in this thread are in just about every similar thread regardless of what or who is being complained about and rarely post for any other reason than to complain (at least recently), and if a person aims something directly at me, of course I am going to reply to the person / people involved, and I say the crew as several people are saying the same, nothing more, nothing less, so not really personal when addressing a small group of people, it just saves naming them individually (which would make it more personal).

And I am saying this thread should have been closed long before Vicky even posted (several pages before), as it got personal long before that.

The key to a debate without it getting out of hand is having an opinion but also respecting the opinion of others so as to not go round and round in circles, and it has been proven over and over in this thread that certain people simply cannot do that and believe everyone should adapt to their views, if this had not been the case, this thread wouldn't have been no longer than 1 or 2 pages tops, but the same, typical witch hunt tactics have been utilised by several of the same members, spiraling it further than it ever should have been.

It was asked why the thread was closed, I explained, it was asked why I posted in the thread I closed, again, I explained, people didn't agree with it, fine, I really don't care, but what I do care about is wasting many hours on a load of ******** because people cannot respect differing opinions or use correct procedure which I pointed out countless times about contacting staff if they didn't agree with the decision.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.