1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Time to Put a ban On some items being sold here?

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Popcorn, Sep 15, 2008.

1. geosamm

geosamm

Might be a little difficult to get a container wrapped,packed, fumigated and shipped from here to UK in 7 days. Takes 2 days to get it to bangkok port. Unless they send a Fred Olson catamaran for it.
  2. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

^^^For the win !
  3. Anthony

Anthony

As some of you are aware, I am currently on annual leave but I have noted this thread and will ensure it is brought up for debate when I return.

I also agree that further steps must be taken to attempt to make our marketplace more secure for our members and I am committed to doing so.
  4. lemonwonder

lemonwonder

One thing I think may help, is to create a limit, perhaps 1000 posts before you can advertise.. If it was something small like 50 or 100... I could do that in a day.. I plan to advertise soon, I am legit but will not actually see my stock apart from test samples of it.
  5. MitchNZ

MitchNZ

I think brokering should be banned, even though I have considered it. I have never bought anything here or sold anything but if I did I would not go near anything brokered, if something goes wrong there's big problems. If your not prepared to risk holding stock that's your problem.

Also I don't think the posts idea is a good one no offense, can't see it helping. Your ability to do buisniss should not be based on how much crap you've posted. Remember NorthyImports, he had a lot of post, brokered and caused a big problem. His story pretty much backs up everything I've said.
  6. lemonwonder

lemonwonder

Brokering should be okay. As long as people agree to take responsibility for it, it just simply saves a shipping cost. And shipping costs to New Zealand then to other customers, it is just getting quite high that the best price cannot be supplied.
    If the user is legit, and is prepared to take responsibility for what they legally have to, and makes sure they state the terms of sale properly it should be fine. The difference between coming to my house then yours, or from there to yours, just a large shipping cost. All the responsibilities (in my case) are still held, and nobody will be told to simply bring it up to the supplier, I will personally ensure the error is fixed.

Having a few posts, doesn't mean you are necessarily a good seller, but it may stop a few scammers that pay the 30$, come on, sell 2k worth of fake product and leave.
  7. AnyTshirt

AnyTshirt

What diffrence does it make 100 posts or a 1000 some one could get 1000 posts we all think he/she is fine do deal with as they have been here a long time get an advertisng account and rip all of us off.
  8. AnyTshirt

AnyTshirt

I broker some sotck what harm has it done but now most of my stock will be physical.
  9. D M

D M

The fact is the majority of the time deals have gone wrong on this forum are due to brokered stock.
  10. lemonwonder

lemonwonder

Just my opinion, not saying yours is wrong etc. But yeah, would it not stop anybody from just logging on with a new account and making a scam post... some scammers couldn't be stuffed making 1000 posts... so they wouldn't bother scamming here... But yeah then again still could get scam but IN THEORY (haven't been here long so reality unsure) it should stop some scammers.
  11. geosamm

geosamm

I held no stock at all for the last years of business... did most of my advertising by word of mouth only and shipped many containers from here to europe....
    I would never consider holding enough stock to fill 4 or 5.... 40' hightop containers...
    I negotiated many an order change mid production because the customer had changed his mind about quantity and product.
    Probably shipped over 1000 different products.
    Never lost a shipment, never lost a customer, only ever had one delayed delivery because of a storm off africa.
    Always got the customer what he wanted or a replacement of his choice if not available.
    Never charged the customer for my services until container was ready to be shipped.
    Never charged more than I stated I would, never scammed a customer or cheated him by over pricing or adding cost onto shipment.
    Whatever the customer wanted he got, but he paid for it.
    I brokered every deal between my customer and the manufacturers/shippers.
    I even drove 1000 miles to do a deal for a customer who wanted a specific item from just outside Bangkok.
    Whats wrong with brokering?
    Its the person you deal with and trust thats important.

I dont mind a clamp down on sellers.... but maybe it should be applied to buyers too.... as it is a wholesale forum.... how about minimum order quantities being raised to wholesale standard.... no more 1 / 5 / 10 buys.... how about starting the MOQ at 100.... or 50 for larger items... or how about banning products that are high risk... or how about banning branded items because there is a good chance that people will import from china to sell themselves or sell on.
  12. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

Worms....can of.....this entire subject is.
  13. geosamm

geosamm

Maybe true... but if people have strong feelings... as long as they are not knee jerk reactions.... I think they should be aired.... providing they avoid tarring everyone with the same brush....

A scammer is a scammer even if he pretends to hold physical stock
  14. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

Can't disagree with you there my friend!
  15. Pete

Pete

I see there is a new brokered deal being offered here on TWF.

These are the worst, so often people with good intentions get themselves in situations they can't handle.

Best to avoid them.
  16. greedyboy

greedyboy

You are using the wrong shippers then.
  17. greedyboy

greedyboy

Sorry I disagree. The majority of brokers do not hold stock as they either do not have the funds or the balls to actually physically hold stock.

If this isn't the case, the broker should not take any money until the stock is in hand. I can't see that happening, can you?
  18. greedyboy

greedyboy

That is fair enough, you were a genuine business/sourcing agent.

No offence, but the majority of 'brokers' here are people with no money, no business sense, operating out of a bedroom and can't every spell V.A.T let alone work out the concept of VAT.

There is a world of difference between the two.

I deal with a handful of brokers in China all the time for convenience. A trading company is essentially that. I have no problems whatsoever dealing with them.
  19. Pete

Pete

Will you be holding backorders on Didley Squat, or should I place my entire Christmas order now?
  20. Oliver

Oliver

is Didley squat a brokered deal?!