1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Time to Put a ban On some items being sold here?

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Popcorn, Sep 15, 2008.

1. greedyboy

greedyboy

I got a warehouse full of both day-to-day stock and a corner set aside for a production run of Didley Squat.
  2. Pete

Pete

Well that is reassuring. I didn't want to put them up on auction and not have a continuing supply. I can see they are going to be a hot item this Christmas.
  3. GLS Games

GLS Games

I agree that something has to be done, i have been around watching many deals fall through over time here after "broked" deals any people playing with other peoples money to try and make a few pound here and there.

However at the moment i am brokering a deal and have meet a client who (providing everything goes well) I can see myself doing a lot of business with thanks to TWF.

We do hold physical stock but the the amount of units that this particular order was for, we just couldn't possibly have ordered it for cash flow reasons. It is for an item we have HAD in stock, have a regular and constant supply of, just couldn't match the quantity without some cash from the buyer. We asked for 50% upfront just so we could complete the transaction on our side and 50% when we have stock in hand...
  4. geosamm

geosamm

One day to get the container in and load it.... and one day to drive it the 700Kilometers to Bkk Port and queue to get it in.... if a shipper told me he could do it any quicker I would not use him at all.
    If you dont base your business on reality you slip into the quagmire of lies all too easily.
  5. greedyboy

greedyboy

You have been eating too many crisps again.
  6. geosamm

geosamm

I thank you for the compliment,.. I take no offense... and I agree that there are a lot of bogus brokers about, and probably a few on here with ideas of getting rich quick. I also agree that it is an area that is fraught with danger and possible losses, it is therefor essential, if you ever contemplate entering into such an arrangement, that you choose your "broker" very very carefully, and not based solely on the possible financial gain.
    Some purposefully set out to deceive while others get caught up in their own greed.
    Vet them by all means, but a blanket ban would affect the genuine much more than the bogus, who will probably just resurface in another guise.
    After spending so long trying to do the right thing in business, the thought of the innocent, gullible and genuine business person being scammed, conned or robbed is abhorrent.

Thats not to say I dont believe in making a profit.....
  7. geosamm

geosamm

You haven't got any codswollop stacked away in the tomb like recesses of you facility have you.... I aint seen any of that in a long long time.
  8. hardwareheroes

hardwareheroes

It's behind the tripe!
  9. geosamm

geosamm

Not with the onions and brawn?.... oh dear..... I can resist anything..... but temptation... and crisps
  10. greedyboy

greedyboy

Codswallop was so last year!
  11. eAuction

eAuction

I don't see anything wrong with brokering and have moved from having all physical stock to mainly brokered.

My reasons:

- If it doesn't sell then not stuck with a load of dud stock.

- I have a reliable supplier of whom I can trust.

- I buy the items with my own funds, not the buyers - if they are due a refund then they get it.

To avoid mishaps you need to:

- Use a trusted supplier.

- Accept payment that protects the buyer.

- Keep the buyer aware of delivery times and estimates.

If all of the above is done then I see nothing wrong with brokering. It's when people get too cocky and don't have their own funds that things go wrong. Totally with Geosamm on this subject.
  12. geosamm

geosamm

I did say I hadn't seen it for a while
  13. greedyboy

greedyboy

All that is well and good until there is a break in the chain somewhere.

Getting stuck with dud stock is part and parcel of the business.

Everyone has a reliable and trustworthy supplier until they run off with your money. I am not saying this is normal but it does happen when dealing cross border.

At the end of the day, brokers need to put their money where their mouth is. Have faith in your product and stock it or don't bother at all. Harsh I know, but that's business.
  14. geosamm

geosamm

Didley Squat now in stock. Going to be a FAST mover!

is it better than my laxative?
  15. greedyboy

greedyboy

If your laxative goes through you like a porsche then I'd say yours moves a tad quicker.
  16. geosamm

geosamm

I like that... no not the laxative
  17. Pete

Pete

There has been brokering for centuries. Not a thing wrong with it, in the right circumstances.

But the fact remains that if you back though the "scams and scandals" here on TWF over the years virtually every one involves brokering.

I'd say not started out that way, they just ended up that way. My guess is they all started innocently enough, although there is a good possibility that once one or two of the "brokers" saw all that money in their bank they decided to take the money and run.

But, in most cases, they got scammed themselves. They honestly passed to funds along to the seller, or the seller's representative, and they got screwed. Stuff happens.

But then they did not have the capital to back it up. They could not refund the folks who trusted them with money they could not afford to lose. That's where the problem comes from. The guy putting the deal together (and probably making sure there is a bit extra in it for him) gets snookered and then goes to his "partners" with his pockets pulled inside out and says "sorry'.

Good intentions, poor results and nothing to back up the loss.

Before joining in one of those deals there should be an escrow fund set up by the lead partner for the full value of the order, with the others able to recover their share if the goods are not delivered by a specified date.

It's all good - until it goes bad.
  18. eAuction

eAuction

^ Totally agree, that's why I have strict rules for myself. You'll notice that most of the scams on here here are with branded electical items (Coldvision springs to mind). I'd never broker anything if I didn't have my own funds to replace the money due to any mishaps.
  19. lemonwonder

lemonwonder

agreed. I will only ever broker, if I have the funds to replace it myself. One stuff up (scam really...) and you can't show your face on these wonderful forums again.. and for what, a few dollars..
  20. D M

D M

What if customer says only recieved half the order. Your supplier says he's sent the whole order. Who do you believe?

That's why I would never broker.