1. Speak to our customer support team live today
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting The Wholesale Forums! Register for FREE today and gain access to more information. Sign up with Facebook, Twitter, or Google.

Toys 'R' Us to close at least 26 UK stores

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Jenilee, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jenilee

Jenilee

Toys ‘R’ Us, has confirmed that they will be closing 26 of their UK stores. But the closure will happen after the holidays. As a result, almost 800 of their workers will be losing their jobs.

Steve Knights, the managing director of Toys R Us UK, said the company had to take “strong and decisive action” as its largest warehouse-style stores opened in the 1980s and 1990s were “too big and expensive to run in the current retail environment”.

Toys R Us will be instigating a a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) where they will seek creditor’s approval to shut outlets in order to save costs.

In September, Toys ‘R’ Us parent company filed for bankruptcy protection in the US after running up $5bn (£3.7bn) of debts, and it’s UK unit has also been facing the same problem. Toy shoppers now favor shopping online not to mention competition with supermarkets and the likes of Argos

You can find the list of store they're planning to close here.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/04/toys-r-us-close-uk-stores
  2. Import Expert

Import Expert

A huge shame for the employees that will lose their jobs. They haven't moved with the times as a company. I have a huge store near me (Ipswich), but inside its very aged with staff that don't exactly sell the business to you as a customer. The prices are not exactly spectacular either (You can usually fine cheaper online)
  3. Cody

Cody

Totally agree here with @Import Expert. They just haven't caught up with the times really. Everyone is moving to online, where Toy's r us just hasn't. hey've missed out on this a long time ago that I feel if they try to incorporate this into their strategy now, it wouldn't work. There's too much competition now, and as you said, you can find cheaper products online.