1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

UK Pick & Pack Service...

Discussion in 'Sourcing & Freight Services' started by Inferno House, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slgoods

slgoods

What on earth are you talking about? Maybe you can fool some people but not most. I worked was trained up by the big four couriers companies and just from reading your note it is totally wrong. At the moment DHL/ TNT etc… has recently over the last couple of years called DHL Mail. What this means is the post is collected by DHL vehicle if the volume is over a couple of hundred a day. The mail then goes into a sorting conveyor belt to have the stamp put on them before it can go through to Royal Mail to sort and deliver the mail. It is not the other way round. I was trying to be polite in my last mail and give you guys the benefit of the doubt and gsnet, although from here you try to sound like a customer backing up your provide, to me it sounds very much like you’re the same person who working in cahoot. I have referred this advert over to the DHL who will launch an investigation to the use of their company name to be associated with your company. You never know they might even ask you to tend for the contractor driver business as you are offering a pick up and delivery service cheaper than what they pay their contract drivers to make one drop off. However, I doubt you would be able to put in a tender application, because first you write you use DHL and now your stating you no longer offer DHL service, instead you use self employed drivers, all this change of heart becuase people has questioned your statements make you sound really fishy.
  2. slgoods

slgoods

DHL does not offer mates rates. They have shareholder and are a major employer. If they can offer mates rate to friends and family of worker then their normal customers will go mad. Why pay £79.97 for a 10kg parcel to Ireland when you get can get it for a £1 on mates rates? This goes the same for all the big 4. The only mates rates we can offer is a slightly discounted rates from the orginal full book rates. I wonder with your statement if I would be able to get ex-employee rates. Surely that would be cheaper than mates rates
  3. gsnet

gsnet

Hi Guys,

In reply to the thread I posted last and the number of posts following this... In particular Mabs and SL goods. Please checkout the below link if you want more information on downstream access:

http://www.btbmf.co.uk/mailing_hous...onal_mailing/downstream_access_uk_postage.htm

Now seraph I can assure you that DHL for high volume mailings do use Royal Mail for the final mile... how else are they going to deliver it? Drive it to every house?

Mabs you seem to be making logical sense, however I was trying to use the knowledge I'd gained from doing my own research into this guy and how he was doing it. The information I gained from the link above is what made my answer seem accurate. However Postcomm 'The Ofcom' of the postal industry did open up these distribution houses in 2003 to allow more competition and put an end to this Royal Mail monopoly. My understanding is that Royal Mail either break even or yield a little profit out of letting haulage companies use these centres. Also Amazon, Play.com etc already get huge discounts from Royal Mail through MailSort, ParcelSort etc which can get them 30-40% of our standard prices. Amazon I know for a fact sort all of their mail into postcode categories.

I like everyone still wish to know how he did this? By hiding behind a few ............ it just proves there clearly is something very dodgy about this... or maybe not? If he'd care to explain it would put an end to this thread... or should I say put an end to this game of 'Cluedo'. If we are playing 'Cluedo' can I request Colonel Mustard!
  4. gsnet

gsnet

Also another thing... This company BTBMF... who can I just say I am not advertising! They state that this Downstream Access scheme can actually compete with MailSort3 (24-48 hour delivery) which is basically the Royal Mail business price plan providing the biggest discounts for the biggest volume. Anyway just wanted to state some figures:

Cost of sending a 0-100g Large Letter with Mailsort3 = 25.8p + Sortation Discount (11%) = 23p
    Cost of sending a 0-100g Parcel with MailSort 3 = 77p + Sortation Discount (15%) = 65.5p (Under 75p)
    Cost of sending a 101-1000g Parcel with MailSort 3 = 81p + Sortation Discount (15%) = 68.9p (Under 75p)

When I say Sortation I mean your company itself sorts the mail into a specific Royal Mail format which includes postcode sortation into 8 different area codes.

Does make it seem possible and also Steve's rates more sane.

For more information of Royal Mail discounts click the link below:

http://www.mailsorttechnical.com/docs/Rate_Cards_Apr_09/2009_2010_prices_document.pdf

Cheers, Hope this helps.
  5. mabseyuk

mabseyuk

I agree for non trackable items but that was not what was being offered. What was being offered was a DHL Service with Tracking numbers provided.

I got a leaflet from BMW today, and it said DHL on the back and was delivered by my postman as regular post and without looking closley the only sign it was DHL was a small black and white emblem on the back stating DHL Mail. This was non trackable mail and I won't dispute that someone like DHL can take advantage of what you said in the other thread to deliver non trackable mail in the Final Mile.

What I am disputing is that a 75p service can give you a DHL or Courier like Trackable Service including packaging material.

Mabs
  6. gsnet

gsnet

You have a point there, to what extent was it tracked though? A DHL Airway Bill may have been provided however only informed you of when it had left the DHL depot and arrived at the local distribution centre. For 75p confirmation of actual delivery would be impossible you are correct. 75p is reachable though as MailSort3 suggests.
  7. slgoods

slgoods

gsnet : - From what you are saying you clearly are confused but instead of finding our more you are determined to preach about something you do not know anything about. I have just told you I worked for the big 4 including DHL and TNT who was mentioned. I sold their services to businesses and passed onto the lead to the guy who deals with the mail to put a tender for the Amazon contract - so trust me I do know how the system worked.

Below is a complete definition of what downstream access mean, so after you understand it please stop confusing others with it. I would be very annoyed if for one of my clients to use a pick and pack service like the cleaver Canadian and lose everything they have worked for. In addition, I now work a consultant and I hate for one of my clients to being confused after reading your very convincing post because you believe Royal Mail uses DHL to deliver their mail inland. All couriers use each other but that is a different lesson. But in terms of UK mail downstream access (DSA) means a third party company like DHL/ TNT will go to collect the mail, sort it etc… before it goes through Royal Mail. This is what I said in my previous post, it is defiantly not the other way round. It is Royal Mail postman who will deliver them door to door not DHL driver. You can go through TNT or DHL mail and get postal prices cheaper than going to Royal Mail direct but you have to do the volumes and it has to be a couple of hundred. Think about it these mail houses have just done a third of the work so they have to get it cheaper. Think of the deregulations in the mail industry is just like the energy business. Before you use to get a British Gas who supplied your gas and in the Midlands, East Midland Electricity supplied your electricity. When the deregulation happed it opened the doors to competition. You still get your gas and electricity by the same means because it goes through the national grid and nothing changed except your bill and the company you are backing up. Mail industry is the same. Although there are plans to have a complete replica of Royal Mail operation from end to end it is not happening now.

Did I say you were confused earlier, or desperate? There is legitimate reason why I think you are the same person or working in cahoot. I am questioning what to me seems like desperation to protect of someone’s else’s business. I am confused!!!! Why would someone read up on a sales lead see there is so many questions or attack on integrity of the business and feel they need to back that person up. Surely most people would just read on it, learn from it and leave it alone. I would understand if you come from logistical background and you know exactly what is happening but from what you have said, I doubt it very much. The only logical answer to me is that you are this person and has opened more than 1 account. This is very much like eBayers opening up 2/3 accounts usually within the space of 6 months or uses a friend’s account. In order to save face this type of person would think of ways to protect themselves by either speaking in what psychologist call “third person effect” or a use of a friend. What I believe, and I am entitled to my own opinion, is that in your dyer desperation to stop these allegations you found and clung onto “downstream access” because you thought that was your answer. Now, why would anyone try to find an answer to protect someone else’s business???? If you did use that person alarm bells would be ringing to stop and draw business away from there until thorough investigation has been done.
  8. Seraph

Seraph

That isn't DHL though, DHL are just providing the haulage AFTER it's been sorted:

DHL do not use Royal Mail for their final mile - they have their own solution http://www.dhl-globalmail.com/dpgm?tab=1&skin=hi&check=yes&lang=en-GB&xmlFile=720

As mabseyuk has already posted this isn't what was being referred to in this thread and I have to say I think it highly unlikely that somebody working from home would be generating enough volume of mail to eligible for the sort of discounts Mailsort offer.
  9. slgoods

slgoods

Thank you Seraph. These mail houses only makes 1-3p per mail which isn’t much at all. The amount of mail needed to make it viable business cannot be generated from home, unless its really big where it can contain a warehouse and is big enough for commercial vehicles to come in and out of to load up.
  10. gsnet

gsnet

SL Goods. You seem to be taking this a little seriously. I was simply providing a potential solution to the problem which faced us. I did a considerable amount of research on the topic and simply published my findings. Congratulations by the way on your employment for these 'Big 4' haulage companies, I shall have a medal made up for you and I will send it via 1st Class post.

Now if you'd kindly like to go back to my original post re-read it I'll think you'll find your definition of DSA matches mine. DHL Collect, Sort and then deliver the mailings to Royal Mails distribution centres who then proceed to hand deliver it.

Seraph I can assure you that DHL's Global Mail business solution uses Royal Mail for the final mile of the inland deliveries, if you'd taken a little time to ring the customer services they would have told you this themselves.

I've based the majority of my posts upon information I've found on the BTBMF website, who are one of the largest fulfillment houses in the UK. If you disagree with them SL goods on any of the information I've provided then I really do question your ability to call yourself an expert.

I like everyone else here think Inferno House was doing this in a dodgy way, however my ethic to provide a solution has been shot down at the first hurdle even though it appears to match what you are indeed trying to say SL goods.
  11. Nick-D

Nick-D

I have physically been to BTBMF and i deal with downstream access in my job, i would say that the service offered here was not using a downstream access company, they deal in large quantities of mail which is of a certain size/weight.

For example downstream access would be ideal for sending out 50,000 brochures of the same size and weight, mail sorted into sacks.

It would not be good for 500 items in jiffy bags of different sizes/weights, mailsort will not work unless there is a certain number going to an area.

Downstream access companies make their money from the fact they do very little, they pick it up from you, drop it off at royal mail, job done! If you have not sorted it, weighed it etc they will not take it.
  12. Michael

Michael

Remember this service was being advertised as a way to beat the Royal Mail strikes so I'm guessing Royal Mail wasnt involved at any point of the delivery.
  13. gsnet

gsnet

That raises another important point. To what extent did the strike extend to? Was it the whole system including the delivery rounds? My understanding is that the Royal Mail must have been involved to deliver these packages at such a good rate.
  14. DEI

DEI

I was reading all the post through and i know what you say ... but what i wonder is ..Did anyone tried this service ?? Can give some short review is it positive or not ? as it would be nice to have this type of service im only interested in delivered products dont care about anything else :D
  15. longslongsilver

longslongsilver

Ill solve the problem over DHL pick and pack rates, inferno dropship, was using a mate of his who worked for DHL to send parcels. his mate was putting it through the system and doing it as a favour to him and charging him virtually nothing, its all very dodgy and proabaly illegal.

Now that everyone has questioned it and kicked up a fuss he dare not do it anymore, for fear of his mate getting found out.

As i have said before, avoid the business or suffere problmes, end of story
  16. DEI

DEI

Ok Thank You for summary :)
  17. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

You seem to be very interested in inferno house longslongsilver, I seen you pop up in another thread to give a 'summary' of alls wrong with them.
  18. Tracy

Tracy

Definatly very interested....
    The only posts Longslongsilver has made on this forum are about Inferno House.
  19. DEI

DEI

Thats why i asked if any1 of ye ever used this service and can give reliable feedback ;/
  20. ballymoremonty

ballymoremonty

You could be more productive with your TWF membership than just bashing one company llsilver.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.