1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

Using parcel service instead of freight forwarder

Discussion in 'Logistics - Payment & Shipping' started by geeks123, Oct 31, 2019.

1. geeks123

geeks123

Hi,
    I'm trying to import some items from a UK based distributor.I'm new to import business. The supplier says i should use a freight forwarder to handle the shipment. I however have an account with a parcel service (fedex/dhl). I had requested for a pickup at the supplier warehouse but he had denied it and has suggested for a drop off (through his courier) at a parcel service or freight forwarder.
    How does parcel service handle documentation differently than the freight forwarder and how does drop off work for a parcel service?
    Sorry if this question seems too basic or unclear.
  2. Erik

Erik

Hi!

I believe it would be best to have this answered by those who are in that line of business. Let me tag in a couple - @Import Expert @Power Forwarding
  3. Import Expert

Import Expert

Thanks @Erik

Much depends on the shipment size. As a general rule of thumb, anything from a pallet upwards should be handled by a freight forwarder, less than that would probably be more cost effective by a parcel carrier. You mention 'importing' from the UK, so not sure where you are based and where goods are being imported to, but if non-Eu then in terms of customs procedures, the process is more or less the same.