Using Social Media Tools To Advertise Your Business

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by sjwtrade, Nov 23, 2009.

1. sjwtrade

sjwtrade

[​IMG]

Using Social Media Tools To Advertise

Theres been many discussions lately about the use of social media tools as a form of advertising so I thought I would put down my opinions and a few tips on this subject which some may find useful.
    A couple of the most successful social media tools currently are Facebook and Twitter.

Twitter
    Twitter is a micro-blogging social media tool which allows users to follower other users and post small comments know as tweets.
    The figures vary on users and hits but its fair to say its well in the millions.
    Twitter is a fast and convienent way to keep prospective and current customers up to date.
    In a matter of seconds you can update clients with news, offers and general goings on.

Facebook
    If you haven't heard of Facebook you have obviously been spending to many times with the faires.
    Facebook is a far more adaptable social media site than Twitter as it has a good few extra features.
    With Facebook you can find friends, add photos and join groups.

Tips and Tricks

Ok so theres an outline of two of the most popular social media tools but how can this benefit sales?
    Well heres a few ways we market and promote ourselves on these sites and we have had some good success (especially on Facebook).

The twitter background can be fully customized with your own design which is a great feature as your background can show off your offers, contact details and pictures etc as well as standing out from the crowd.

Post on a regular basis so people get hooked, posting sporadically will make people lose interest and soon not bother reading what you have to say.

Choose your Twitter / Facebook name wisely.

The worst thing you can do is bombard your followers with items you have to sell. Don't over do the selling side of things as people will just see you as an advertising vehicle.

Keep your posts fresh, light hearted and up to date.

People like gossip, share the goings on at your company, stock news and any funny stories or general chit chat.
    Then, every now and again, throw in a post specifically about what your selling and hit your target audience with your selling pitch.

Post special discounts specifically for that site, "10% off for Facebook friends", "Twitter Special Offer only For Our Followers" that type of thing.

Facebook has one big factor that we always implement. Whenever you make an online sale you have immediate access to that customers email address. Pop this email address into facebook, you will be surprised how many of your customers have a facebook account, friend request them and if they accept you have customers watching your posts and spreading the word. Its a great tool for your customers to leave you comments about their experience with you and lets other prospective customers see your interaction.
    This is not a form of spamming as the person in question does not have to accept your request, it is their decision. We find many customers accept an invite and enjoy seeing stock news and reading our general gossip.

Use the Facebook facility of uploading photos to show people your products in greater detail.

Use the Facebook profile image as a means of promoting your items. We currently run a deal of the week which we promote by advertising this on our Facebook profile picture.

For eBay sellers one great tool is that you can link your eBay with your Facebook account, everytime you list a new item on eBay it shows on Facebook.

You can also link your Twitter account to your Facebook account, this means that every time you make a post on Twitter it will automatically show on your Facebook account saving you time and killing two birds with one stone.

Its no good trying to maximise social media marketing if people don't know about you. Display links to your social media groups whenever you can, websites, listings, email signatures, spread the word. There are loads of free social media icon sets you can find by doing a quick google search, use these to place on your website and emails as links.

Overall, keep it light, keep it fresh and up to date, interact with people and comment on there posts too.

Thats just a brief outlook on social media sites but I hope for some, it is informative.

Of course there is alot more you can do with more time and effort but I do think that for the right sellers it is a side of the internet that is a must to get into.
    The market is huge, your target audience can be reached and all for free.
    For some it works, for others the rewards are not enough, for me its an essential form of marketing in todays social media world.
    Thanks for reading.

Stu
  2. DaleB

DaleB

Thanks Stu!
    A great read! :)
  3. JustCraig

JustCraig

Great read. I have been thinking about doing this for some time.
  4. sjwtrade

sjwtrade

Well we have certainly seen a positive reaction, as I said mainly Facebook but thats just our experience and you need to give your Twitter account time to grow.
  5. jayjrc

jayjrc

great idea with the deal of the week, i have both a twitter and facebook account and according to your post i have not utalised them enough, come new year i will be reffering to this post alot! great read! should be stickied!
  6. successjourney

successjourney

Fantastic! :niceone:
  7. Tracy

Tracy

Brilliant post Stu thanks!!

I know what im doing today now! :)
  8. suttons33

suttons33

Great post there!! We have a ladies boutique and we have a group set up on facebook so when we receive new stock we can email out, also we give £5 vouchers out to all members on their birthdays and advertise any offers we have on.

It is a really effective advertising tool and from it we have had 2 bookings for clothes parties which were both really successful.

The best free advertising!
  9. Nick-D

Nick-D

Nice read, we have not bothered with social network marketing yet, simply because we don't have the time that i feel is required to do it properly. Too many people do like you said on twitter and just post about products/ offers, if you really want people to read you need to have stuff that people really want to read.

One thing we are tempted to do on facebook, ive seen it before is something along the lines of:

set up a fanpage and then add all current customers you can find, send them all a message with a carrot on stick type offer of "If we get 100 members by xx date everyone gets a voucher for 10 percent, 500 member 20%, 1000 members 30%" or something along those lines.
  10. suttons33

suttons33

Definitley do it, as I put in my post it has been really effective have 150 members and it keeps rising each week!

Brilliant advertising tool so if you can do it!!!

11. fd.ltd.uk

fd.ltd.uk

We recently opted for Twitter , giving out weekly business thoughts to take home for the weekend. In the new year we will expand it so the idea sent out can be investigated further by visiting the website and reading in greater depth.

The plan is to achieve regularity that will stimulate discussion and spread our name.

I would add that whatever social sites or media are used it is important to remain focused and do it well instead of jumping into every possible vehicle with great enthusiasm and finding after a few weeks that you are struggling to keep them all up to date , let alone with relevant postings
    NSY
  12. darren1

darren1

Thank you for sharing! I just need some tips about this . Appreciate your post !
  13. NKdist

NKdist

A very useful article!
  14. cosmotiki

cosmotiki

HI,
    I've started with twitter, now I'll try facebook.
    It is very good post, thank You!!!
  15. Best Gadgetry

Best Gadgetry

Twitter is good.

Avoid Facebook. There is no potential there. People go on facebook to chat, browse pictures and waste time, not to click on links.

Wasted money on two FB campaigns.
  16. Dorey

Dorey

fantastic post, thanks very much
  17. Kevind

Kevind

Wasted money? I'm assuming you bought ad-space? I think an ordinary Fanpage might be more interesting, no? Hey, if it fails, it' was still free, right?;)
  18. justpolo

justpolo

thanks for that i have been thinking about this for a while
  19. inet

inet

20. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

I would also say look at Yearbook, its outgrowning facebook currently in the USA, and with facebook people have to be your friends to see your links, on yearbook everyone can see them :) I would also strongly suggest that on yearbook you also make a profile that will "appeal" to the people you want to grab.

When I was advertsing on there, id get a few hits, when I got one of my girlfriends to post the link, far more hits and a lot more sales :)