Using Social Media Tools To Advertise Your Business

Discussion in 'Social Media, SEO/SEM & Online Marketing' started by sjwtrade, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jonathanyates

jonathanyates

I think this is a great article and really resonates with the following which I found:

Do you have a product site or service which you need to drive a ton of traffic to?
    Here are the 10 core ideals you should be thinking of when considering a Social eCommerce strategy for your eBay business.

Build customer relationships and build consumer confidence.

Invite people to take part in forum and group discussions for their particular market sector.

Let customers know who you are and let your personality shine through. People want to do business with people, not a trading platform.

Ask for testimonials in the form of Videos, Photos, Blog Posts, Tips & Tricks

Start sharing how other people are using your product or service in ways you have never imagined.

Ensure your sites have the same look and feel: from blog, forum, twitter, flickr, youtube and your main site pages the user experience and branding should always be the same.

Learn about your customers and engage them in questionnaires. Customers want to buy into you as well as the products.

Remember the 4 P’s of marketing success- The right product in the right place at the right price to the right people (in the right packaging and part of the right promotion) – I always believed there were 6 P’s

Constantly change according to your customers needs. A business grows to take into account changing customer trends. If you don’t know what your customers want then how can you change your business to suit them?

Make existing customers feel special with tailored offers and early releases. Always give them something unexpected and then customers will become your own sales team.

Social media is a two way conversation – engage your customers with more than just a product, create a buzz about who you are and why buying from you matters.
  2. funy

funy

Yeah, social media marketing is now more and more popular.
  3. mosean

mosean

I agree that social media tools are really important and they play a major role in the success of a business but I am of the view that we should not leave other methods of advertisement. A business must try every single mean for the advertisement of its products or services.
  4. J_Smith

J_Smith

Another excellent and informative article, thank you. It seems that social media has really hit off in the last couple of years, perhaps 2 years ago or maybe more I wouldn't have contemplated setting up a social media account for a business, now it seems the done thing.

A few questions spring to mind when reading the article.

I am not sure what use this would be but are you able to put affiliate links into your social media pages? Say for example your business is that of a webdesigner but you do not provide hosting, however you do recommend supplier x and supplier y, depending on your needs. Would it therefore be possible to have links to an external site (affiliate links) so that the users would count towards any commission you receive?

A question to people who are currently using some form of social media site for advertising. How good has the uptake been by customers, especially when it comes to commenting on your posts or posting items on your wall, or providing feedback? Do you feel that it has opened the doors for better business to customer relations?
    Is it at all possible to restrict other users ability to comment directly on a page that others will see? I don't doubt that someone somewhere out there takes pleasure in foulmouthing a business on a social media site just because they think it would be funny, are there any safeguards against this?

What is your preference when it comes to maintaining a good social media account? Do you set aside time during the working day to make a post, the same time each day? Do you restrict the number of posts that you make during any day? Or is it more of a spontaneous thing, where when you have something to say, you say it there and then?

I have little to no experience with social media websites, but is it at all possible to create surveys that you could then post for other people to respond to? Has anyone had any experience of this?

@ jonathanyates: You are right, there were initially 4P's (Product, Price, Place, Promotion) but this has increased to 7P's now adding People, Process and Physical evidence. It is amazing what sticks and what doesn't from your education! :)
  5. TradeSparq

TradeSparq

6. Superfly00

Superfly00

Hi and Id like to add a few points to those already here.

First things first you need to think about what you want to achieve before even thinking about any of the tools which are out there. Give it some thought and then look at all the options. Thereafter you can consider things like blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc. When considering these tools think about which one(s) are going to help you achieve your objectives. Where is your audience and which is the best way to reach them?

Bear in mind that social media can be a big commitment so give this some thought as in how you're going to fit it all in. Plan ahead.

I will post further info on other areas but for starters here is some info on blogs:

A blog is a great way to talk about your products and services but you should also use it to bring the people behind the brand/services to life. Talk about yourself and what you've been up to from time to time. Have a content schedule as in decide what you're going to talk about say 3 months in advance. Post regularly. There's nothing worse than having too few updates as people will get bored/disinterested and wont come back. Share the blog writing out amongst staff if you have any. Think about guest blogers as in customers, suppliers, etc. Make sure you include pictures and videos as this helps from a visual point of view. Keep the posts concise and dont write the equivalent of 2 A4 pages. Break it up in parts if you want to go into a lot of detail i.e. part 1, part 2, etc. Check out your competitors for tips and ideas... what are they doing and how are they doing it.

Think about how you are going to get people to visit your blog. Advertise it in your email signature, website and if you respond to a comment anywhere on the web (ie blog post or if youre a member of a forum) make sure your blog/website/contact details are always visible.

Finally engage with your customers/visitors. If they respond to a blog post make sure you reply. Thank them and/or respond to any questions. Remember these people can talk about you (positively hopefully) and this can lead to leads/new business/etc.

Oh and one more thing. Monitor what people are saying about you so you can respond. if someones unhappy try to resolve the issue rather than let it fester. Other people will think you're running a business which cares about its customers and they will TRUST you. Try Google Alerts as this can be a good way to see whats out there but there are other tools you can also try.

Cheers
  7. Anthony

Anthony

Superfly00, you've posted some great tips there. You are either heavily involved in this sector or have done a great deal of reading. I would love to read more from you.

The issue of posting regularly is a important one, as it's vital to keep that communication flowing, especially once you do all the hard work and get people interested in what you are saying. Product reviews for retailers is another thing that will help drive traffic to your site, as often, buyers will scout around for honest, independent reviews on products before purchasing. If you happen to stock the product being reviewed, even better, you can capitalise and hopefully generate a sale as compensation for all the hard work in writing the review.
  8. xEMZx

xEMZx

I had a facebook account for my business.. lasted about 3 months and did really well. Unfortunatly for some strange reason, while I was on it.. Facebook had disabled my account so I can no longer go on it.. Anyone have any reasons why this may happen?

I had no explanation off facebook and still get messages from people to my email address asking where I have gone. Some people have opened up a case in paypal, because obviously they cannot get in touch with me and are furious as to where I have gone. I did try and get in touch with everyone but it was hard because some people paid with postal orders and I didnt have their emails to be able to get in touch with them.

I might try a fan page, but with these you dont get notifications do you?
    I will try anyway!

Thanks
    Emma
  9. penuya

penuya Banned Member

Summersized well,I have learned,thank you for your share.
  10. Superfly00

Superfly00

Thanks Anthony and I have done a fair bit of reading, usually on a daily basis. Im going to write another one very shortly which is going to be on monitoring social media which is important and anyone can do it.
  11. Superfly00

Superfly00

Monitoring the web/social media is important so that you understand what people are saying about your company/activity. Its important to realise that the web is an extension of your reputation so therefore it is vital to see what is being said about you and even competitors. The web is a referral point for many people even if its b2b. If there is a choice between 2 companies and one has a positive presence on the web and the other has a negative or no presence, a company is more likely to go with the former. If its negative you can turn it into a positive by trying to sort out someone's grievance(s).This shows you are pro-active and care about your customers and, it can turn a negative remark into a positive one. Also, if the issue is resolved the person is more likely to talk positively about your company thus increasing your reputation.

There are lots of ways of doing this ranging from free tools to paid for tools. The paid for tools are pretty expensive but there are lots of good free tools which monitor the web and send you an alert when something comes up so you dont need to do anything once they are set up. Google Alert is a good one and for Twitter there is Twilert. Make sure the words you search are unique so that you get relevant results rather than hundreds which wont be manageable. This may not always be possible so you may need to tweak your searches to make them more precise. Use words within speechmarks for phrases eg "happy customer". If you carry out a promotion or some activity on the web this will allow you track how well you are doing.

Another tool worth looking at is Social Mention and you can also set up alerts too. If you do use this tool make sure the alert is set to ALL rather than just blogs or any of the other options.

One thing to bear in mind is that these tools wont find everything which is out there. It wont find content from closed networks such as forums which are closed to non users but it will still be better than not doing it at all.
  12. addlo

addlo

This a very useful article, though written a while ago it is still very applicable. Thanks