1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Have you checked if your business appears in our directory? Add your basic information for FREE!

Click Here to know more!!

If you would like links to source leads, upgrade from £12.50 a month!

Click Here to subscribe!
Dismiss Notice

Hi Guest!

Our website stays online because of the support of our advertisers. A huge part of them are from banner ads that appear on our site. While some of them seems to be intrusive for some, these ads are needed to keep our community running and continue providing free membership service for buyers.

In light to this, we request that you disable ad blocking programs or add our website to your ad blocker's whitelist. This keeps us from offering our basic membership to everyone for free and help with maintenance costs of our website.

If you have already disabled ad blocking programs or added us into the whitelist, please ignore this message, this message will disappear in a few seconds!

We've migrated: bugs/feedback discussion

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Feedback' started by Anthony, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Anthony

Anthony

If you're reading this then you have found our new home. Welcome!

As announced a few days ago, this was a planned migration and we talked about it in this discussion. In case you are really confused and struggling to grips with the new platform, don't fret, we have a video that I've produced to help you out:

We will be ironing out bugs over the next few days and would also really love to hear your feedback. Please feel free to share it in this discussion.

Thanks!
  2. Mark S

Mark S

First of all GREAT new page!

But what about a "edit" function in threads.....
    Anthony likes this.
  3. Volantary

Volantary

Things align in opera! Amen!

First impressions, its a huge improvement. I've almost exclusively used VB on my time on the internet so it'll take a bit of getting used to but it looks fully featured enough :)
    Anthony likes this.
  4. Anthony

Anthony

Thanks Neko. You should be able to edit posts up till an hour after you've submitted them. If that isn't the case, let me know, as there is an error.
    Awesome - thanks! And yes, it will take some time to bed down (as do all changes) but we believe that in the long term this will be an extremely beneficial move for the community.
  5. eShop

eShop Banned Member

Looking good Anthony, very easy to navigate through it aswell, Well done to the TWF team

Alistair
    Anthony likes this.
  6. Anthony

Anthony

Many thanks, Alistair! It's been a long day, but it's been really worthwhile to get it launched in time for next week. Do have a good explore, there are lots of new features :)

Happy to help with any questions as you go through.
  7. Volantary

Volantary

Just seen the alerts feature in action - absolutely loving it! The thing forums have been missing is a proper unintrusive but comprehensive alerts system, subscriptions in VB just didn't cut it.

My first criticism: when you hover over your username at the top the menu comes down automatically, which is a pain. Can you make it so we actually have to click the button? And for that matter, all items.

And also, no first names in postbit :eek:
    Anthony likes this.
  8. Gary

Gary

You control your mouse, don't hover over it :p

In essence I agree with Alex, the alerts system is great and love how customisable everything is!

I was wondering if the thanks were going to migrate over into likes but I guess not so am I right to assume we all start again from scratch?

I would just like to add a MASSIVE well done to Anthony and the team for putting all this work in bringing us this great new platform, especially on a Sunday!
    Anthony likes this.
  9. Anthony

Anthony

It's marvellous isn't it?! :D What's even more awesome is if you get one like this when you're typing a message (click thumbnail below).

alert-in-action.png

First names are supposed to go next to the time stamp underneath your post (instead of username currently). I need our developer to get that sorted along with a few other pieces tomorrow/next week. Noted on your other feedback, we'll keep that in mind.

Cheers!
  10. John

John

Looking good, apart from layout when using netbooks is pretty squashed...

Good Job TWF!
    Anthony likes this.
  11. Anthony

Anthony

Hey Gary, welcome! :)

I mentioned the likes issue in the other discussion. We're hoping to transfer the statistics over but this might not be possible due to the fact the 'thanks plug-in' was a third-party development rather than core with the software. There is no guarantees that even if we can get the data transferred across it will actually map to the corresponding posts on the new platform. We'll see.
  12. Anthony

Anthony

Thanks, John & welcome! We'll take a look at that more closely tomorrow/this week.
  13. Gary

Gary

I understand mate, obviously it's way too many members to edit individual profiles...lol, it's just that to newer members whom this is the first thing they see they may wonder why long serving members don't have many likes and / or feedback..lol

Though I'm sure you and the team will do what you can and if not, hey guess we'd better start adding more quality content ;)

A small price to pay in the grander scheme of things!
  14. Anthony

Anthony

There was always going to be the odd sacrifice here and there with a move as big as this (the migration of data alone took over 6 hours). It's strange as some of the older 'thanks' did seem to come through but only a fraction of the real number. I'll know more later in the week when we dig a bit deeper. The further you go with these things though and the more likely things are to break (been there, done that), so we'll see.
  15. Mark S

Mark S

16. Gary

Gary

Like I said in my last post mate, small price to pay in the grander scheme of things, completely understand you not wanting to chip away at the core!
  17. Pete

Pete

One thing I did notice, but it may have just been me not paying attention.

I replied to a thread on the second page of New Posts, but after posting the reply I ended up back on the first page and had to go back to the second page on my own. In the past, after posting you stayed on whatever page you were on after posting.

ALSO - miss the Member Since and number of posts, maybe this can be changed in profiles? As always I dive in first and only check the depth when my nose grates the bottom..... :)
  18. Anthony

Anthony

The restriction is in place to prevent spammers returning to posts they may have made initially in good faith and tarnishing them. Policing the community is hard enough, there has to be some restrictions in place to prevent such abuses of the platform.

Once you've become an established member (7 days registered, 10 posts) the restriction is increased to 24 hours. We might consider reviewing that at some point, though.

To keep the conversation flowing we recommend you post replies rather than editing initial posts. Other members who may have read your first post and couldn't help might subsequently be able to assist you based on new information you provide.

Hope that helps.
    NekoSteamBoy likes this.
  19. Mark S

Mark S

Thanks for this great answer! :D looking forward to stay at this awesome place ;)
    Anthony likes this.
  20. Anthony

Anthony

Hey Pete, glad you made it across! :)

First issue could well be a freak bug. However we've had to do some pretty nifty htaccess redirects to get the old content to work with the new system. Your case certainly doesn't sound normal as I have replied to threads that were first created on the old system and ended up in the right location. If it continues to happen, let me know?!

Second, if you click a members username this information along with other useful data is presented in a nice box. We've deliberately omitted these two items from the discussion view as the thinking behind it was that these numbers are not relevant to all members and we wanted more focus to be on the content and flow of discussions than statistics that we believe the majority of folks become blind to after a while. It's certainly something you'll miss initially (it's a reference point), but I think it encourages folks to dive into profiles a little more and get to know people better. As with all feedback, though, if enough folks demand its return, it's a fairly easy one to put back.