What % are you happy with?

Discussion in 'Wholesale and Trade' started by T D Sales, Feb 15, 2013.

1. T D Sales

T D Sales Banned Member

Ok so i keep reading thread after thread and post after post about price wars, open market, free market ect ect...

My question is what % are you all generally happy with. Ill start and its prob not amazing but im happy with
    30% NET profit from every £100 spent although i actually achieve nearer 37% NET at present
  2. mdsltd

mdsltd

If we turn 10% im exstatic! Reality is more near single figures year on year
  3. Kingamer

Kingamer

Looks like no one wants to answer this. For me it depends on the item and yhe price of the item and it goes from as little as 10% to 100% I dont have a fixed number
  4. Bizi

Bizi

it depends on the turnover if its 100 million a year ill be more than happy with 1%
    my current net profit before tax vary between 15% to 25% product to product
  5. Andy777

Andy777

100%+ on un-branded and my own brand items.

On branded items, 30-50% (but those are NICHE brands, not mobile phones or designer clothing).
  6. Ian Gourlay

Ian Gourlay

Andy
    Thanks for reply on previous thread but not clear are you talking 100% Mark Up that gives you 50% Gross
  7. andrew page

andrew page

if im not doubling money im not interested although as a rule of thumb general profit is 200-400%
  8. beacon hill

beacon hill

Anywhere from 10% to about 900%
    The 900% markup (net) is the one I,m happiest with :cool: .
  9. uniqbuy

uniqbuy

Largely depends on where you are selling, how many competitors, and whether your competitors are the type to start price wars. The best products are probably high profit modest turnover. They are hopefully less likely to catch the attention of big sellers as the turnover is not huge and make decent returns.
  10. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

At the moment im selling information (think of it like an eBook) that a lot of people need in the UK and normally get charged £100's for, it costs me nothing to get hold of this information (and its all legal) and I resell at around the £10 mark, but it does take me around a hour per sale to generate what is needed.

I have no idea how I would work out my % from the above!

When im selling "goods" I look for anything over 10% but have been known in the past to purchase items at £10 and resell at £150 - its the luck of the draw!
  11. mdsltd

mdsltd

I'm clearly in the wrong industry! Some markups mentioned here are amazing :)
  12. Pete

Pete

There seems to be continuing confusion between markup, margin, gross and net.

Gross and Net are percentages of the SELLING price, not how much you add to your cost.

This thread is over 4 years old, but business accounting hasn't changed in centuries. Most of you need to read this, you can never gross or net over 100%, unless possibly someone pays you to take the goods off their hands. If you pick up stones in the driveway and sell them, you will net 100%. Best you can do. That 400 and 500% is BS.

**********************************************************************************************
    Gary and Tango34uk like this.
  13. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

But as much as I have made good sales, at times I like im sure most have us have "invested" in items that I cant make a profit out of!
  14. Andy777

Andy777

Sorry, yes - I meant mark up.
  15. Ian Gourlay

Ian Gourlay

At the moment im selling information (think of it like an eBook) that a lot of people need in the UK and normally get charged £100's for, it costs me nothing to get hold of this information (and its all legal) and I resell at around the £10 mark, but it does take me around a hour per sale to generate what is needed.

In that case you are selling way too cheap . If you provide a service that takes time and expertise you should aim for a minimum of £50 an hour. However if its a product you can just download onto a disc fine.

Do I need your product perhaps I should buy while its £10:)
  16. Ian Gourlay

Ian Gourlay

When I had a shop and bought in special lines ie not stock that turned over on a regular basis I did not consider I had made margin until I sold last one . And when retailers do close and traders buy left over stock at low prices overall margin is drastically reduced, but that is how some people get very rich
  17. Sc0tty

Sc0tty

I aim for 30-40% profit, I have some higher and lower, but want atleast 20% profit. Though as I am expanding I am happy to lower that.

As a return on my investment, or markup, I want from 100% and up to 200% return on my investment once all costs are taken into account. But again that varies. For small items I would want nearer the 200%, for more expensive I am happy with a 50% return.
  18. Pete

Pete

You bring up a good point, Chris. One I often mention. You must also consider the goods you bought that didn't sell, the soiled items that went in the bin, the stuff you donated or sold at auction. All of this has a heavy impact on your return on investment.

Speaking of which, from the way it is being used here, I'd say some folks ought to also get a clearer picture of the accounting term "return on investment".

It's bad enough trying to compare apples and oranges, but in this thread it seems we also have bananas, mangos, kiwis and turnips.

Until everyone is using the same scoring method, making sense of figures is impossible.
    liamhawes likes this.
  19. Tango34uk

Tango34uk

I think im charging far too much at £10 a hit, but then again It dosnt take "hard" work, I just fire off some emails wait for a reply... and repackage the reply and then send back to my customer! - But I do save them a lot of money :)
  20. Jed

Jed

I work between 10-20% net profit on average. However I've just recently stumbled across an item with an 80-85% net profit margin which is pretty insane so I will be cashing in on that :D